Andalusian / PRE owners, please tell me all about yours ...

Archiesmummy

Visit site
As an excited expectant owner of an Andalusian gelding I would love to know who has one, two or more on here and all about you both. Pictures would be great too.

My story, quickly, after searching for a horse and being unsuccessful in my search, both encountering the good and the bad, I thought about a dream horse. Andalusians have always been a fairytale horse for me and I have heard many stories of them being loving and loyal and, of course, very beautiful.

I looked for a short while for UK based horses but found them to be quite high in price and also, not being familiar with them, joined another forum to get some inside knowledge and associates. There I was recommended an agent who I got in contact with and who I can highly recommend. I told her my wants and wishes and of course budget and said I had my eye on a beauty on her website but he was out of my league, however, she said she would do all she could to get him for me. And she did.

I have seen videos and videos of him, pictures galore, his trainer, his home and also he has had several UK visitors who have checked him on my behalf when visiting his yard. I haven't seen him in the flesh but thought blow it, I will take a chance. So I have.

He is a 15.3hh dappled grey Andalusian with long flowing mane and tail. Owned by a dutch lady in Spain from a foal and produced by her slowly. Has hacked and been schooled very well. He passed his vetting, which I watched via video, with flying colours and am happy.

He is everyone's favourite who looks after him and will be with me next week.

Pictures to follow. Please let me know about you and yours and please, pictures too x

Herts05

Visit site
You must have a lot of trust in the person from whom you bought your horse. Personally I wouldn't buy a horse that i had not met, but I am respectful of the fact that it is each to their own

I've had my boy for nearly 5 years. The first 2 were awful, he was hot, sharp and really challenged me. I really relied on my then trainer who knows Iberians inside out.
However after all this time he is just the most amazing horse imaginable. They will challenge you and they do need a firm hand. Most appear brave but they still need to know where the boundaries are.

Key points to remember is that these guys need a LOT of work, and mental stimulation. They also need a lot less food than you think - they are VERY prone to being overweight. Remember that when they come from Spain they have no turnout in the main, my boy had to be taught how to be in a field and graze.

Good luck and sincere apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs

chazza44

Visit site
Sounds like our horses may be from the same place!

Here is my boy having a little snooze before the dentist:
photo_zps719587be.jpg

Enjoying the sunshine:
145_zps81f40fc4.jpg

I expect you have discovered the BAPSH website and facebook group - a fab group of people who are very helpful.

These horses are sharp and hot at times but generally have lovely laid back personalities. My boy is really easy to do but it very intelligent so boundaries are important. He is usually a lovely ride but when his saddle wasn't quite right for him he certainly let me know about it! It's worth getting a decent saddle fitter out as from experience/research they are tricky to fit.

Congrats on your new boy - I hope you have a lovely time!

Last edited:

jenz87

Visit site
Wow lucky you, I hope it goes well for you.
I am thinking of crossing my Connie mare to a Spanish so will follow this with interest, good luck

Wheels

Visit site
Hi have a part bred (sire is PRE, dam is of PRE type)

I bought him as a weanling and he is now almost 4, I am currently backing and riding away and I have to say he has been a total angel about it all. He is very kind, loves fuss, loves his horsey companions, is fairly quiet in nature but also sensitive. I have to be careful to try and get things right with him as he forgets nothing and also can have a bit of a tantrum if he's confused but all in all he is a lovely horse with a great nature and lovely movement who I hope is going to do well in the dressage arena and a little low level eventing.

If it was me I would have wanted to meet the horse before I bought him but to each their own, I hope he is everything you dreamed of.

Have you had experience of the breed before? Ever ridden one?

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
I have two PRE mares, both of which were bred in Spain and then imported to the UK years before I bought then, so they were already settled into the English way of life. I would say prepare yourself for a period of transition whilst he adjusts to his new life, and do watch the feeding as that can cause tremendous problems with behaviour.

