And the lesson is....

P3LH

Visit site
...multiple:

1) not to assume anything based on appearances. When walking the dogs this morning and someone we usually say hello to asked what I had done to my hand which was bandaged, they responded with ‘but the rough collies are so gentle!’ When I said ‘damages my wrist and they think maybe fractured a finger or two. Accidental dog bite’

2) never to forget as an owner that after generations of being heelers corgi’s have immense power behind those jaws.

and most importantly
3) to move your hand significantly bloody quicker when using a tug toy with an over expected and incredibly incredibly highly driven Pembroke corgi bitch who could give some BC’s and some GSD’s a run for their money with drive...

Completely my fault. You would never imagine the raised eyebrows at the ‘what did this to you’ ‘corgi...’

pointless thread—but I know there are some of you who do enjoy her antics. I really need to ‘do’ something with her I think as her brain is wasted. I also post really as despite being fond of the breed (obviously) even I’ve been impressed by what fun they are and how much they really can do and I’d rather shake off this following they have based on ridiculous photos on Instagram.

There was a repeat mating carried out and pups due imminently. I am hiding all corgi related emails from my OH. Despite this ones siblings all being more in line with modern temperament of laid back, Disney character looking dog—she takes after the bitch line which in very much ‘old school’. I know even if I contemplated the idea...I’d end up being drawn to one just like her again.

Two in my house would signal four horse men taking to the skies. And I’m already bald enough.

Attachments

• E189C0BF-CED5-46AD-8443-ED9A4826701E.jpeg
    E189C0BF-CED5-46AD-8443-ED9A4826701E.jpeg
    816.5 KB · Views: 19

Bellasophia

Visit site
Corgis..ha!
My first dog ,at twelve ,was a corgi. Lliffon Mabinogion ,so “old line “ ,he would have been stellar in the show ring.....
but this boy had trodden a different path in life.My father was an Nspcc inspector,after leaving military life.He was on his rounds ,in N Wales ,when a lady asked him if he had time to look in her outdoor toilet...she felt
he could help. Fearing a child in great need ,dad went to the area to find a yellow,emaciated dog....the lady begged him to take the dog as all they could afford to feed him was dried bread.
The dog,Kim, became my first love.We fed him meat ,probably for the first time in his awful life and he turned into a magnificent ,deep mahogany ,red.
He came with me on my wild rides with my welsh pony....in those days a kid of twelve could go off all day without any supervision....Kim came with me to university,he slept at my feet ,in the raised wooden bleachers during lectures.
So Luke,I can relate to your post...fearless ,huge dogs of small stature.Dogs brave enough to tackle a belligerent cow,and win. Corgis rule.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
If you want to continue to measure your strength against your quick as a weasel Corgi, perhaps when your injury have healed, you could try some exercises intended to improve your hand reflexes?

Hope your injury heals as quickly as possible.

so-elite-much-fast.jpg

P3LH

Visit site
If you want to continue to measure your strength against your quick as a weasel Corgi, perhaps when your injury have healed, you could try some exercises intended to improve your hand reflexes?

Hope your injury heals as quickly as possible.

so-elite-much-fast.jpg
The dog and I have had an understanding since she came home at ten weeks...she is smarter, quicker and knows better than me. Working with this rather than against it has made for a much more harmonious relationship—I will however start playing with mouse traps or gin traps (which is ironic given her name) I think!

P3LH

Visit site
Corgis..ha!
My first dog ,at twelve ,was a corgi. Lliffon Mabinogion ,so “old line “ ,he would have been stellar in the show ring.....
but this boy had trodden a different path in life.My father was an Nspcc inspector,after leaving military life.He was on his rounds ,in N Wales ,when a lady asked him if he had time to look in her outdoor toilet...she felt
he could help. Fearing a child in great need ,dad went to the area to find a yellow,emaciated dog....the lady begged him to take the dog as all they could afford to feed him was dried bread.
The dog,Kim, became my first love.We fed him meat ,probably for the first time in his awful life and he turned into a magnificent ,deep mahogany ,red.
He came with me on my wild rides with my welsh pony....in those days a kid of twelve could go off all day without any supervision....Kim came with me to university,he slept at my feet ,in the raised wooden bleachers during lectures.
So Luke,I can relate to your post...fearless ,huge dogs of small stature.Dogs brave enough to tackle a belligerent cow,and win. Corgis rule.
Those conker red corgi’s are rare as rocking horse you know what these days. I think they are fab.

