Animal Friends Pet Insurance

Soap On A Rope

Visit site
Hi Guys
Has anyone any experience of this company re. Pet Insurance ?
We have just re-homed an American Bulldog from the Dogs Trust and are looking for insurance cover for when the free one months cover that he came with expires.
He is 9 , which is old for his breed which we know will push the price up.
Any info about Animal Friends would be greatly received.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

TPO

Visit site
I think if you search on here you'll find favourable reviews.

I've insured my pup with them on that basis but hoping that I never need it!

Boulty

Visit site
Read the small print as to what cover you're actually getting. They do some ok policies & some that are as much use as a chocolate fireguard in terms of level of cover.

Umbongo

Visit site
Just make sure you get a decent level of cover and read the small print. I don't know if they are better now, but a few years ago most vets I worked at would not do direct claims with animal friends as they were difficult to deal with.

Nasicus

Visit site
Just make sure you get a decent level of cover and read the small print. I don't know if they are better now, but a few years ago most vets I worked at would not do direct claims with animal friends as they were difficult to deal with.
Yup, Sister used to handle the insurance claims before becoming a SVN, they would not do direct claims with Animal Friends, so owners had to pay and then claim it back from Animal Friends.

rara007

Visit site
To be fair to animal friends their pre-auth system is fantastic. If you read the small print and realise the limitations of the cover (much of emergency out of hours work!) then it can be a useful cover.
I’ve just this year switched to purelypets from NFU. No issues but also no claims!

wren123

Visit site
Some friends changed to animal friends, shortly after their dog did his cruciate ligament. They paid up with no problem, didn't cover the whole cost, but paid what the policy was supposed to pay.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
They were underwritten by Equine and Leisure a few years back which is when they were really terrible, they aren't any more. I'm pretty sure I had an okay claim with them in recent years (I lose track!).
I’ve claimed the arse out of them recently and over the past few years.
Maybe a tad slow, a little difficult here and there but for the premiums which are a good half the price I can’t fault them. The customer service is great and they have always paid up.

Bionic Boy

Visit site
I’ve not used them for a dog but have my horse insured with them. Claimed twice to which they paid out without a problem. Just a couple of things niggled me with them. One was after having him in box rest for 8 weeks they agreed to pay everything except some sedalin to use the first couple of days he went out and the other thing was if your ongoing claims go over your renewal date you have to pay the excess again.
My own fault really as if I had read the small print I would have know that.
like others have said, go for the really good cover with them and they are ok.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve not used them for a dog but have my horse insured with them. Claimed twice to which they paid out without a problem. Just a couple of things niggled me with them. One was after having him in box rest for 8 weeks they agreed to pay everything except some sedalin to use the first couple of days he went out and the other thing was if your ongoing claims go over your renewal date you have to pay the excess again.
My own fault really as if I had read the small print I would have know that.
like others have said, go for the really good cover with them and they are ok.
I think that’s it. You do have to read the small print. The few times I struggled with them were really my fault for not reading through things properly

misst

Visit site
I have used them for several years without problems including a large claim for orthopaedic surgery on my dog. I have their top level of cover and am very happy with it. The pre-authorisation system is very quick and easy and they have never quibbled over anything.

nagblagger

Visit site
[QUOTE="BeansNsausages,

Insurance Imporium would be a better 'cheaper' alternative IMO.

Be aware of insurane emporium, they kept my card details and automatically renewed dog insurance using it. I pay annually so i can 'shop around each year', this was after i phoned them to say i wouldn't be renewing. I have now gone to Animal Friends so was reading this thread with trepidation...

Soap On A Rope

Visit site
Thank you so much guys for your info.
Unfortunately ,because our boy had a tumour removed from his shoulder , this was picked up during pre-rehoming vet check at Dogs Trust , and he is 9 , we cant get insurance.