I absolutely adore the breed, although my two are very different. I wouldn't describe either as hot or sharp, but they are sensitive and are incredibly responsive to seat aids when ridden - so he will teach you a good deal about your riding. They are very intelligent and have a fabulous work ethic - they are also stunningly beautiful, so prepare yourself for being admired wherever you go!

I am sure that others, more experienced than me, will be along to give more advice, but I wish you all the best with your new boy. Exciting times! And remember that once you've been owned by a PRE, any other breed is just a horse! LOL

Bennions Field

Visit site
Firstly welcome to the PRE world :D

I have two, both mares (well ones a filly still as only two :) ). I brought the first as a 6 month old weanling from Spain, I did go and see her, and the dam, but didn't get to see the stallion. I had to wait till she was registered and microchipped which meant she came over a few weeks later, she travelled wonderfully, didn't even look stressed and walked down the ramp of the Huge lorry sooooooo calmly then just tucked into her hay like a pro, she never had any issues with life in the uk, despite arriving over the christmas holiday :) teba is now 7 this month ! She's had a beautifull foal since as due to a field injury can't be ridden :(. But she was a fab mum and I'm hopefull she will be again at some point, the filly is really lovely, she did well at the breed show last year as a yearling but sadly will have to be sold this summer as I just can't afford to keep her any longer and wouldn't be able to sell the mare.

Feed wise I feed a forage based diet, ie grass nuts/sugar beet and ablib hay, all unmollased so have no issues with being too fat, they are both good doers though and need far less than my others (wb/tb crosses). They both have the most amazingly hard feet too, my farier says neither would ever need shoes if ridden.

Can't add photos now as on iPod but will try adding tomorrow from laptop - hope to see yours too as soon as he arrives - you won't regret it - they are pretty special :D

NaeNae87

Visit site
Mine is a part bred, he is very opinionated and it took a while to bond with him. Once I had gained his trust and built a relationship with him, I have found him to be brave, bold and honest. He has a very distinct personality and will always test me but I would Definately own another one :) good luck with your boy!!

puss

Visit site
I have eleven of them now most are 4 year old just starting rebacking them. They will all be sold this year. One i have kept in my mind to quirky with dangerous acts of trying to hurt people will stay with me for the rest of his life. He has been with me about two years now showed huge improvement but could never trust him with someone else. Yes they are very sharp quick to learn bad and good imo not very forgiving if you make a mistake but will walk though fire if you get them on your side all mine have come though a hard life none of them had a good upbringing so nicely brought up horses might be better horses. they are so rewarding if you get it right but imo hard work and they really dont grow up until seven or eight again imo.

Spangie

Visit site
Mine came through a contact in Spain. She was going for meat. If never met her or seen videos! Picked her up from southern France and never looked back. She was 9 and we believe I backed but 15 months down the line and she's amazing!! Does anything I ask of her and is never spooky. She can occasionally be a bit fizzy, but never naughty with it, just does a funny trot on the spot. She's also happily jumping 80cm and would do more. She loves it!! Only problem I've had at all is I think she has an allergy to some sort of pollen as at certain times of year gets spots on her skin. I'd have another one anyday!!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
As you know, I have a filly!

I won't repeat myself from your other post archiesmummy, bit boring! :)

I just wanted to second the feed thing! They are such good doers. I seem to remember threads on the Facebook page about feeds and it would be wise to follow those.

When I first got my yearling, she was on a hifi diet but with added suregrow which I fed at half the recommended rate as she would be quite lively with it. Now 2, she only has a hifi diet with linseed. Her feet are like alabaster and some people think she's shod they make such a clatter! That is also one of the plus points of an Iberian... Feet are rock hard! :D

I don't think mine is particularly sharp... She is known as "Kevin" on our yard as she's such a dopey teenager most of the time but she doesn't do everything I ask without questioning some things. It's quite funny! I had one on loan and he was pretty sharp though! There are variances between the different bloodlines.

