Pictures And now for something completely different...? (Well there's no prefix for it, anyway!)

Surbie

Visit site
That looks amazing! Fab write up and your ginger looks so chilled.
Am so hoping my spooky eejit will calm down enough to do this some day. Am also right-handed and left eye dominant so no hope of hitting anything intentionally but it looks so much fun!

JFTDWS

Visit site
That looks amazing! Fab write up and your ginger looks so chilled.
Am so hoping my spooky eejit will calm down enough to do this some day. Am also right-handed and left eye dominant so no hope of hitting anything intentionally but it looks so much fun!

It's totally epic, and you should. If you shoot left handed / the wrong way round it should be ok - I think the issue comes if you shoot right handed being left eyed! But again, I don't know what I'm on about really :p I'm sure yours will be fine - the coach reckoned he had a pretty high success rate with horses for it - even with some poncy bit dressage types!

Best.Thing.Ever (big butt oranges AND attacking Urak Hai!)

I quite agree :D :D :D

Looks awesome... Ah to have a horse actually in ridden work, a lorry (sold mine, see previous point) & the ability to aim (no really, I struggle to throw balls of paper into a bin a few feet away & often randomly drop things which I guess wouldn't go down too well if I dropped anything expensive & horse archery bows sound like that may fall into the category of expensive but delicate!). Hmmm even if I could fulfill some of the above my orange numpty is not quite so chilled as your wonderful Carrot (He identifies himself as more of a Rincewind & would be somewhere in the next County by the time the arrow reached the target (having probably left me as a sacrifice to the monsters somewhere along the way!)

I ah also sympathise with feeling the need to be committed somewhere post TREC committee meetings to make sense of what was actually discussed / agreed on (most of ours are done via conference call which is a slightly surreal experience for someone who doesn't have the sort of job that requires this ie me!) I don't need much encouragement to be confused by TREC anyway sometimes as let's just say map reading is not a strong point of mine!

Ha! Well if you're ever in the east, I could loan you a highland! I drop things all the time and walk into door frames and stufff. You can't be worse than me! And bows are expensive, but not so expensive or fragile as to worry about that much... I bloody love that you have a Rincewind to my Captain Carrot though :D

That sounds traumatic - I don't do people, let alone conference calling :eek: I appear to be traceuring two events now, and I got into a bickering debate about websites. I may not be invited back - which is impressive for a volunteer, surviving only one meeting :p I mean, who picks the idiot who can't navigate as a traceur?! My winter trec results are always pretty positive - the moment a POR is involved, they're shocking. This should tell people something!

This looks so much fun! You have inspired me to try it next year 😃

Excellent! Good for you :D I'd recommend my coach, but it would be a bit of a trek for one of you ;)

JFTD am bloody ancient compared to the likes of you!😂

Older than me does not equal "too old to pretend to be Legolas" in my book :p

albeg

Visit site
I'm just back from a TREC committee meeting, actually. I feel like I need committing to some kind of asylum now :p You'd be very welcome - though where we'll actually be depends on timing ;)

Welcome to the madness 😂😂

That sounds traumatic - I don't do people, let alone conference calling :eek: I appear to be traceuring two events now, and I got into a bickering debate about websites. I may not be invited back - which is impressive for a volunteer, surviving only one meeting :p I mean, who picks the idiot who can't navigate as a traceur?! My winter trec results are always pretty positive - the moment a POR is involved, they're shocking. This should tell people something!

I prefer it over skype than in person!
If it's any help, I find it easier when I'm tracing than riding! Might be something to do with not having something wander round in circles as I try to let my compass settle...
Just find a good tracing partner that you get on well with and it'll be fine. :D

McFluff

Visit site
Fab report - it is such fun, and what a dude your horse is - three sessions in and my mare still isn't sure about shooting from walk (all the standing desensitisation is fine, and shooting from canter is absolutely fine though!). Merlin archery and Quicks are both good to kit yourself out. Oh, and our latest coaching tip is to 'draw' using the other arm as often as you shoot to prevent developing asymmetry. My next challenge is to beg for some unpaid time off work to go to summer horse archery camp...

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Oh God. You're so brave.

