Andalusians - anyone own one and do they have any problems, eg lameness?

Izzwizz

Visit site
As title really, just wondering if anyone owns one of these. Have you had any issued regarding lameness (someone told me to beware for this reason). How are they to keep?

Any info appreciated, thanks.

TheMule

Visit site
No more so than any other horse!!
Feet tend to be upright and boxy and dont take well to being shod by a farrier who tries to make them more normal but that's the only issue I've seen a few times

puss

Visit site
I have eleven of them all are really sound and tough but not the best feet in the world they are quite flat footed all mine are barefoot and ride on anything

Odd Socks

Visit site
I've got one and he's had no end of problems, mainly due to him being incredibly accident prone but his suspensories are on the way our too resulting from an injury exacerbated by their upright action :(

StormyMoments

Visit site
not had any issues with mine other than a ever so slight unlevelness to his trot after he had shoes put back on but if I didn't know him I wouldn't have noticed and no one but my self and my mum could see it but had the farrier out he took the shoe off and re shaped it and he was sound again. I haven't had any issues with him shod or unshod and he has very upright feet :)

Izzwizz

Visit site
Odd socks sorry to hear about your horse's problems, thats a shame.

Many thanks to those who have replied so far, it does help.

Spanish Eyes

Visit site
I have two and think they are absolutely fabulous horses. Both of mine have excellent feet - barefoot and rock-crunchingly hard. BUT they are kept on quite poor grazing - I've known people have problems when they are kept on lush grass.

Temperaments of mine are second to none - intelligent, noble, and very genuine. Both are sensitive, but neither are sharp or hot.

Love 'em!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I don't think they are any more prone to lameness than any other horse, none of mine have ever been lame (have had PRE's and Lusitanos on and off for 25 years; have 3 presently). They can be prone to sweet itch, especially imported ones, and they can be very sensitive and reactive to ride. I'd not recommend one as a novice's horse, but once you are up to it, they are fabulous, highly trainable, wonderful horses. Wouldn't have anything else now, but I am past being highly competitive and prefer to enjoy sitting on the "throne of kings" - a Spanish horse's back.

Spangie

Visit site
I have one by chance, a rescue. She is amazing. Will turn her hoof to anything!! She is barefoot and I have no issues. A lot of people have said this is best thing to do with small feet. Fastest learner ever and likes to know she's doing right thing. Also VERY comfy!

MandyinIndia

Visit site
Hi

I have one imported and one part bred (bred in the UK) and agree with Cortez - I have not had any issues with lameness or feet (my full Andalusian has the toughest feet and are a good shape and size) but they are both sensitive and my imported boy can be very itchy - controlled with a sweet itch rug.

I love the breed - suits me down to the groung, but can imagine they would not be everyones cup of tea

Herts05

Visit site
OK. At the risk of jinxing things. I've had my imported PRE gelding for 5 years now. He has never been lame and has great feet. They grow so quickly that he needs the farrier every 4 weeks.
He's a real hottie but is the most amazing horse ever and so brave :).

Izzwizz

Visit site
REgarding feet, are all/most of yours without shoes? I'm getting that impression. Do they cope with roadwork ok? Roads are the route to all rides round us so theres no avoiding the issue....All seems to be good news so far. Do you feed hay or haylage if they are good doers? What feed do you give if any over Winter?

We are not novice owners so this breed sounds ideal..

noblesteed

Visit site
I have had an andy x luso x connie for 5 years. I tried him barefoot but he didn't do too well with road work, lasted 2 years then had to have him reshod last summer after a mild lami attack, followed by a bruised sole and broken-up hooves. Farrier blamed the weather - he's been fine since on poorer grazing. He has decent feet generally though. They are very good doers, mine lives out in the summer in a muzzle. Never had any lameness further up leg.
Hay suits him better than haylage, which doesn't agree with him. He doesn't need much to eat, I give him mollichaff calmer, fast fibre and rosehips for his feet. He's picky though and won't eat alfalfa.
He's not a novice ride, he comes across as Mr Chilled and then he'll chuck you off. He won't do anything he doesn't want to do and you can't force him. He's my sharer's first horse after a pony, and he's proving difficult for her. For me he's a star - he respects my authority so is great, and bombproof. Only took 3 years to get him there though!

Izzwizz

Visit site
I have had an andy x luso x connie for 5 years. I tried him barefoot but he didn't do too well with road work, lasted 2 years then had to have him reshod last summer after a mild lami attack, followed by a bruised sole and broken-up hooves. Farrier blamed the weather - he's been fine since on poorer grazing. He has decent feet generally though. They are very good doers, mine lives out in the summer in a muzzle. Never had any lameness further up leg.
Hay suits him better than haylage, which doesn't agree with him. He doesn't need much to eat, I give him mollichaff calmer, fast fibre and rosehips for his feet. He's picky though and won't eat alfalfa.
He's not a novice ride, he comes across as Mr Chilled and then he'll chuck you off. He won't do anything he doesn't want to do and you can't force him. He's my sharer's first horse after a pony, and he's proving difficult for her. For me he's a star - he respects my authority so is great, and bombproof. Only took 3 years to get him there though!

Sounds like they are cheap to keep in terms of feed! You obviously have a lot of patience taking 3yrs, the feeling of achievement must be great.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
REgarding feet, are all/most of yours without shoes? I'm getting that impression. Do they cope with roadwork ok? Roads are the route to all rides round us so theres no avoiding the issue....All seems to be good news so far. Do you feed hay or haylage if they are good doers? What feed do you give if any over Winter?

We are not novice owners so this breed sounds ideal..

