anemic horse

JessPickle

Visit site
vet has come back with blood test results and has said pickle is slightly anemic, they are going to give him a supplement but what does it mean being anemic I googled it but couldnt really work out the description

BroadfordQueen

Visit site
aha, my old pony was anemic so i know all about it
tongue.gif

its basically just when a horse (or human!) gets tired very easily. i think it is like when people are lathargic- dont worry, it is easily treated with a few injections i seem to remember...!

hope that answered your question!
crazy.gif
i dont know if im 100% correct, thats just what i remember from about 5 years ago lol!

Bossanova

Visit site
Anaemic- basically just means theres a shortage of red blood cells in the blood. Red blood cells are the oxygen carriers and hence if theres a shortage, oxygen carriage around the body will be compromised=loss of performance. Good supplements are those like red cell which contain iron to help to re-balance the red/white blood cell ratio.

selina25

Visit site
yep my placid sweet shetland was diagnosed with it the vet gave me a huge tub of green gung,,,, I gave it him in a small feed once a day for three weeks,,, and by the 2nd week my sweet calm lead rein sweety turned in a cheeky monkey (much more shetland like) also my tb looked a bt anemic eveyone was always checking his gums because he look lethargic but he did not have anemia I was so sick of them checking him I gave him a bit for a week and now he is the field leader ,,,,, stopped giving it him though as he is a bit speedy........ nothing serious as long as you ensure he is wormed well and you give the stuff you will be fine in a few weeks (It can be caused by bd worming/non worming)