Theres a mounted archery club that runs from my yard... I'm not brave enough but I jokingly offered my Skye up to my friend to take to archery camp in the summer and she was all for it. Doubt she'll be as cool as your Skye about it all though!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh God. You're so brave.

Theres a mounted archery club that runs from my yard... I'm not brave enough but I jokingly offered my Skye up to my friend to take to archery camp in the summer and she was all for it. Doubt she'll be as cool as your Skye about it all though!

Nah it's epic, you don't need to be brave at all! You should give it a go. Didn't know the club up your way runs from your yard... I have my eye on them if the master plan comes off ;)

Welcome to the madness 😂😂
I prefer it over skype than in person!
If it's any help, I find it easier when I'm tracing than riding! Might be something to do with not having something wander round in circles as I try to let my compass settle...
Just find a good tracing partner that you get on well with and it'll be fine. :D

Ha, well I'm going with the TD so hopefully won't get lost and die out there in the wilderness ;) Advantage of skype is, I guess, that they can't lamp me if (when) I over step the mark!

Fab report - it is such fun, and what a dude your horse is - three sessions in and my mare still isn't sure about shooting from walk (all the standing desensitisation is fine, and shooting from canter is absolutely fine though!). Merlin archery and Quicks are both good to kit yourself out. Oh, and our latest coaching tip is to 'draw' using the other arm as often as you shoot to prevent developing asymmetry. My next challenge is to beg for some unpaid time off work to go to summer horse archery camp...

Gosh there are an unusual number of archers on here aren't there?! It's really epic, I'm so glad I went :D Coach recommended Quicks - I have them open in another tab :p I'm trying to behave and not spend a fortune instantly, but it's very tempting :eek: Camp sounds incredible too...

oldie48

Visit site
Just loved your report, keep them coming. Oh to be younger, stronger, braver with 20/20 vision and a sensible horse that I could actually ride without needing reins to hang on to! How the hell do you canter and steer without reins whilst shooting a bow and arrow? Respect!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Just loved your report, keep them coming. Oh to be younger, stronger, braver with 20/20 vision and a sensible horse that I could actually ride without needing reins to hang on to! How the hell do you canter and steer without reins whilst shooting a bow and arrow? Respect!

That is somewhat what the channel of poles is for - to remove the need to steer! But the mare is pretty epic - she just gets on with her job. I think she prefers it when I have something to do, saves me interfering with her! :D

albeg

Visit site
Ha, well I'm going with the TD so hopefully won't get lost and die out there in the wilderness ;) Advantage of skype is, I guess, that they can't lamp me if (when) I over step the mark!

Ah yeah, you'll be grand! Bring lots of snacks just in case! 😂 (or if there are big hills, speaking from recent experience on that one)

Skype also means you can't lamp them either though. 😂

JFTDWS

Visit site
Ah yeah, you'll be grand! Bring lots of snacks just in case! 😂 (or if there are big hills, speaking from recent experience on that one)

Skype also means you can't lamp them either though. 😂

No hills - I live in bloody Essex!

I think they're more likely to lamp me than the other way round... ;)

albeg

Visit site
No hills - I live in bloody Essex!

I think they're more likely to lamp me than the other way round... ;)

😂 Self-defense lamping so?

Locally we don't have hills, but we picked a champs venue with loads of very big hills. I advise sticking with Essex!

JFTDWS

Visit site
😂 Self-defense lamping so?

Locally we don't have hills, but we picked a champs venue with loads of very big hills. I advise sticking with Essex!

I'd rather shoot them. Why do you think I've taken up archery? :p

Probably wise :eek: I get wobbly looking at some of the mountain type POR scenes. I'm not OK with heights. I don't even like horses over about 15,2 :p

Boulty

Visit site
Ha! Well if you're ever in the east, I could loan you a highland! I drop things all the time and walk into door frames and stufff. You can't be worse than me! And bows are expensive, but not so expensive or fragile as to worry about that much... I bloody love that you have a Rincewind to my Captain Carrot though :D

I may one day take you up on that (although I'm currently feeling nearly as broken as the pony... not riding would appear to be rather bad for my back... absolutely nothing to do with the roughly 500-600 miles I'm driving per week that the moment because special pony lives in the different County I'm sure!) As for the pony it could even be said that he has his own (much less vicious, unless you count it occasionally dropping things on my head or nearly falling on me in a malicious manner on a few occasions) version of The Luggage in the form of a large metal locker the size of a double wardrobe that has so far done about 5 yard moves with us. It is the most awkward object known to man to move & every time I do I swear I'm leaving it behind next time! Blooming useful for putting stuff in mind!