Contrary to popular belief - tarmac is actually fantastic for unshod/BF hooves. You do need to build up slowly though as the hooves will start to grow faster as you do more roadwork, so start with short routes.

chazza44

Visit site
Generally they have rock solid hooves, tend to be boxy and barefoot is definitely an option for some. They are prone to sacroiliac problems and seem to have a tendency to over bend. Can be very sensitive to ride and boy do they let you know if not happy but on the flip side incredibly smart and loving. Have never met a PRE I wouldn't want to be around.
Try to find a farrier experienced with them as they often try to over correct the boxy feet thing which causes problems

Bennions Field

Visit site
Well I have two a 7 year old mare and her 2 year old, both really fab mares, good doers and have fab feet , both barefoot, would never consider putting shoes on either of them (2year old when older obviously ) the are completely mad looking in the field charging around but the minute you go near them the are very quiet and happily follow like a pair of dogs, love fuss and will do anything for a good groom :) sadly can't ride the 7 year old due to a field injury but can't wait to start on the two year old when she's mature. The do take longer to finish growing, 7 year old just about finished filling out this year I think, would love to have ridden her as she was my dream horse and brought her over as a 7 month old weanling - highly recommend the breed but like all horses they can all be different

Iberian girl

Visit site
My PRE is prone to cracked heels but he was imported just before our wetest year since who knows when! Agree with everything said about need a good farrier to shape their feet right but my boy's grow really slowly (unlike what others have said). They are great horses and mine at least is as sure footed as a mountain goat. Our first ever long hack we took a wrong route and he had to pick his way down a really steep, rocky path with branches whipping at us and me hugging his neck much of the way to avoid being swept off backwards. I gave him a loose rein and he just got on with it and swear he actually really enjoyed it (more than me with my bramble cuts certainly!)

puss

Visit site
I good bit of advice buy from a really good source I have a ranch bred and hes to the point of dangerous really bad past hes sharp hot and never know what mood hes in and don't feed these horses any type of sugar it dosent agree with them. They live on fresh air. keep feed really basic.

Herts05

Visit site
Definitely cheap to feed. NO sugar otherwise you will have problems. Definitely use a farrier who is experienced with them. Mine has shoes as we hack a lot and are on flinty ground.
They need work to keep their mind busy, so plenty of variety is good. They jump too so don't just stick to flatwork.
Re. saddles, as a lot of PREs have short backs they can be difficult to fit, so you need to be aware of that
Mine loves long hacks and going anywhere different. Have done a couple of sponsored rides including the one at Burghley where he just loved the crowds and the noise.
Not sure where you are based but there's the Luso Breed Show next weekend (6 & 7 July) at Reaseheath College in Cheshire. There will be lots of PRE's there too. There's a BAPSH show in Hartpury but I can't remember the date.

j1ffy

Visit site
I have 4 (though one is only a month old ;)) and know many others. I've not heard of any lameness issues that would be any worse than other breeds - in fact I'd say they're pretty tough (never heard of one with a sacro-iliac issue so I'd be interested to know more about that).

As other have said, they don't react well to sugar and are a lami risk, best to treat them like a pony with restricted grazing etc! One of mine is also barefoot (he had mild navicular syndrome) and his feet are incredibly tough now.

MaggiePRE

New User
Visit site
I have 9. The main problem that you may encounter is sweet itch. Benzyl benzoate helps but covering them up is the better option. Their feet are rock hard and none of mine wear shoes. Mine are fed sugar beet and it does not appear to cause any undue problems.
They come from different bloodlines and so some are very baroque and others sports horse like. As such, their dietary requirements differ enormously.
They tend to be fairly tough and will tolerate heat and cold very well.
Be careful though, an Andalucian tends to be unpapered and PRE the registered breed. Make sure you get what you are looking for!
Their action can look spectacular but be warned an over bent neck equals no contact! Similarly, they tend to work from the shoulders and not from behind, when choosing one, check that the paces are correct.
Most importantly spend the time to ensure that it is the right horse for you and that you feel that the horse can become your friend as well. I trust all of my PRE's including the stallions, with gentle but firm handling they are like overgrown Labradors!

NaeNae87

Visit site
I have a Andy x TB x Riding Pony.

Temperment wise, he seems to have picked up more of the Andalusian.
He is brave, bold, kind and honest and if he is not happy about something, boy do you know about it. The temper tantrums he has thrown in the past were epic. Thankfully with ground work and consistancy he has improved 100%.
He is great with children, absolutely loves them. He is so gentle and patient with them that people don't realise it is the same horse they have just seen under saddle.

He is quite hot and sensitive to ride. He is an easy keeper, sugar does not worry him. He gets fed meadow hay as well as oaten hay with no problems. He was on lucerne in the past too before I changed his feed. He loves molasses, licorice, apples, carrots etc. He is unshod and his feet are like granite. I have had no skin problems with him at all.

He does have some mild Sacro-Illiac issues but I am an Equine Body Worker so I treat him when needed. At 15 he does not have even the slighted hint of any arthritic changes in his body.

I would not hesitate to get another Andalusian or a partbred. :)

*Maddy&Occhi*

Visit site
I have an Arab x Andalusian and her feet are absolutely fine! She does struggle on stoney ground though so I will have front shoes put on her next month.

Are you thinking of buying an Iberian then IzzWizz? :D

I absolutely adore my mare! She is incredibly talented, bold, clever and brave! A typical baby andalusian mare though and does need a firm handler. She was very testing when I first got her (she had got away with alot of bad behaviour with a previous handler) ...so she came to me thinking she was queen bee :rolleyes: ...it has been very tough and she has been incredibly difficult, almost unpleasant at times. But her "diva" moments are becoming less frequent now and she is progressing very well.