Anyway.... Enjoy!!!! :D

BBP

Visit site
Hot, feisty, firey. Loves people and animals, super happy all the time. The whole world is a game to him which makes him really easy to train as long as things are varied and fun. It does also mean he learns the bad things as easily as the good. Jumps 80-90cm without a care in the world although we are still learning together and I am not the worlds best pilot! he does have a quarter welsh B blood, so I am not sure how many of characteristics are from that, he has the fire from both i think! As he is growing up (nearly 8 now) he relaxes more quickly. I would say he is cocky rather than bold or brave, he will stride along like he owns the world past buses and all sorts until a scary rock looks at him and then he will quiver and shake until someone rescues him. he is prone to panic attacks which made the first 2 years with him a challenge, but these are few and far between now.

my best mate, you can have full conversations with him as he will wander along next to you in the field whickering away quietly at you constantly (so when I say full conversations, sometimes it is hard for me to get a word in edgeways!)
2009-01-1813-23-22_IMG_0052_resize.jpg

rear2.jpg

2009-07-1109-28-04_IMG_0458_resize-1_zpscae68f26.jpg

2009-07-1109-30-26_IMG_0572_zps6b9ac92e.jpg

2009-07-0610-11-19_IMG_0055.jpg

2012-09-1616-36-03-IMG_0733_zps669a6819.jpg

2012-09-1614-55-00-IMG_0639_zps0928ed29.jpg

Oops, got carried away!
biggest challenge of my life, but i wouldn't swap him for the world.

StormyMoments

Visit site
I have an 8 year old PRE stallion. shipped from Spain in September and I wouldn't swap him for the world. He's very smart, learns very quickly and always wants to please. He's a bit of a worrier and if his handler is nervous he worries about it. He can be very sharp, excitable and explosive but he can also be the biggest chill pill ever. He's a one person kind of horse and as his main handler and only rider he will follow me to the ends of the earth and back. He is incredibly loving and likes attention. he can be nervy due to previous treatment which makes him very jumpy especially in the stable. he's an excitable ride - if you ride very quiet he is quiet but it doesn't take much to get him het up and he has a tendency to rush if he is allowed to (he was a parade horse)

he has been the biggest and most rewarding challenge he really is a joy to own and I wouldn't swap him for the world!

097.png

013.jpg

024_zpsedb0150f.jpg

ralph and maverick

Visit site
8FA4B35B-0ED2-4F44-A79E-0D8EA57DAF58-32278-00003C8BE4C879C5_zpsdb3a3ee4.jpg

This is Ralph, I have had him nearly a year now, my parents bought him for me as a confidence giver, and he is just that!!
Before I went to try him I hadn't even sat on a horse for over 5years!
He is braver than me!, safe, sane, calm, quiet and a true gentleman!
He is my horse of a lifetime, and I will be eternally grateful to my mum and dad for getting me such a wonderful horse!
It's lovely to be out riding and not feeling nervous anymore.
He was a stallion and had been used a couple of times, the lady who sold him to me only had him gelded about 8months prior to purchase, he is turned out with mares and geldings and is not bossy at all.
He also has good feet, and is a very good doer, and also has sweetitch (unfortunately).
I love my horse (can you tell!!)
:) :) :) :)

Fransurrey

Visit site
I don't have one personally but there's one on my yard and she's a real sweetheart. Never seen her for a thing wrong. Never been shod and has amazing feet. I'd love to have a ride on her. Was offered her as a share, but I don't have the money or time.

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
OP I think I know who you are :D:D
If you are who I think you are, then you already know my two boys.....

Meet my stallion Jascal

image_zps60e4fc2d.jpg

image_zpsf858fcc1.jpg

and my gelding Hermoso

002.jpg

351.jpg

LOVE them, such an amazing breed, would never have another breed again!

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Beautiful! Can't wait to go to breed show this year, fingers crossed, and get my fill of the Spanish beauties!

Archiesmummy

Visit site
OP I think I know who you are :D:D
If you are who I think you are, then you already know my two boys.....

