And to think i dared to post in NL!

black_horse

Visit site
Hmm...i am seriously starting to go off this forum :S

Anyway, i am chuffed to bits! I jumped my horse 2ft 6 today! The first time in years i have jumped :D Not just one jump either, oh now, a whole course of 8 jumps! No spooking, no shying etc. Brilliant!

So dear CR i need a favour...i want to use jumping to improve delicias sit in canter, she is more amiable to me playing with her canter when jumps are near by ( she doesnt even have to be jumping them). I havent jumped in a while so i need some good exercises. techincally i am not allowed to jump so teh jumps must not exceed 2ft 6 really...

I hope you are mroe friendly in here.....seems i get under peoples skins in NL and not in the right way!

Mbronze

www.cheshirehorsetaxi.weebly.com
Firstly, congratulations on jumping 2'6 after a year off :). Secondly, I think some people in NL can be more than fickle :0

Have you thought about doing some grid work, I often find my canter improves if i focus on doing a bounce followed by a stride and then a bounce. Or doing jumps across the diagonal, it requires you to really keep a good bouncy canter around the corner before the fence as you can loose the strength of the canter so easily when you are turning on a corner. All the fences can be done as cross poles so can be kept at 2'6 and also helps keep you central into the jump.

Hope that helps:)

be positive

Visit site
You dont really need to be jumping as such to help the canter, canter poles and bounce fences should help engage her brain as well as get her sitting more. You could set a line so you can use it on both reins, 2 or 3 poles a X pole then another 2or 3 poles you can then raise them as you wish and vary how you use them.
Another way is to put 4 poles on a 15-20m circle and use the poles to spiral in and out, you can vary the size of the circle depending on what you are hoping to achieve or put them as small fences.

black_horse

Visit site
Im a little concerned about the concussion on my leg that grid work might cause. I have tried canter poles, she jumps them. She is a special pony

TableDancer

Visit site
There is a great exercise (building on BEPositive's pole exercise above) with 4 X poles on a 20M circle: really really tough to do it well - even stride length, same number of strides between each fence - and jumps can be teeny :)

I do agree, though, that the best exercise to make them sit in the canter is 4-5 canter poles in a corner, making 1/4 of a circle.

black_horse

Visit site
@Tabledancer sounds hard lol cant it ever be easy to achieve our goals? How should i introduce this? maybe one jump at a time? Im worried she will either rush them or loose confidence.

@nailed - she is good! we now hack and jump :D

black_horse

Visit site
Changing yards seems to have done wonders for you guys! Congrats!!!

However, where are the pictures? ;)

Thank you :D it was the change i needed :)

No one there to take pics, but i have this beauty

404193_10150455660590978_670970977_8532957_18232598_n.jpg

special pony

dafthoss

Visit site
AHEM!! *stamps feet* wheres the pictures?!?!
What happened in NL? You seem to have a rather good game of musical forums going on :p
Sorry no really useful suggestions I need to work on the same thing I just wanted to protest at the lack of pictures :D

TableDancer

Visit site
@Tabledancer sounds hard lol cant it ever be easy to achieve our goals? How should i introduce this? maybe one jump at a time? Im worried she will either rush them or loose confidence.

@nailed - she is good! we now hack and jump :D

Start with them as poles on the ground. Once you can do that, make 2 of them (opposite each other) small x poles, then make the other 2 xs too - simples :) It is actually a very tough exercise so keep it short - start with the xs very small because obviously if there is any falling in or out you don't want to penalise her too much. We have used it with Advanced horses with very high Xs and it is a real test of athleticism and accuracy :)

black_horse

Visit site
@dafthoss - i seem to have a fan club ;)

@table dancer - thank you so much for your reply. I wish i could 'like' your comment. I am copying and pasteing these into an email to mysefl so i can access this advise when i am down the yard :D