Andalucian x Cob

Spangie

Visit site
Now this is just a curiousity thread. Not really thinking about doing it. But my friend was joking the other day, that she'd give me 'mates rates' on using her traditional cob stallion on my andalucian mare. Just wondered if anyone had this type of cross and what they looked like?? thanks

s4sugar

Visit site
If your mare is good why would you waste her on a mongrel stallion?

If your mare isn't good why would you breed.

I have seen this cross but the other way with cob mares. The same mares' foals by TB's were much better sorts.

Spangie

Visit site
I think my mare is good. To the extent I don't want her to have a foal...... as i want to enjoy riding her.

It wasn't massively my question that you've answered, but thanks for your input. I was just curious to see what the cross looked like!

debsg

Visit site
As the owner of a cob and a lover of Andalusians, I too would be interested in seeing the result of a cross. Purely aesthetic, I wouldn't breed from my mare.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I doubt you'll find any pics of this sort of cross as I cant imagine many people have done it! Googling it, I've only found one;

http://www.adhorse.co.uk/horseforsale_46215.html

I believe its quite frowned upon to mix Iberians with anything else - especially something like a cob (I have a Luso x TB which makes a super sport horse). I remember I bought an Eriskay x Cob years ago who I got cheap because again, most people feel Eriskays should be pure and not mixed with anything else.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm sure there's been a few for sale this winter - I'm sure I've seen some online...

I'm not sure what a good cob x good andy would make, really, but there's a poster on here with a lovely highlandxandy (and a lovely yearling for sale of similar breeding who haunts me) and there are plenty of PRE-mixes around if you look hard enough. I'd think a good cob would be a better sire than a mediocre TB though, even if it is a mongrel :rolleyes:

rhino

Visit site
I really wanted pics!

but ok, i'll take the bait, why is a cob stallion a 'mongrel'........?

A traditional cob is a type, not a breed. More often than not they don't have traceable parentage (certainly beyond a generation or two).

The 'problem' with such mixed/cross breeds is you never quite know what you are going to get when you breed. If your cob has clydie or shire somewhere in his pedigree you could end up with a very 'heavy' horse type, or if it has pony somewhere in its pedigree you could end up with a very ponyish offspring.. Breeding from 'pure' breeds gives you far more of an idea of what you will get.

First crosses are also more difficult to 'guess' so even crossing with a 'pure' breed the resulting offspring could take after one parent more than the other, or even take the worst (or best) bits from both parents. It is only on subsequent breedings you will start to develop more of a 'type'

There was a gorgeous andalusian x cob on here a month or two ago, not the type I usually go for but he was stunning! Will see if I can find him :)

Spangie

Visit site
thanks! that's helpful.:D As I say, not really thinking of breeding as I want her as a ridden horse. She's fully papered though so can trace lineage for ages!

starsky

Visit site
I'm not sure what a good cob x good andy would make, really, but there's a poster on here with a lovely highlandxandy

Do you mean me? :)
Is this an excuse for me to post pictures of Taz again? OK I don't need too much of an excuse. My mare is out of a highland by an Andalucian. She is rising 6, these were all taken last season, her first competitive year and she was brilliant. And JFTD you NEED to buy her nephew! x

tazcrosscountry.jpg

me2.jpg

tazjumping.jpg

tazstanding.jpg

tazflat.jpg

rhino

Visit site
Is this an excuse for me to post pictures of Taz again? OK I don't need too much of an excuse. My mare is out of a highland by an Andalucian. She is rising 6, these were all taken last season, her first competitive year and she was brilliant. And JFTD you NEED to buy her nephew! x

Yes JFTD, you do

852a.jpg

JFTDWS

Visit site

I did indeed mean you! I love seeing photos of Taz :eek:

I have accepted the fact that I am skint :( I need to win the lottery (or find a permanent job) then I can stop feeling guilty everytime I think about him :(

Thanks for the guilt trip, Rhino :mad:

Alibear

Visit site
There's a few about. however when you end up with something with the power and build of a cob alongside the smarts and sensitivity of an andalusian. Well they can take a bit of riding!

But as ever not to say they'd all be like that.

Goldenstar

Visit site
The thing is with a cross like that no one knows how the stallion was bred it is a complete shot in the dark.They could produce anything .
The cheapest part of having a foal and raising it is the stud fee so when and if you want a foal from your mare chose the best stallion for her and pay the stud fee if you cant afford to do this you cant afford to raise a foal.

Spangie

Visit site
thank you so much for posting pics of your mare! She's a stunner.....

to other posts re: breeding. I'm not looking to have a foal. i was just wondering what such a cross might look like, so no lectures on whether or not i can/should afford to have one please! thanks :)

team barney

Visit site
Saw one for sale many years ago, a blue and white mare, she was a very nice sort. Extremely well put together and she had magnificent presence. She was a feathery gypsy cob x P.R.E, she had a reasonable amount feathers and had inherited the tobiano coat, build wise she was like a heavier P.R.E and she had a very Spanish head. All in all she was gorgeous, she'd inherited the best of both breeds in my opinion, unlike some crosses which always seem to inherit the worst of everthing!

team barney

Visit site
thanks team Barney! Wonder how those little foals turn out! they are both cute.....!

I don't know how they will turn out but the mare I was talking about was genuinely gorgeous, I would have loved to own her but I wasn't in a position to buy another horse at that time, I wish I could show you pics but I don't have the magazine anymore (it was about 5 years ago!)

noblesteed

Visit site
Mine (in my profile pic) is andy x connie. I think he's awesome! He is a real character, can be a bargy arrogant pig with certain people, and lovely with others so is very much a Marmite horse. He has inherited the wavy Spanish hair gene, so in winter on his legs he grows very slight feathering... with ringlets!!!! Very cute! Sadly they are only tufty and fall out when he moults.

Would be fab to have a cob with ringlets in it's feathers!!!

pedilia

Visit site
Resurrected this thread as did a search for Andy x cob and found this. I've just bought a 2 year old of this mix, she is a nicely marked, palamino. Very calm, easy going temperament.
Very interested to see her progress and looking forward to starting her in a couple of years.