And...the pony 3500 miles away is lame. Great.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Yup - problems we think with hocks again. Not quite sure what to do if she is lame again.

Bum. What do you do if your beast is that far away, on loan, and hocks aren't covered by vet 'cos of spavin surgery 2 years ago?

Eaglestone

Visit site
Oh no, that is just not what you wanted, was it
crazy.gif

harvgj19

Visit site
You cry a lot like I did, and hope you can find some kind soul to take him in...

I ended up putting him on full livery with a friend of mine who rehabed him back to health, and she found him a new happy hacker loan home.

It was one of the worst times of my life, and in hindsight I would never leave my horse on loan whilst I moved abroad again. It is just toooooo hard!

Hope you can get something sorted. I suppose the first step is to actually find out what the problem is before you start panicking too much.

Apalacia01

Visit site
The vet did say that she may go on and off stiff - she has been about 1/10 lame behind for a week or so but has been fine up until then (had surgery 3 years ago now I think...)

To tell you the truth, I think the loaner is over-reacting - she is 1/10 lame (which is lame, but she goes in and out). She sent me a video of her, and I can't see anything wrong - doesn't help that the video shows a side on and only moving 3 steps. Can't tell much!!!

frown.gif
Not good.

Thanks for your responses - Harvgj - how did you afford that!? I just started an MA and really don't think I could, and may have to look to other alternatives if it all goes tits up.
frown.gif
I don't think I would be happy just giving her away as a happy hacker, as I don't trust anyone to look after her like I do ! ( REally should have shipped her...even if she is crippled ).

I expect next week that she will be fine, otherwise I will try and give her a few months off and then bring her back into work. i expect she would be fine for light hacking, but we will see. As I said, I may have to look into alternatives.

Thanks Medley and Eaglestone - hope all your horsey stuff is going well over there! Medley - might ask you if poss to drop in when she is riding and give me a real view if thats ok? If it comes to it, I will pm you.

harvgj19

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your responses - Harvgj - how did you afford that!? I just started an MA and really don't think I could, and may have to look to other alternatives if it all goes tits up.
frown.gif
I don't think I would be happy just giving her away as a happy hacker, as I don't trust anyone to look after her like I do ! ( REally should have shipped her...even if she is crippled ).

I expect next week that she will be fine, otherwise I will try and give her a few months off and then bring her back into work. i expect she would be fine for light hacking, but we will see. As I said, I may have to look into alternatives.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not easy! Fortunately my parents helped out. As you say, though she might be fine next week. No point in panicking until you know for sure what you are dealing with. My boy came totally sound for hacking and dressage, just no jumping, and I found a lady who wanted just that, so he is on loan to her. She has now had him for almost a year.
Does the weather affect your horses stiffness? I know it used to play up my friends pony with hock problems. Or is she doing something different with regards to turnout that is affecting her? Maybe she needs more warming up to loosen her before riding? I think you either need a vet or a friend to go and suss out exactly what is up.

Hope you get to the bottom of it and it all turns out ok like mine did!

Apalacia01

Visit site
Well....I have talked to Duckling (the girl on the forum who is very experienced) who has been to see her and thinks (as I do) a week off would do her the world of good and then re-assess, have also spoken to the yard owner.

Just trying not to over-react, you know its hard not to, especially as you are in Georgia! (Why are you there by the way?)

Yes, she will get stiffer in winter, but has not really been any changes, aside from possibly the wet weather. She is out 24 hours so she can keep the legs moving which is meant to help. Only time will tell. Thanks for the reponse!

harvgj19

Visit site
I know its hard not to over-react, but you feel so helpless being so far away, don't you!

Glad you have got some expert help over there to give you some sound advice. Healing vibes being sent that she will be fine after a few days rest.