Animal Friends Insurance - Cheap For A Reason Or...?

acorn92x

Visit site
I've just obtained a suspiciously cheap insurance quote with animal friends as my Mums new horse arrives soon and I said i'd sort this out for her. It's £11 a month cheaper than the next insurer that I've gotten a quote with. Has anyone had any experiences with them? She isn't going to insure for loss of use as will only be using her for hacking and light schooling so this would keep the cost down anyway but it seems suspiciously cheap to me. I know you only really know how good an insurance company is once you claim with them but it all seems okay. Pony wasn't vetted by us but was by her current owner just 3 months ago for insurance purposes so we don't really want to have to pay for another vetting but with Animal Friends, it appears that you don't need to have a vetting unless you insure for loss of use.

Advice please?

fatpiggy

Visit site
I've just obtained a suspiciously cheap insurance quote with animal friends as my Mums new horse arrives soon and I said i'd sort this out for her. It's £11 a month cheaper than the next insurer that I've gotten a quote with. Has anyone had any experiences with them? She isn't going to insure for loss of use as will only be using her for hacking and light schooling so this would keep the cost down anyway but it seems suspiciously cheap to me. I know you only really know how good an insurance company is once you claim with them but it all seems okay. Pony wasn't vetted by us but was by her current owner just 3 months ago for insurance purposes so we don't really want to have to pay for another vetting but with Animal Friends, it appears that you don't need to have a vetting unless you insure for loss of use.

Advice please?

I don't buy anything without googling the reviews first. There is no point buying insurance if the company is notorious for refusing to pay out. eg. E&L. Do your homework first.

booandellie

Visit site
The horse i share is insured with them, we have claimed for treatment of ulcers with no problems including supplements for a year however they have excluded ALL problems relating to the stomach which i am concerned about , we have queried this and waiting to find out if this means colic is no longer covered. Otherwise there have been no problems

Annagain

Visit site
I don't have horse insurance with them but they paid out for my dog's eye surgery with no quibbling. We got a cheque within a couple of days.

Emma_H

Visit site
Animal Friends were great when my cat had an abscess, covered it all and paid out quickly.

I don't know about their horse insurance side though

acorn92x

Visit site
I don't buy anything without googling the reviews first. There is no point buying insurance if the company is notorious for refusing to pay out. eg. E&L. Do your homework first.

That's what I'm doing, hence why I asked on here as the reviews for Animal Friends have not only been few and far between but varied too. I've heard too many horror stories about companies, like E&L, not paying out and I didn't want to jump in and purchase with Animal Friends, only to find that they were exactly the same. I understand that they previously used to be underwritten by E&L too.

I've previously insured with both KBIS and PetPlan so am thinking about sticking with what I know.

scrapster

Visit site
I claimed £5k with them last year, initially for SI issues, which then led to bone scans, xrays, and a diagnosing of hock issues, SI and slight KS. They paid for steroid injections, physio etc. The only thing was if your renewal is say August and you started claiming in March, the case runs from March to March, but you have to pay the excess again in August. I was very happy with them, he does have zillions of restrictions now though!

lindsayH

Visit site
One small point, check that your vet will do direct claims with them. Although I understand they are no longer underwritten by E&L, we won't allow direct claims with them at the moment. This may change in the future if they get a better track record, but for now our clients have to pay up front. You don't want to find yourself stuck with a big bill.

acorn92x

Visit site
One small point, check that your vet will do direct claims with them. Although I understand they are no longer underwritten by E&L, we won't allow direct claims with them at the moment. This may change in the future if they get a better track record, but for now our clients have to pay up front. You don't want to find yourself stuck with a big bill.

Thank you! That's a very good point actually, I'll give them a ring now and see what they say. I've had a read of the terms and conditions and I think KBIS sounds like a better bet due to the level of cover being more comprehensive plus they cover up to £5000 worth of vet bills with a smaller excess (Although monthly premium is more).

Worldiscomplete

Visit site
Same as Booandellie: horse had ulcers, paid out promptly etc, then been informed the whole of the digestive system ie from mouth to bum is excluded. I find this very harsh and will also raise it with them. Vet is prepared to support too. So if you do go them OP then I would be very selective of what you ask them to pay for.

mirage

Visit site
I got a quote,but discovered that they won't insure for any form of hunting,drag or otherwise,so didn't bother. I used Scottish Equestrian instead,who were always very helpful and a lot cheaper than my previous insurers.