Andrew Hamilton

ann-jen

Visit site
Has anyone had a lesson with him? He's doing our area training and I didn't think I was going to be able to go but someone's dropped out and so I've managed to nab their place and just wondered what to expect.
smile.gif

bogpony

Visit site
yup i think he's great - but be prepared to have your boundaries pushed a little in terms of jump height!

he's very keen on rythmn and on walking related distances, and if its a group lesson - always count the number of strides the other horses take - cause he always asks you how many each person got!!

summertoots

Visit site
Would rather spend the time nailing my feet to the floor
wink.gif
but if you like your jumping you will like his teaching, full of great ideas to get both you and your horse thinking...have friend that use him all the time, but I would find him way to scarey
grin.gif

PhoebeandOla

Visit site
Yeah I have been to a clinic with him and really enjoyed it. Very nice man and gave me confidence to jump whatever he put up. I ended up doing the last half with no stirrups as I didnt heep my horse going after a fence, certainly taught me lol
smile.gif
But yep good lesson, sure you will enjoy it
smile.gif

jumptoit

Visit site
What bog pony said!
tongue.gif

Very good instructor we booked him for a PC rally (which I missed
frown.gif
) and everybody out of 24 kids thought he was great , I have also had a half hour lesson shared with someone else and we got loads done and lots out of it even in just the short space of time.

Only thing is - you have to do a report now!!!!
grin.gif

libbyandblue

Visit site
Yeah I get monthly lessons with him - only 15mins away! Only had one so far, but he comes up every month, and really enjoyed it! But, i accidently almost knocked him over in my lesson... lol my horse was being naughty!! lol oops!! Would recommend him though!

langside

Visit site
don't worry i did the area training last year with andrew you'll be fine did grid work nothing huge if you tell him what level your at he'll stick to that
believe me he doesnt put the fences up like suzie gibson did
shocked.gif
crazy.gif

ann-jen

Visit site
Gridwork sounds good - I'm quite brave in a grid LOL! Are you doing the area training at Stainsby this time then? I'm quite looking forward to it after Holmside and still feeling quite positive. Might go to Richmond on the 30th and have another crack at the BN

langside

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Gridwork sounds good - I'm quite brave in a grid LOL! Are you doing the area training at Stainsby this time then? I'm quite looking forward to it after Holmside and still feeling quite positive. Might go to Richmond on the 30th and have another crack at the BN

[/ QUOTE ]

im on holiday for a week from the 29th so miss it this time around
you'll be fine at richmond jen went really well last time out so no excuses not to come home without some pennies and a rossie
smile.gif

ann-jen

Visit site
Ah bless her - she's probably braver than me - at least I was v brave when I was 7. In fact I was quite brave up until my 20s and then it all started going down from there
tongue.gif
I've found the more responsibility I get in my life the less brave I am!

_April_

Visit site
I thought he was very nice!

I got him about a year ago when I rode my old horse - I had fallen off the week before and was really nervous but he didn't scare me at all. I was on an 'advanced' lesson (God knows why was my RC that did that) and he put the poles down for me and another girl when it was our turn
smile.gif

The only thing I didn't like was that he made us ride for ages in a forward seat which is completely opposite to what every other instructor tells me (and was exhasting on my old slow coach lol!)

ann-jen

Visit site
Oh my instructor likes me to sit in a very upright and defensive position and only to fold at the take off point so that might be a bit different LOL!

_April_

Visit site
hehe yes mine too - she calls it the 'command position' rather than what I call my Fetal position
grin.gif

I was knackered by the end but he was extremely nice so you'll be fine lol.

ann-jen

Visit site
I hope so - I've never done one of the training days so don't really know what to expect but I'm looking forward to it and Jenny is jumping amazing at the moment!

ann-jen

Visit site
At the moment its trying to make a decision between Richmond on the 30/31st or the area show at Todburn the week after or even doing both.
shocked.gif

I think at Richmond I'll do the Saturday as the BN is the first class so I can use the CR as a warm up. On the Sunday I think the first class is 1.30 and the BN isn't until class 4 so if I do a CR then I'll be hanging around for ages.
At Todburn there is a 90cm amateur class which I'd quite like to qualify for on one of the days so I pondering doing that as well/instead of......

casconway191

Visit site
Personally i am not a fan but alot of porple in my area rave about hime. Id give him a shot and see how your horse reacts to his methods. Unfortunately both of mine werent fans but i have seen him make a big difference to both horse and rider confidence

Joss

Visit site
I have had monthly lessons with him over the winter and got on very well. He is very good at working out the level of both you & your horse. He is not scary at all & will only make you jump what you are capable of.

Have fun & enjoy
smile.gif

moodymare1987

Visit site
Well a friend of mine has monthly lessons of him and reallly rates him, I go and watch. The improvement in horse and rider is fantastic, horse used to stop at any size of jump, or used to canter up to it then stop dead and cat leap over.

After having lessons with andrew, they are now happily popping the intermediate courses at riding club level and winning.

I think hes very good, he gets the spectators involved in what he is doing aswell.

Have fun

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Another thumbs up from me. I've had a few lessons with him and really like him. He will push you out of your comfort zone and get you jumping higher, but it feels easy and fine because he wouldn't do it if he didn't think you could.

And he's happy to change heights for different riders in a class if they're nervous etc.

PS- if he tells you to do something (e.g. a certain no. of strides, or stop in a certain place) make sure you do it, the forfeits (no stirrups etc!) are horrid!!!
wink.gif