Annette4

Visit site
Two corgis is almost the perfect amount of corgis, it's scientifically proven that 4 corgis is the perfect amount of corgis ?

My OH learnt a valuable lesson about corgi speed when trying to take a bone from Jack. He'd seen me do it lots and tried to do the same as me without remembering that I was his respected mum and he was 'that man mum lives with' ? thankfully his shoe took the brunt.

P3LH

Visit site
Two corgis is almost the perfect amount of corgis, it's scientifically proven that 4 corgis is the perfect amount of corgis ?

My OH learnt a valuable lesson about corgi speed when trying to take a bone from Jack. He'd seen me do it lots and tried to do the same as me without remembering that I was his respected mum and he was 'that man mum lives with' ? thankfully his shoe took the brunt.
I must admit I have been very tempted. Very very tempted. It’s a big litter, lots of tris with big white blazes (tris are my preference) but equally some really really ‘old school’ dark reds as opposed to fawns. A really nice and even litter.

If it was a year or so down the line very possibly. I think the gremlin is still too young (and too naughty) to cope with a new house mate. I also know, as do ‘the corgi people’ that I’d end up with another her...but that would be impractical and really any future compadres of her would need to be more laid back for it to work. She throws her weight around too much, the rough collies just ignore her and aren’t that bothered but if there was someone else as hot under the collar as her I think I’d get squabbling. As I’ve said before her littermates are nothing like her, they’re all like their sire.

I also can’t decide about the future really. The corgi people as I call them, a network of people around the line including her breeder of whom I’m in regular contact with, had planted the seed of late about whether I’d consider taking a litter from her further down the line. They think she’s turned out very well. From a purely confirmation POV despite being a bit ‘nosey’ compared to some dogs today, though they are supposed to be foxy as you know—she’s quite nice. Not too long in back, a good length of leg, very agile and sound, a very refined ‘bitch’ head and expression etc etc and moderate, not cloddy. For me the big deciding factor would be a) obviously health testing although there seems to be huge disparity in corgi circles around the reliability of testing for DM and b) she’s incredibly high drive and quite hard work at times—even for a corgi. So thinking about temperament and personality of a stud would be imperative even more so than usual. Typically all the males I quite like that would suit her, are like her!!

I uhm and ah about the concept but the reality is she’d have a lot to offer being sired by an Import and therefore a total outcross, and a different shape to some that we see today meaning she moves as they should, and a bold temperament. Who knows. It’s a lot to consider. I probably think I’ll uhm and ah over it until about four and then decide just to bring another in instead—as that’s what has happened in previous circumstances :)

I would like more in the future though. They are great fun, and I always have someone to argue with which is quite marvellous. Equally I’m not breed loyal to any breed as there’s several I’d quite like to own, and three is my magic number so who knows!

Last edited:

Bellasophia

Visit site
I think you sound very sensible Luke..you have goals,realistic expectation of the breed‘s charm but also are alert to its genetic red flags..DM in corgis is very common.
Like me,you have a cut off number( mine is two).I like that you are breed flexible,as am I..next dog for me will likely be a standard schnauzer...it fits my country lifestyle and is a rustic dog( as per previous post).
I also believe there is a perfect breed for every phase of our lives( rather like husband.......and there, three is definitely my cut off number.LOL)

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
I think you sound very sensible Luke..you have goals,realistic expectation of the breed‘s charm but also are alert to its genetic red flags..DM in corgis is very common.
Like me,you have a cut off number( mine is two).I like that you are breed flexible,as am I..next dog for me will likely be a standard schnauzer...it fits my country lifestyle and is a rustic dog( as per previous post).
I also believe there is a perfect breed for every phase of our lives( rather like husband.......and there, three is definitely my cut off number.LOL)
I’ve researched a lot into DM and it is so grey as opposed to black and white that it makes my head spin. For example -touching wood- nobody behind this one has shown any signs and all lived to very old bones (so I will hopefully have someone arguing with me for a long time to come) yet they could still have the ‘affected’ gene and not show it as I understand. They weren’t tested. The dogs behind her sire were though. Her breeder is very open minded about the whole situation, but was also of the opinion it isn’t black and white.