Meet my stallion Jascal

image_zps60e4fc2d.jpg

image_zpsf858fcc1.jpg

and my gelding Hermoso

002.jpg

351.jpg

LOVE them, such an amazing breed, would never have another breed again!

Yes, I am who you think I am x You know you are my new best friend don't you, cos without you ... :)

Almaalba

New User
Visit site
Hi have a part bred (sire is PRE, dam is of PRE type)

I bought him as a weanling and he is now almost 4, I am currently backing and riding away and I have to say he has been a total angel about it all. He is very kind, loves fuss, loves his horsey companions, is fairly quiet in nature but also sensitive. I have to be careful to try and get things right with him as he forgets nothing and also can have a bit of a tantrum if he's confused but all in all he is a lovely horse with a great nature and lovely movement who I hope is going to do well in the dressage arena and a little low level eventing.

If it was me I would have wanted to meet the horse before I bought him but to each their own, I hope he is everything you dreamed of.

Have you had experience of the breed before? Ever ridden one?
I can relate to what you are saying in terms of them having a tantrum if they’re confused. M 5 year old Cartujano mare can be the calmest of horses, but if we’re in a situation where I get tense or I am mucking up my aids or my request of her, she can get very sharp.

Almaalba

New User
Visit site
Very beautiful! Cartujano horse are known to be very hot and very sharp! One of mine is Cartujano x Militar and is also very sharp!

One of the others is Bohorquez, Marin Garcia and Escalera and is practically horizontal ?.
Haha!
i hope my hot head will calm down once she’s got more miles on her, I’ve only had her for a couple of months. I bought her without having seen her in person, but have not regretted it. She is lovely and true to all the things ppl have said on here: quick learner - for better or worse - smart, cuddly and very comfortable to ride. I sure hope she’ll chill out eventually!

Attachments

• 986A20E7-3885-4492-AA22-8855377F36B0.jpeg
    986A20E7-3885-4492-AA22-8855377F36B0.jpeg
    943.1 KB · Views: 9

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
Haha!
i hope my hot head will calm down once she’s got more miles on her, I’ve only had her for a couple of months. I bought her without having seen her in person, but have not regretted it. She is lovely and true to all the things ppl have said on here: quick learner - for better or worse - smart, cuddly and very comfortable to ride. I sure hope she’ll chill out eventually!
I'm sure you will have a great time with her! Although I'm still waiting for mine to chill out at 14 ?.

You should check out the facebook group GBPRE, it is a really nice community and you can find out all the info on shows and things (if that is what you want to do).

Inda

Visit site
My 5 year old mare has been described as smart with a sense of humour.

She loves attention and thinks the pony club is the best thing ever. She’s eternally in a fatties paddock or in a muzzle. She gets fat thinking about grass.

I love her to bits and wouldn’t be without her, however she’s one of those horses who overthinks things given half a chance, her answer to scary things is to plant or to Spanish walk.

Attachments

• 31E4545D-3840-4D15-8054-AE88A371BEF4.jpeg
    31E4545D-3840-4D15-8054-AE88A371BEF4.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 8

pistolpete

Visit site
I don’t have one but would love one! Have friends with them that wouldn’t have anything else. Echo good doers sensitive friendly and extremely comfy to ride. Best of luck. Enjoy!

Almaalba

New User
Visit site
I'm sure you will have a great time with her! Although I'm still waiting for mine to chill out at 14 ?.

You should check out the facebook group GBPRE, it is a really nice community and you can find out all the info on shows and things (if that is what you want to do).
Thank you!

NLPM

Visit site
Lot of beautiful horses on this thread!

Agree with the Cartujano comments... Mine hacks on the buckle like a seaside donkey, but also has a very sharp streak & flares up quickly when she's excited or if she disapproves of what I'm doing. There's not much middle ground! She's brilliant both to ride and to just be around. Almaalba I'm sure yours will make you very happy too!

Also OP, I hope your horse turned out to be everything you dreamed of :)