Animal portraits: opinions please!

Jesstickle

Visit site
They're lovely. The milk bottle mouse is absolutely fantastic and the corgi pup has so much expression. I have a painting of BH which my brother's gf did for my Christmas present last year but once you're up and running I'd be really interested in a little pencil drawing of Nits. I really like pencil drawings and I'd like a small ish one I could put on a shelf rather than hang on the wall. I don't like to have to much in your face horse stuff hanging on the walls as it is OH's house but it would be nice to have a little something of her too :)

winkles

Visit site
Beautiful!

I love the simplicity of the pencil, it just works so nicely for you!

If you got going again I would certainly be interested in having a little pencil sketch from you, definitely saleable, you could make some good money! ;)

Good for you :D

alsxx

Visit site
They are really good, especially love the mice, so cute! You should absolutely set yourself up a website, I did mine through weebly which is free, but there are others that you can use for free I believe. Someone recommened the following forum to me - www.iart-learning.com/artforum/ - it's a useful resource for all things animal art related, from techniques through to critiques and then the 'business' side of things too :)

moosea

Visit site
How much do you charge for horse pic? and will your hand be fixed enough to do a couple in time for christmas?

FionaM12

Visit site
How much do you charge for horse pic? and will your hand be fixed enough to do a couple in time for christmas?

I really don't know what to charge yet! I will have to do some research before deciding. As for the hand, I sincerely hope the splint will be off soon, but that's up to the surgeon. So, sorry! I don't know that either..

Thanks everyone, for the feedback, the advice and the pm's. I will get on with it, as soon as my hand's back in action. Then I'll post a link to my site and give you a progress report.

Thanks again. xx

Kat

Visit site
I think you have got a really nice illustrative style, it reminded me of illustrations in older childrens books.

If you decide to start doing commissions then make sure you don't undersell yourself. Cost out your materials (even pencils need replacing periodically) and time yourself on each picture so that you get a better idea of how long they take you. You need to aim to have an hourly rate of at least minimum wage left after you have deducted your expenses. Don't forget to account for web hosting, advertising etc either.

Also remember to register with the inland revenue, you are allowed to make money from a hobby up to a certain limit without paying tax but you need to register.

My OH does pencil portraits too, so I'm speaking from his experiences! His website is www.mark-langley.com

FionaM12

Visit site
I think you have got a really nice illustrative style, it reminded me of illustrations in older childrens books.

If you decide to start doing commissions then make sure you don't undersell yourself. Cost out your materials (even pencils need replacing periodically) and time yourself on each picture so that you get a better idea of how long they take you. You need to aim to have an hourly rate of at least minimum wage left after you have deducted your expenses. Don't forget to account for web hosting, advertising etc either.

Also remember to register with the inland revenue, you are allowed to make money from a hobby up to a certain limit without paying tax but you need to register.

My OH does pencil portraits too, so I'm speaking from his experiences! His website is www.mark-langley.com

Thankyou. I'll had a look at your OH's website. Alsolutely amazing, lovely website and incredible work.