And this is why you do not use sheep wire as horse fencing!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Yes it may a lot cheaper than post and rail, but it is a lot more dangerous where hooves are concerned. I was meant to be out arena eventing today, but luckily for this horse my dad wanted to go out his bike instead of towing, so I went out for hack with my aunt instead!

We picked a route that involves going past some small paddocks separated by sheep wire. As we headed up, I could see through the hedges that something was wrong with a horse lying down. As we got closer I could see the legs were stuck and the horse was not moving, so we approached quietly as the horses can sometimes get excited and gallop around when they see us hacking past. I got my aunt to hold both of our horses while I climbed the gate and approached the horse, luckily he seemed either calm, or exhausted so he wasn't thrashing about.
20131207_130215_zpsa9fdb63e.jpg

We managed to wave down someone passing by to hold the horses while my aunt ran to the house of the people who own the fields (quite far away! not sure why she didn't take horse but nevermind :p ) . I stayed with the gelding and managed to get his legs out of the wire but he was cast, and making some awful noises. As it happened, the woman who owns the fields and checks the horses was just leaving for a late shift at work and she'd already done the check earlier, and he wouldn't have been seen. Between three of us, one turning his neck, another turning his front legs and another turning his back legs, we rolled him over and he trotted off stiff, but sound.

I've seen this happen twice now :( Who knows what the situation would be had we not hacked by,

20131207_130925_zpsde12f555.jpg

Izzwizz

Visit site
Thank goodness you were there to help the poor thing. First pic looks awful and poor thing pooed probably in panic. Glad this story had a happy ending and maybe the owner will use electric fencing instead. Lucky horse!

ladyt25

Visit site
Blimey! Never seen one get stuck like that! My sister's horse has put his foot in our sheep netting numerous times - getting the wire stuck between foot and shoe. We have now removed most of the sheep netting but, I agree it is horrendous stuff. Mind you, we had horses in our fields for many, many years and only recently owned horses who have got their front feet wedged in! Still, best off without it!

ClobellsandBaubles

Visit site
Also had to rescue a horse from sheep fencing much to my little sisters embarrassment. Not nearly as serious but the fence had come down and the horse had trodden on it and got the wire stuck between him shoe and hoof. Poor guy looked so forlorn dangling a fence off his foot I banged on 6 doors and got chased by a jack russel to find his owner and tell them. Made for an eventful walk.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Bless his heart thank god he was OK he could have got life-ending injuries from that :( . The photos are brilliant for really getting home how serious it could be.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
The other one I saw had the wire stuck in the shoe, it amazes me how calm they can be in situations like this, given that they are flight animals. A lovely little horse though, cantered up to us neighing as we left :) think he was happy to be freed ! If it had been my horse, he would have thrashed around and panicked until either the fence gave way, or his leg did :( hoping the photos may encourage some people who have sheep wire to remove it. keep wondering how he ended up in that position in the first place

PolarSkye

Visit site
Oh my! Glad the poor boy was alright - thank goodness he didn't panic.

Personally, I HATE stock fencing . . . had it at a previous yard and we always did what we could to fence them off it, but I am still aware of at least twice when horses got stuck in it while I was there (18 months or so).

But them I'm not a big fan of wire in general . . . Kal has hurt himself on wire twice since I've owned him . . . once when he sliced a chunk the size of a 50 pence piece off his fetlock when rolling, and once when he got his foot stuck in some barbed wire on the gallops - ripped the hell out of his pastern and required anti-biotics.

P

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Yes I thought it was most likely from rolling, I think the last time I saw it happen the horse slipped and somehow got the shoe in the wire as he slipped. Wire just gives me nightmares, had some in the winter fields where my horses are, and I was up there in the dark cutting it down and replacing it with electric fencing! refused to turn my horses out up there until it was gone

TrasaM

Visit site
Lucky horse that you came along and spotted him. That second photo seems to be saying " ok, enough of the photos! Set me free ! :(
I've also had to release a front foot from sheep wire when it got caught between shoe and hoof. Horse was really good and waited calmly while I untangled him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Bloody hell - awful. I've often had horses in fields with sheep fencing, but have also used electric fencing a meter or so in, so never had a problem.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I think he was saying 'set me free!' but we had to wait for back-up to move him as he was a little heavy for me. Thought it would be useful to get some photos while waiting. When we turned up, he actually had his front legs through as well where he was stretching them out and trying to push himself off

