angry and slightly upset (long)

katiejaye

Visit site
Gosh what nasty people! Like I have said before, it definately sounds like a classic case of the "green eyed monster"! I can fully believe that they are doing it on purpose as I have known people to do similar things in the past...it is amazing what lengths people can go to to knock your confidence.

I would say that you want to keep your horse in the best environment possible that will help build his confidence and retain yours. I am at a fantastic yard where everyone is incredibly supportive and it has made the world of difference to me (and my confidence) in comparison to my last yard (which was the complete opposite!). If there is a chance that you could move then I would. If not then you will just have to ignore them as much as possible and stay optimistic...no one has a right to knock you or your horse's confidence!
mad.gif

Visit site
poor you - they sound very devious!
mad.gif
If I were you I would not do anything until I am ready to do it myself from now on. Don't take any advice for the YO or the son as they clearly cannot be trusted. Just ignore it is the only way I can see around this problem. Obviously you can't stop her from coming in the school with you but you can just ride around her and if she suggests a hack again just explain you'd rather not as he is is not ready.

Hope things are better for you soon x

Tempi

Visit site
thanx again for all the support guys - the other thing is that Archie is currently in one of 'YO's boxes whilst we were waiting for one to free up on my yard (down the bottom) so it means shes constantly around. I have now got my own box for him two down from Blossy on our part of the yard, which im moving into on tuesday next week. So hopefully being out of the way of her a bit more will help things.

dieseldog

Visit site
I think you are over reacting - if she wanted to scare you she would have trotted off when you were having problems and left him to go completly mental.

If you don't want to go hacking say No, and don't go.

Sounds like he is getting better though.

Tia

Visit site
I wouldn't wish to speculate as to the motivation of the YO - I just want to comment on your horse if I may.

This is the one which came over from the Continent? If so, when I lived back in England I used to have German horses sent over to me for rehabilitation. All of them were ALWAYS the same in a couple of respects. None of them had been hacked out - they had ONLY ever been ridden in indoor arenas. None of them knew what grass was or how to deal with being out in fields.

I think you are doing great with this horse and if he was mine I would continue just riding him in the arena for now until he settles into the British way of doing things. Hacking out will be very scarey for him so if you are planning to hack out at some stage then I would advise walking him in-hand for a few weeks beforehand - I found this worked well with my lot.

As to what to say to your YO - just say "no thank you" tell her the above. Hope all keeps going positively as I think you have done great so far.
smile.gif

Tempi

Visit site
hes been over here for a year but led a bit of a sheltered life with the woman i brought him off - he did get turned out but only for an hour a day (he goes out happily at my yard for 8hours a day now) ad he got riden in an indoor school. he had been hacked out with her and i did ride him up her lane and he was fine altho im not sure how much i believe of what shes told me!

either way im sure it will all come right in the end
smile.gif

i am goin to walk him around in hand as he is happy to follow me anywhere which i guess is a good thing!

spaniel

Visit site
erm....I may have missed something totally fundamental about the relationship you have with this woman at your yard but it sounds to me like she has done nothing but be supportive.

You say you had an incident before and that she offered to take the horse on (presumeably thinkjing that you may feel Archie is too much for you - fair enough) and now, because she has taken an interest and offered to go on a short hack with you (where she did nothing to cuase bad behaviour from your horse) you and your Mother and your friend (who probably knows nothing about this apart from heresay) have come down with a severe case of paranoia.

Sounds to me like you are not getting on as well as you would have liked with the new horse and are looking for someone to blame. You have only had him five minutes, there are bound to be issues. If he IS too much for you then maybe this woman could turn out to be very useful.

Just my take on it.....prepared to be shot down......

Tempi

Visit site
not at all - if you met her you'd understand.

and its definately not paranoia, everyone who knows her knows what shes like. shes done it before to people - shes the biggest stirer (sp?) on our yard and goes round teling people things about other people that arent even remotly true, she really does revel in other peoples misfortune.

i am perfectly capable of handling and riding my horse, but i know shes jealous (as ive been told by numerous people on my yard).

i am getting on perfectly well, i know i shouldnt have rushed things and taken him out last night. he is schooling nicely and i am taking him for a lesson next week.

Sparklet

Visit site
I must admit when I read your opening post it did seem like a lot of fuss over nothing very much. You maybe have a history with your YO so there may be a lot more detail to this than you have provided so perhaps other things are getting wound into this.

It does take some time to get used to a new horse, particulary if they are significantly different to your previous horse. It also take some time to determine what their reactions are going to be in given situations and for a while I think you do feel a little vulnerable.

It took me some time to get to grips with mine because she was bigger, more athletic and most imporantly was BLACK. For some reason her colour was the biggest mental hurdle - she did get lighter in Summer...phew.

Just focus on your horse and use offers to hack up the road - better than going on your own.