Andrew Nicholson and loose dog at Bramham

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Yes, there are a lot of instances where people seem incapable of actually holding onto a lead. Surgical attachment? ;).

I do understand why people want to take their dogs, and enjoy all the times we go with a friends dog as I like them too. But loose dogs chasing horses is more than a nuisance I saw this one while on a course walk http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/not-acceptable-four-star-rider-chased-dog-gatcombe-586871 and it was a tricky combination we'd already seen a few people have trouble at. IMO horses should not be put in the position of losing their concentration and risking a mistake at a fence because of dogs chasing them. There is already enough risk involved in this sport.

Totally understand the frustration. The amount of effort and cost to get to such levels then have a loose dog ruin your day can not be anyones idea of a fun day out. Having the privilege to be allowed to take your dogs out to such events comes with responsibility and it shouldn't cost someone else's enjoyment when competing. It's just not fair.

DD265

Visit site
If the bell had been rung though, what would that have meant for AN?

I'm not sure I can agree with the comment in the article that a loose dog and a loose owner running around the ring weren't dangerous until the last fence. I didn't see it, but strikes me as common sense that loose animal = trouble and there's zero guarantee that it's not going to be a problem in 30 seconds. I'm thinking that the simplest solution is that the bell is rung the moment Fido makes an appearance in the ring then it's black and white, but I don't know what impact that would have on competitors.

Clodagh

Visit site
Apart from you cannot truly compensate when a horse or even worse a rider suffer a fatal or life changing fall as a result of a dog chase, I do hope that the dog's owner would have to cough up. I also hope that their insurance company would have words to say as it is pure malicious negligence.
How hard is it to hold onto a lead? Obviously extremely so it would appear.
When these owners get reunited with their dogs has anyone ever seen any remorse? Do they think it is funny? Are they glad their dog had fun? Do they not actually like horses?
I think a ban is the only answer, but those who insist it is a human right to take their dogs - what would you feel a just punishment would be for these owners? (Assuming no harm done). £500? Lifetime ban? Not allowed to take a dog again?
And does no harm done include the horse getting penalties as a result for the dog, which has cost the horse's owners a lot of money.

maisie06

Visit site
I think maybe next season trial a fine system with money going to good causes - £500 fine should be about right for a dog getting loose and chasing a horse or causing hassle with any competitors, for dog mess left uncleared a £300 fine - is it really that hard to put the poo in a bag and the bag in the bin???

If the problem still persists then a ban should be put in place, my only worry with a ban is that people won't check that dogs are welcome and will roll up and leave the poor things in the car all day......

On another rant - small screaming children should NOT in any way be tolerated around the dressage arena, not just because they may upset the horse but it's highly unpleasant to have to put up with when watching the dressage - if they scream take them away, it's selfish and unfair on others.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
If the bell had been rung though, what would that have meant for AN?

I'm not sure I can agree with the comment in the article that a loose dog and a loose owner running around the ring weren't dangerous until the last fence. I didn't see it, but strikes me as common sense that loose animal = trouble and there's zero guarantee that it's not going to be a problem in 30 seconds. I'm thinking that the simplest solution is that the bell is rung the moment Fido makes an appearance in the ring then it's black and white, but I don't know what impact that would have on competitors.

That the clock stopped, the dog caught, his round restarted. Same as if a fence blew down (as an example).