Anal gland problem

meandmrblue

Visit site
Holly is always going to vets with anal gland problems.vet says the fluid is quite thick,anyone have similar problems and has anything helped relieve this problem. Thanks.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
You could feed Profibre which is a pelleted supplement that goes in the food. That often helps with anal gland problems.

Shady

Visit site
You could feed Profibre which is a pelleted supplement that goes in the food. That often helps with anal gland problems.

Yes, look at diet, more fiber needed for harder poo's! or there could be a food intolerance , it's a horrible problem that i am very familiar with, so much so that i learnt to empty them myself:eek3:
After a period of trying different foods i realised he had a wheat intolerance that upset his stomach so his poo's were too soft to empty the glands. Could be the same problem for yours?

scats

Visit site
My 8 year old dog has always suffers with anal gland issues. She has always got soft poop, despite trying lots of different diets (raw, no grain, you name it)

She basically has the equivalent of IBS and very rarely has normal stools. This means that her anal glands don't sufficiently clear.

twiggy2

Visit site
If a dog is on a suitable diet their poos should always be a hard and non smelly as white bone poos. The vast majority of dogs are eating food that does not agree with them.
If stools are soft try a hypoallergenic food for 10 weeks then introduce other good quality foods slowly.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
One of mine perpetually used to drib but has almost stopped, no change in diet. He's always been raw fed. I was taught how to empty the glands by the vet, saved me a fortune going back and forth.

We added bran (I know, shoot me) to another's food for loose stools.

dingle12

Visit site
My jrt has had continual problems with his and he's only young (2 in April) I know how to fully empty them but it was turning into every few weeks. We had them taken out about 5 months ago best thing ever. He had bran in his food, bones you name it nothing helped I think just some dogs are prone to it. If your dog is insured and your having to get them done a lot go for the op.

Clodagh

Visit site
My jrt has had continual problems with his and he's only young (2 in April) I know how to fully empty them but it was turning into every few weeks. We had them taken out about 5 months ago best thing ever. He had bran in his food, bones you name it nothing helped I think just some dogs are prone to it. If your dog is insured and your having to get them done a lot go for the op.

I have only heard bad things about the op, so good to hear it can be a success.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Same as Clodagh, I heard it might lead to fecal incontinence. Maybe techniques have moved on. If that's an option for the OP, please ensure you see someone who has performed the op lots.

Moobli

Visit site
My shepherd had to have his anal glands flushed and packed and he has never had an issue since.

I did research into having the glands removed - just in case, and it seems it is a delicate operation but is often very successful, especially if done by vets who perform this op regularly.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site

My vet says it can be s conformation issue, rather than dietary.

dingle12

Visit site
I was shocked how fantastic he bounced back after surgery, and if I'm honest he is a wuss of a jrt. It took 3 days for him to have a poo all stitches dissolved on time too he never once tried biting them. The only thing he did try a few times was scurry on his bum. The chewing of his feet and back end stopped right away.
I have so much trust in my vet as I've worked with him before and I agree make sure you have a good vet.

I did have photos but I cannot find them sorry, also you can see no scarring what's so ever my jrt has funny markings on his bum and you wouldn't even know he's had anything done.

Last edited:

Mister Ted

Visit site
Holly is always going to vets with anal gland problems.vet says the fluid is quite thick,anyone have similar problems and has anything helped relieve this problem. Thanks.

My terrier had very loose poo and was always scooting and looking round anxiously at his backend.I had him for a couple of months and his previous owner said he was always runny and smelly.I was determined to sort it out as constantly cleaning his bum was very time consuming! After a bit of googling the most useful solution was to give greens,parsley and spinach which firm up the stools,just a small amount finely chopped added to the food.I also changed food to Lilys kitchen wet, Lamb and the small trays of organic.It is a bit pricey but top quality and being a small dog it works out ok.I use Dorwest Supergreen powder which is parsley and watercress, and the Easy Keeper which is a seaweed mix.He only gets about 1/4 teasp daily.The change has been amazing.Its been several months since and runny poo is a thing of the past. Now its sweet smelling and firmed up totally and all his anxiety about his scooting etc . has gone.A relaxed and happy dog. The" greens"work for blocked glands too.

QuantockHills

Visit site
One of my GSD's was regularly in the vets with anal gland problems and infections. They recommended adding a large spoonful of plain bran to his food. Touch wood, we have had no problems since and he's 11 now. I bought a 20 kilo sack of horse bran for about £7 and give it to all the dogs but you can get a smaller bag. Dont bother with all the expensive supplements, try the basic remedy first and keep feed as simple as possible. good luck.

w1bbler

Visit site
Mine had continuous problems, tried diet changes, regular bones in diet nice firm poos. In the end opted for the op, she had to have 2 courses of antibiotics before the op to clear infections, never had any problems after.