And let the torture commence

Toffee44

Visit site
Muzzle time!!! Anyone else muzzling fatties yet?
B242FDE8-3533-4B3B-A9A4-F1182A348D8C_zpst1mzedzo.jpg

Shes in half an acre the plan is get grass down she stays put with muzzle off hopefully and the old ginger girl can strip graze the rest of the field or just get turned out depends if even at 25years old she explodes too!

SuperH

Visit site
No but they have had the paddock reduced down to a small ish patch and the grass is still poor. Debating having one for fatty mare but I'm not sure she would keep it on, she is very resourceful and determined! How do you find yours stays on? Any types better than others?

B&J

Visit site
Regime started yesterday, topped field, strip graze now until winter. In at nights all year round, muzzles etc etc :-(

J hates me already and being off work with a sore hind leg for the last 2 weeks hasn't helped, he has ballooned!! Anyone else hate Spring & Summer or is it just me?

Bernster

Visit site
Haha he looks like he's off to a festival :)

There's been a post on FB a few times about some poor woman having a terrible time with someone removing her pony's muzzle and leaving rude signs about it being cruel etc. Pony is a laminitis risk. Grrrrr.

katymay

Visit site
Yeah my little fatty is muzzled during the day and in at night on soaked hay, he hates it and it gets so sore on his muzzle :( other pony on restricted grazing but has a little bit of extra green stuff overnight, luckily I can turn out right by stable so the can still chat over the door, my rented paddock has a footpath through the middle and found fatties muzzle was off the other day so think someone took pity on him, grrrr

AlwaysWorried

Visit site
The riding school that I leant at had a nightmare with the neighbours/random passers-by cutting off grazing muzzles. In the end it came down to either overgrazing the fields or standing the ponies in on concrete for hours, because they all lived out and didn't have stables.

wyrdsister

Visit site
Not just you B&J! I have one with EMS (and navicular), so I dread summer. It's all muzzles, strip grazing & praying she stays sound enough to work, while her field mate looks on in bewilderment!

B&J

Visit site
Not just you B&J! I have one with EMS (and navicular), so I dread summer. It's all muzzles, strip grazing & praying she stays sound enough to work, while her field mate looks on in bewilderment!

Mine has EMS too Wyrdsister :-( Is yours on Metaformin? J was last year but it didn't seem to make a difference so vet took him off it again but after a 2 week bloom am wondering whether to try it again

Summer pudding

Visit site
I am today for the first time ever..I visited him earlier and he seemed ok...but I've worried all day whether I've adjusted the straps correctly - it's the Shires de luxe with added sheepskin/fluff. The instructions were very vague, so advice welcome. I watched the other bucket muzzle wearers and they seemed to be able to 'flick' the muzzle slightly to get the grass. Does anyone recommend the Green Guard...or any others, as I'm worried the fluff will be hot and sweaty. So yes, the torture has begun..but I think it's me in agony...!

Toffee44

Visit site
She tends to be ok keeping it on, she got the green guard off all the time so went back to this. I

I am lucky I have summer and winter fields.

They will probably come in during the day in june july august heat dependant as both of them hate the heat and the flies.

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
Us too! Muzzle has been on chubby nanny pony for 3 weeks now - she's furious!! :D There's barely enough grass to get through the hole yet her crest is firming up! She's high maintenance in the summer as she's either in for a snooze, out on a mini track with no grass & soaked hay or out with my 3 yr old with her muzzle on! I keep it on by plaiting it into her copious mane & luckily she can still swear violently at the youngster so there's no chance she can remove it for her!! She's worth the effort tho as she's been a great Nanny McFee to my youngster & this will be their last summer together, after that she'll be back on full time track/hardly any grass/soaked hay & she won't have to be muzzled!!

Copperpot

Visit site
One is going in fatty grazed down paddock on Saturday. Then in at night in his woodchip paddock with hay. Hopefully I won't have to use the muzzle this year. But I am prepared and have 2 at the ready. He trashed last years one.

catwithclaws

Visit site
Mines had his muzzle on for about a month now. He's out from 7am till about 2pm, comes in to be ridden, then stands in without food until about 5pm when he gets 2 small slices of hay and no hard feed at all. He's still bigger than I'd like...These little natives can be impossible!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Fortunately for me, our lot are on poor grazing, with (IMO) lots of other horses. I timed mine one day: under two minutes to get the muzzle off. Demon!

Summer pudding

Visit site
She tends to be ok keeping it on, she got the green guard off all the time so went back to this. I

I am lucky I have summer and winter fields.

They will probably come in during the day in june july august heat dependant as both of them hate the heat and the flies.
Did you attach a pic..I can't see it?

Fransurrey

Visit site
I started yesterday, too. Hoping to take it off when grass is down as they've moved to the smaller paddock after it not being grazed for a couple of weeks. I've been putting soaked hay down for her, as she eats that happily through the muzzle, whilst my gelding is munching the grass down. Her girth ballooned over the weekend, hence the drastic action!

Hoofprints101

Visit site
Our little older pony has been muzzled from this week - poor little sole looks so miserable with it on; I'm sure it's only a matter of time before he figures a way to pull it off.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
Yep!

The last two weeks or so now - if another livery tells me they don't think I need to muzzle as they don't think there is much grass out there, I might scream :D

To be fair, there isn't much grass if you own a poor doer TB type - but for my metabolically challenged, insulin resistant & laminitic native pony ... There's enough grass coming through for if to be a concern!

I'm on an 'out for some full days muzzled, some days stabled with ad-lib soaked/rinsed hay and some days half day turn out muzzled' routine.

He's looking & feeling really well at the moment - I'm not one that likes keeping in, but this seems to be really helping, so whilst we are going through this seasonal change, he'll be on a mixture.

Last edited: