Animal Friends Horse Insurance - yay or nay?

Scarlett

Visit site
Has anyone insured with Animal Friends and if so are they as good as they sound?

MY NFU policy is getting ridiculous so I am looking into other options and AF have been suggested. NFU have been superb through various claims - I have 4 horses with them - so I'm wary to look elsewhere but I do feel the cost has become unacceptable, especially now as they all have exclusions. I'm paying more but have less and less insured!

Thoughts & experiences much welcomed...!

:)

HaffiesRock

Visit site
I have both ponies with them, but (touches wood) haven't had to claim so not sure on that front. They are reasonably priced, do a discount for multiple horses and are friendly and helpful.

Scarlett

Visit site
They were lovely to speak to on the phone - and the quote was half what I pay now for what seems to be the same cover. I'm just wondering what the catch is.....

JoJo_

Visit site
Try Carriage House for a quote. I left NFU and went to them as much cheaper and they have always paid out for a claim very quickly with no fuss. The vet fees limit is less than NFU though. Its £3K whereas NFU are £5k.

ETA - NFUs cover is usually better than these cheaper companies. They pay hospitalisation, transportation as well as the higher vets fees so keep this in mind when comparing cover.

MileAMinute

Visit site
I was with them for a short while, until I found out they were underwritten by E&L.
Switched to Petplan who are normally notoriously expensive but actually provided a good quote for my boy.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
my friend is with them, think they paid out okay for her but they didn't cover any over night stays at the vets, which ended up costing her £1500 after her horse got impaction due to being on box rest

PorkChop

Visit site
I didn't find their cover very comprehensive and there were areas that they wouldn't cover that other companies would. I have found again and again that you get what you pay for.

HelenBack

Visit site
I echo LJR's post. I was with them for a while and they were really cheap (never claimed) but when I read the full schedule they didn't really seem to cover an awful lot either in terms of activities or illnesses and that worried me. I compared a lot of companies and ended up switching to NFU. They were neither the cheapest nor the most expensive but they definitely seemed to have the most comprehensive cover and everyone I asked who was already with them said how great they are.

Follysmum

Visit site
I had my dogs with them. Had an awful time with them when one of dogs was seriously ill and needed an operation. They were very rude on the phone and very unprofessional. Had to get my vet to write a report and threaten them with ombudsman after they refused to pay out. They paid eventually. Would never recommend.

Laroxes

Visit site
I've claimed twice with animal friends in the last 6 months for my horse, paid out within a week and no hassle for both of them. With hospitalisation they pay half of the cost

jsprince

Visit site
A friend of mine had her horse insured with them and in the small print there is an exclusion to rule out any injury caused by barb wire.
My friend found out this to her cost after her horse ran through some wire fencing in a blind panic.

apachediamond

Visit site
Most companies will not cover injuries by barb wire, because of this clause i moved my horse from livery that used barb wire only to one that didn't.

I am insured with AF and have been for a couple of years, i claimed for over 4k last october and they paid out no problem.

Scarlett

Visit site
Thank you everyone - they are over £100 cheaper a month so although I've always been very happy with NFU I really need to give it some serious consideration. I've printed off the T&C's and will read through them all carefully tonight.

All my horses now have exclusions, the £100 I save I could put away should any of those conditions/injuries reoccur which would give me a nice emergency fund.

Moomin1

Visit site
A friend of mine had her horse insured with them and in the small print there is an exclusion to rule out any injury caused by barb wire.
My friend found out this to her cost after her horse ran through some wire fencing in a blind panic.

Quite right too. No horse should be kept in a field surrounded by barbed wire, and more fool the owner for doing so. Why should an insurance company fork out for injury caused by poor management?

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
I use AF; my first horse died after ten months - EGS. Got full vets, hospitalisation and full price of horse. Over £8k in total. All done and dusted within four weeks. Got second horse. He got colic and then I got him scoped for ulcers. They paid for ulcers (didn't claim for colic). Then on my renewal they are excluding any 'stomach issues' for him. Now not sure what to do. On the one hand, feel quite loyal to them. Very good service etc but on the other that exclusion could cost me a lot now as such a broad manner of complaints could be stomach related and if I do change, does that mean I will still have the same exclusion with another insurers. So now on the fence about them.

Not sure that's helped OP. Sorry.

catroo

Visit site
I use AF; my first horse died after ten months - EGS. Got full vets, hospitalisation and full price of horse. Over £8k in total. All done and dusted within four weeks. Got second horse. He got colic and then I got him scoped for ulcers. They paid for ulcers (didn't claim for colic). Then on my renewal they are excluding any 'stomach issues' for him. Now not sure what to do. On the one hand, feel quite loyal to them. Very good service etc but on the other that exclusion could cost me a lot now as such a broad manner of complaints could be stomach related and if I do change, does that mean I will still have the same exclusion with another insurers. So now on the fence about them.

You'll have to declare the claim to whoever you move to and they will probably exclude as we'll.

I use to find the best bet was to stay put (if your happy with everything else) and then after a period of time of no issues push to get the exclusion lifted.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
I have one of my horses with AF, not had to claim, but I moved from NFU when the monthly premiums got a bit beyond resonable. AF seem to offer reasonable cover for the cost, just read up on terms and conditions and exclusions and you should be ok..

Scarlett

Visit site

Any insurance company would have done the same I'm afraid.

NFU have done it with 2 of mine over colic/digestive issues. I think I now have more excluded that not and the monthly cost has gone up a lot, hence me looking elsewhere. I understand the exclusions will still apply with another company but it would be nice to be paying less, especially as it would allow me to put extra money away to have a fund there should any of the excluded conditions reoccur.

I think I'm going to go ahead with it having read the terms and conditions. Thanks folks!