There are some I know of that have tested positive, but gone on to die of old and shown no signs.

There are several I’ve seen where I can’t fathom why the owners are letting them go on with such poor mobility—and it’s heartbreaking. But equally of these several there have only been a small number that I would say actually ‘show’ the classic dm signs (equally I agree that’s a small number still too many!). There are many I see owners online saying have DM which to me, based on other breeds albeit not corgi’s, look like they are just very old dogs losing mobility and naturally reaching the end of their lives. I remember a time where a lot of old dogs ended up put down due to ‘back legs going’ and similar things. Dogs of all age, because the body had worn out and it was their time. Equally it is becoming more recognised that long term spinal issues can be caused by environmental factors and others such breeding them too low and long, allowing them to be too fat (the amount of obese ones you see in pet groups on Facebook) and allowing them to do steps and jumping when too young. I followed the advice, no furniture and no stairs until at least 12 months. So I think environmental factors and certain breeding fads also play a part.

As I say, it’s grey, so very blinking grey. I’m not one of the naysayers who deny its there and it’s a problem. Equally I’m not one of the naysayers that decree any untested dog as a heathen, as I fear there are some more commercial breeders who’ve made quite a sales pitch from it IMO. I think the way forward is a mix of testing but accepting that saying the sky is blue doesn’t meant it will be, sensible breeding choices, and ‘proper’ breeders who know their lines inside and out and most importantly, are transparent. I also think there needs to be more thoughts given to their confirmation and type.

I am funny though—there’s lots of breeds I like but wouldn’t necessarily live with. But there are some on the ‘future’ list for sure. I just like three, I don’t really have any scientific evidence for it.
If I could find another rough collie like my blue Merle boy who only has ‘half a coat’ as is from smooth parents, I’d break my three rule for four. As that won’t happen, I don’t see it changing soon and can’t see me having anymore rough collies when these two aren’t here in years to come. My other rough, my sable boy, has what’s deemed as a small show coat—and that’s unmanageable And he gets so bothered by it, so I dread to think about the profuse ones you see now and the impact on the dogs.

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
Adore them both but if I could have another like the blue, in looks and temperament—I’d snap it up. Sadly I think I have more chances of purchasing a dodo. He has been the best dog and at seven, just gets better with age. From the moment he walked in at 9 weeks he has just been the dream to live with.

Attachments

• 0ADE852B-2DB3-47EF-BE37-4FE3036CCB38.jpeg
    0ADE852B-2DB3-47EF-BE37-4FE3036CCB38.jpeg
    581.9 KB · Views: 8

P3LH

Visit site
The thing is, an even number of corgis would align the planets :)

Go on, you know you want to really. How can you resist?????
Because this face that peers at me as I type, is the face of a: back chatting, full of herself, wants to do it her way, owns every room she walks into, gets carried away and bites when playing, only occasion owner of an off switch, gobby, bossy, cat wrestling, poo eating, door barking, sock stealing, selectively deaf eared, head strong, never wrong, sulker who will turn her back on you when in trouble, domestic causing (because OH is too soft and coos over her like a hot house flower), trench digging, drama queen and doer of the bizarre, the weird, the unfathomable and unexplainable (eg deciding today after not showing any grumbles around food bowls since a tiny puppy that she’d bite me at breakfast time—serious time out. Or eg. The other evening when she decided feet were evil and would bark and run away from them, and then hide grumbling for the next morning not to be bothered at all)

....but, I do really love the little Sherman tank.

Attachments

• 85958AEA-3C24-4E0F-AD7A-CD07F385ED49.jpeg
    85958AEA-3C24-4E0F-AD7A-CD07F385ED49.jpeg
    771.9 KB · Views: 6

P3LH

Visit site
...please note I didn’t say ‘but I wouldn’t have her any other way’. I am incredibly envious of those who own her siblings who are like laid back teddies and so chilled out they’re practically Arctic. But I am very fond of her!!