And I found this interesting too re. the CKCS lady...

HeatherAda

Visit site
http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/976/why-i-spoke-out-about-cavaliers-by-margaret-carter/

Seems some people at the breed club are delightful.
mad.gif

I wonder if anything was done to the breeder who continually used her stud dog to mate after being diagnosed with syringomyelia... "The dog had produced 26 litters since his scan in 2005".

echodomino

Visit site
Did you know that I don't actually have proof that syringomyelia is a condition that actually exists? I can't remember the ins and outs of it though. Not that that excuses the breeder for carrying on using the dog at stud if there's a suspected problem.

Foxfolly

Visit site
Our friend has 2 CKC's, they both have it, one mildly the other has it quite badly and is now on medication for life!
The symptoms were firstly scratching a lot then yelping in pain. So it definitely does exist as a condition, friend has had both hers scanned so it is obvious on the scans that the bottom of the brain pokes out of the bottom of the scull!!

I find it sickening that they can carry on breeding from dogs known to pass thins condition on!!

_Acolyte_

Visit site
As with the TV programme which sparked all this furore, this is just one perspective on this issue. Here is another:

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

ETS - sorry, click on the link to the press release, it wont give me a direct link to it!

I found it very interesting to find out that the indication on an MRI scan which suggests syringomyelia is present is not conclusive - there are examples (sample size not known) of dogs which have been scanned which do show the indication which has been 'defined' as showing the condition, when the dog definitely does not have the condition

I feel further research is required
smile.gif