...And here comes the Kevin's?

Cragrat

Visit site
I feel that horses can feel insecure if they feel alone without a strong companion.

I'm not sure it's simply that they need you to dominate, but they need to feel you can make decisions, otherwise he will make them for you. When you demonstrate you can take charge, they feel safer and relax, and don't feel so much need for other horses.

I think TRT Tristan Tucker teaches this? Others probably too. So telling him firmly , but not making a massive deal, and carrying on with your choice of activity, gave him reassurance. All this natural horsemanship moving their feet, making them turn left / right/ back etc, just lets them think about a job to do, gives them instructions, so they don't have time to feel lost and afraid.

Elno

Visit site
I feel that horses can feel insecure if they feel alone without a strong companion.

I'm not sure it's simply that they need you to dominate, but they need to feel you can make decisions, otherwise he will make them for you. When you demonstrate you can take charge, they feel safer and relax, and don't feel so much need for other horses.

I think TRT Tristan Tucker teaches this? Others probably too. So telling him firmly , but not making a massive deal, and carrying on with your choice of activity, gave him reassurance. All this natural horsemanship moving their feet, making them turn left / right/ back etc, just lets them think about a job to do, gives them instructions, so they don't have time to feel lost and afraid.

Yes it must have been a part of it, because like I said it was like flipping a switch- from moving back and forward, fidgeting, kicking etc etc to hanging with his head low, standing still and letting me faff around all I wanted. I even tried again to go back to hind legs and he was fine with it. Amazing really. With the risk of me anthropomorphizing him- it kind of felt like he happily settled when I challenged him and (maybe according to him) took control of the situation from him? Like we had to go through and establish rank all over again and he settled after I put him in his place? I don't honestly know, and it will be interesting to see how he behaves the days to come.