Oh I'm not trusted to do anything as important as that (yet or maybe ever... my sense of direction really is appalling! I often wonder why I chose a sport so blatantly not suited to either this or my stupidly short attention span... went on some POR training the other week which involved counting steps to measure distance (on foot), kept either losing count or being hopelessly out!) I am attempting to be in charge of BRC team stuff but currently I have no riders wanting to represent us (admittedly that may change as Summer approaches) & so no entries to make or people to bombard with emails about flu vaccination policies & hats & body protector rules so instead I listen to the people who know what they're doing talk about much more important things (like whether giving vouchers as prizes is the best idea since sliced bread or likely to induce total chaos) & try to wrap my confused little head around which voice belongs to which person

NLPM

Visit site
Looks awesome! I am also left-eyed and right-handed, so I feel your pain... I only know that from field archery though; I'm not brave enough to try horseback archery on any of mine! One has no steering, one would take advantage of no reins and do her own thing and the other would be scared I think. I would need to go somewhere where they will be provide the archery equipment AND a sensible horse, otherwise the only thing I'd gain from the session would be bruises. Yours looks like she's been doing it all her life - what a cracking girl.

I used to be on H&H a good few years ago and I remember your two lovely Highlands. Hope they're both well!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Looks awesome! I am also left-eyed and right-handed, so I feel your pain... I only know that from field archery though; I'm not brave enough to try horseback archery on any of mine! One has no steering, one would take advantage of no reins and do her own thing and the other would be scared I think. I would need to go somewhere where they will be provide the archery equipment AND a sensible horse, otherwise the only thing I'd gain from the session would be bruises. Yours looks like she's been doing it all her life - what a cracking girl.

I used to be on H&H a good few years ago and I remember your two lovely Highlands. Hope they're both well!

Well there are places that do that officially, but if you're in the east, you could borrow a highland ;) I think field archery sounds terrifying - targets further away, and no excuse for screwing it up!

She is pretty epic. She's not bad for a rising 6 baby ;)

I may one day take you up on that (although I'm currently feeling nearly as broken as the pony... not riding would appear to be rather bad for my back... absolutely nothing to do with the roughly 500-600 miles I'm driving per week that the moment because special pony lives in the different County I'm sure!) As for the pony it could even be said that he has his own (much less vicious, unless you count it occasionally dropping things on my head or nearly falling on me in a malicious manner on a few occasions) version of The Luggage in the form of a large metal locker the size of a double wardrobe that has so far done about 5 yard moves with us. It is the most awkward object known to man to move & every time I do I swear I'm leaving it behind next time! Blooming useful for putting stuff in mind!

Oh I'm not trusted to do anything as important as that (yet or maybe ever... my sense of direction really is appalling! I often wonder why I chose a sport so blatantly not suited to either this or my stupidly short attention span... went on some POR training the other week which involved counting steps to measure distance (on foot), kept either losing count or being hopelessly out!) I am attempting to be in charge of BRC team stuff but currently I have no riders wanting to represent us (admittedly that may change as Summer approaches) & so no entries to make or people to bombard with emails about flu vaccination policies & hats & body protector rules so instead I listen to the people who know what they're doing talk about much more important things (like whether giving vouchers as prizes is the best idea since sliced bread or likely to induce total chaos) & try to wrap my confused little head around which voice belongs to which person

Meep, that's quite some mileage you're racking up. I hope your Rincewind appreciates your efforts! You say your Luggage is less malicious, but "falling on you" does sound like a calculated plan to eat you. Never trust sapient pearwood!