TrasaM

Visit site
So glad you did take the photos. When I first opened the thread and saw the first photo I was worried about the outcome. Such a relief to know he's ok and I'm absolutely sure that he knew you'd help and did thank you for helping him xx

9tails

Visit site
The first photo is shocking, well done for taking them. Also very well done for putting yourself at risk and releasing the chap. Let's hope he recovers and the owners take precautions.

loopylucifer

Visit site
Post and Rail not always better. As mine did just that in a post and rail fence. Took two people with saws to cut her out. Thankful she didn't panic as could have broken a leg. In some ways at least stock fencing is easier to cut with wire cutters than a thick wooden post.

em_123

Visit site
Poor horse, there's some sheep fencing that runs along side my backfield which i taped off straight away. I would be the one with the plank of a horse that would get their feet caught in it lol!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Post and Rail not always better. As mine did just that in a post and rail fence. Took two people with saws to cut her out. Thankful she didn't panic as could have broken a leg. In some ways at least stock fencing is easier to cut with wire cutters than a thick wooden post.
I agree. I initially fenced all of my pasture fields with stock fencing; hated it, took most of it down and replaced with post and rail, never had so many accidents and 6x2 rails don't come off that easily, so I've pretty much replaced all of my fields with vinyl fencing and never had a fence accident since. I'd never use electric fencing, I've heard of more fatalities from it than any other fencing tbh.

cptrayes

Visit site
I agree. I initially fenced all of my pasture fields with stock fencing; hated it, took most of it down and replaced with post and rail, never had so many accidents and 6x2 rails don't come off that easily, so I've pretty much replaced all of my fields with vinyl fencing and never had a fence accident since. I'd never use electric fencing, I've heard of more fatalities from it than any other fencing tbh.

How does a horse die from properly installed electric fencing? I've never heard of a single one. I've used electric fencing for 22 years without a single accident. Tell me more ....

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Gosh that poor horse - what a stroke of luck you came by. However, this leads me to ask you are for recommendations as I now am worried about a plan I have.

We need to fence a 25 acre boundary in January. I had planned post and rails, backed by sheep netting. The reason for this, is that I need the land to also be completely dog proof (keeping dog in) as well as for the horses. How about a smaller gauge sheep net (smaller than hoof size)? Any recommendations ?

Equinus

Visit site
A friend of mine lost her ancient old horse when she slipped and got caught up in stock fencing. Poor horse struggled so hard she prolapsed with fatal consequences. Very traumatic for the whole yard, but especially my friend who had had the horse for over thirty years but wasn't there when she needed her the most.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Interesting about the post and rail, I always assumed it was safer as my horse has an affinity to destroy all things fence like, so the post and rail has been safer for him as it at least breaks during his escape/ dismantle the fencing attempts. Luckily he's got more grazing than a horse could dream of at the moment so he's happy for now. The good news is that there is now a strip of electric fencing keeping the horse away from the sheep wire :)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
A friend of mine lost her ancient old horse when she slipped and got caught up in stock fencing. Poor horse struggled so hard she prolapsed with fatal consequences. Very traumatic for the whole yard, but especially my friend who had had the horse for over thirty years but wasn't there when she needed her the most.

That's so tragic, poor horse. I think so many people are unaware of the potential danger their horses are in with this fencing as I see it so often, it may have 'not happened yet' but terrible consequences such as the horse your friend owned suffered, just show what could possibly happen.

Spring Feather

Visit site
How does a horse die from properly installed electric fencing? I've never heard of a single one. I've used electric fencing for 22 years without a single accident. Tell me more ....

Apparently quite easily. Foals getting all tangled up in electric rope which doesn't break. Legs sliced on it. Rolling close to fence and getting tangled. I know personally quite a few people who have lost foals to it and have heard of even more grown horses who have severed veins and flayed the skin off their legs. Most people here who use electric use the rope installed onto permanent posts. Poly posts aren't much use here due to the weather but I suspect in many cases had the electric been attached to poly posts the horses wouldn't have come off as badly as they did. I have vinyl fencing which has carbon running through it so I could electrify every field if I ever so desired but I don't as no need.