I can only imagine they're truly desperate to trust me with anything... I also can't count strides, though in my case, this came to light in a jumping lesson with Harry Meade - which is always embarrassing! It doesn't help with TREC at all. At least archery the runs are short and you only have to count to about three (or, keep shooting till all the arrows are gone!). Does sound like you're getting an easy ride as Quarter Master there! We were also bickering about vouchers as prizes...!

albeg

Visit site
I'd rather shoot them. Why do you think I've taken up archery? :p

Probably wise :eek: I get wobbly looking at some of the mountain type POR scenes. I'm not OK with heights. I don't even like horses over about 15,2 :p

😂😂

I don't mind big hills on horse, but have had enough of hills on foot to last a lifetime! We're celebrating not having to climb giant hills again until the competition weekend (and hopefully will have something to bring us part of the way there then) by finding the flattest possible place and bringing the horses for a spin 😂

Last edited:

JFTDWS

Visit site
😂😂

I don't mind big hills on horse, but have had enough of hills on foot to last a lifetime! We're celebrating not having to climb giant hills again until the competition weekend (and hopefully will have something to bring us part of the way there then) by finding the flattest possible place and bringing the horses for a spin 😂

Never walk yourself when a horse is an option ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh and I meant to say, NLPM, highlands are fine, thanks! They've had a bit of a quiet winter what with circumstances, but they're out hacking all the time and generally getting into mischief!

Fergus the other day:
56276084_986627208212992_5064380927250006016_n.jpg

Dae when I got home from archery (he "aten't dead", honest!):
57066181_997063370502709_6237137106225856512_n.jpg

albeg

Visit site
Never walk yourself when a horse is an option ;)

Unfortunately really difficult to measure distances (have you seen our maps, they have so little detail, and the originals are 1:50000?!) with a measuring wheel from the back of a horse. Maybe I need to train the grey one for that, but even that's only really useful for local stuff.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Unfortunately really difficult to measure distances (have you seen our maps, they have so little detail, and the originals are 1:50000?!) with a measuring wheel from the back of a horse. Maybe I need to train the grey one for that, but even that's only really useful for local stuff.

Duct tape. Broom handle. Push your trundle wheel from pony's back using extra long handle.

Also, GPS...

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Nah it's epic, you don't need to be brave at all! You should give it a go. Didn't know the club up your way runs from your yard... I have my eye on them if the master plan comes off ;)

Yup they do a tonne of on foot training here, and then loads of the outdoor stuff is scattered about locally.

I am awaiting confirmation of master plan some day... ha!

albeg

Visit site
Duct tape. Broom handle. Push your trundle wheel from pony's back using extra long handle.

Also, GPS...

We do use it now (one of the many things I love about Viewranger), but because of funny little bits/no field boundaries on the maps/very little detail/areas of questionable GPS coverage we have to make sure with wheel and compass.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Yup they do a tonne of on foot training here, and then loads of the outdoor stuff is scattered about locally.

I am awaiting confirmation of master plan some day... ha!

The wheels of progress are slow to turn, here. But they are turning - fractionally and with all the inertia of an elephant being squeezed into a fridge.

Clearly you won't see the back of me then, if the master plan comes off!

Reactions: TPO

JFTDWS

Visit site
We do use it now (one of the many things I love about Viewranger), but because of funny little bits/no field boundaries on the maps/very little detail/areas of questionable GPS coverage we have to make sure with wheel and compass.

Yea it's not perfect. Oddly lots of our bridleways aren't even marked on OS maps (on viewranger or on actual maps!). It does make it tricky!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Makes it "fun" for the riders though 😈 :p

Sniggers.

I threatened to set a POR route alongside the dual carriageway (on the bridleway on the other side of a fence) and the committee members nearly had a breakdown :p

albeg

Visit site
Sniggers.

I threatened to set a POR route alongside the dual carriageway (on the bridleway on the other side of a fence) and the committee members nearly had a breakdown :p

We rode down the side of a motorway and across the motorway bridge on one! There was a decent margin either side of the fence, and it's not an overly busy motorway, but still busier than a normal road. Sure, they're TREC horses, a bit of traffic should be grand! ;)

JFTDWS

Visit site
We rode down the side of a motorway and across the motorway bridge on one! There was a decent margin either side of the fence, and it's not an overly busy motorway, but still busier than a normal road. Sure, they're TREC horses, a bit of traffic should be grand! ;)

That's my mentality... But apparently I'm evil :p