ANKY TAKES GOLD

skewbaldpony

Visit site
That not halting thing really bugs me! I agree he was superb but it is just plain weird not to halt!
Ten for transitions - is there a required transition to halt in the kur, I can't remember?!
Not to take the shine off, though, she was fab!

kerilli

Visit site
Absolutely. it argues a huge amount of tension. the fact is that we expect a kid's pony to halt when asked to...
and no, that doesn't mean that i think i'm better than Anky, just that i think the horse should not be too tense to halt for a second or 4!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Amazing test, beautifully ridden.. but i'm sure i won't be the first to say that he really really should be able to halt for a second!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that, tension is in danger of becoming obligatory at that level.

Have not seen the test so cannot comment but am not surprised she won, the judges seem to love her no matter what.

christine48

Visit site
He didn't do the final halt in the grand prix and still got a mark for the movement. I thought if a movement wasn't carried out you were supposed to get a 0.

skewbaldpony

Visit site
The points were for : 'Halt. Immobility. Salute.'
Even if you attribute equal marks to the salute, which I can't see you should, because the horse is required to perform the other two parts and the salute is a formality, it should have been impossible for Salinero to get more than 3.3, rounded down to 3. In actual fact he got 4. It adds grist to the mill of those who say dressage should not be an olympic sport.

ddd

Visit site
I think you all need to lighten up on the halt thing. The trainsition mark is for the trainsitions from piaffe to passage and passage to piaffe, she may have got a low mark for her halts.

We can all make our horses stand still in normal circumstances as i am sure Anky can but you try and halt a horse at the end of a test when the horse knows the crowd of thousands of people are about to erupt.

The more famous the rider and the better the test the more the crowd goes mad and in the past they have not waited until the final halt is stationary and the rider has saluted.

Salinero knows this is coming and without the ability to rent a crowd to practise she has to deal with it the best she can.

I think you have to be brave to sit on a horse like him knowing this is coming. To me Isabels horses resistance in the piaffe was a much more serious fault.

Well done Anky and Emma.

kerilli

Visit site
every other horse managed to halt at the beginning and end, in spite of the atmosphere etc.
this horse is known for this fault, by the way. she was very clever with her entry, walking in and doing an infinitessimally short halt (i don't think 'immobility' was achieved.)
i'll try not performing the halt at the end of a novice event test and see what i get for the movement!
wink.gif

bennsboy

Visit site
So glad that I am not the only one thinking that.....no halt...movement not performed.....0

Oh well does that make the inconsistency of judging at grass roots level more acceptable?

Might try not halting in my next prelim test if its ok at the Olympics......

skewbaldpony

Visit site
And I must say not a good example to kids (eg mine) watching.
I'm not saying Anky shouldn't have won the freestyle - but in the GP it is inescapable, you are to halt and show immobility, and I don't CARE that the crowd is about to explode, that is rather the point of the discipline, in its origins, the enemy were about to attack but you were still supposed to bl*ddy well HALT!
Oh, OK, so Salinero is big famous, so he gets big applause, so he anticipates, therefore he won't halt?
Noooooooooo.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't do the final halt in the grand prix and still got a mark for the movement. I thought if a movement wasn't carried out you were supposed to get a 0.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would, unless your name is Anky
smirk.gif

Hedgewitch13

Visit site
Totally agree with you. Big name, big marks no matter what
smirk.gif
Also I for one did not think that test was fabulous, I suspect I will be in the minority with that comment though. Reval stood out to me as being the best of what I saw - now, imho, that was a stunning test.

Alibear

Visit site
The halt marks have very little effect over the free style , there's no co-efficient and they are not just marked as a halt.
As I understant the halt mark is mixed in with the centre line mark etc, so trans also come into it. So yes it would have been low but not a 0 and it doesn't have enough overall effect on the score to blow her test.
I bet if asked she'd admit Salinero just doesn't halt, she was also the only one to enter the arena at walk so she could get her first halt in, which she did just as she got into the arena.
Have to say I thought it was one of her best tests.

Halfstep

Visit site
I agree P_B. I thought it was a stunning test, even without the final halt. The music was beautiful, it was flowing, not at all choppy like some of them, beautifully executed and she showed a fabulous extended walk. By far the best test of the day.

runaway

Visit site
Did anyone else see Anky *PAT* her horse about 6 mins into the highlight coverage on BBC iplayer
wink.gif

Ok so her's is the only test I've sort of watched at work so others probably have done the same but hey she's the only one I've seen and becasue she did that she deserves top marks. That horse was working SO hard and she took the time to pat him during their test. Amazing
smile.gif

christian

RaThEr-bE-RiDiN0610.bebo.com
he just WON'T halt! Surely Anky must have spent ages working on it as it is his main fault? But when it gets to the important bit he just won't.

If a horse decides it doesn't want to do something it won't and theres nothing we as riders can really do about it. They aren't machines. They have a spirit of their own, and for whatever reason, Salinero just doesn't want to halt, and there is clearly not very much Anky can do about it, other then make up for it with the rest of it being brilliant- which it clearly is.
*braces self*

skewbaldpony

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone else see Anky *PAT* her horse about 6 mins into the highlight coverage on BBC iplayer
wink.gif

Ok so her's is the only test I've sort of watched at work so others probably have done the same but hey she's the only one I've seen and becasue she did that she deserves top marks. That horse was working SO hard and she took the time to pat him during their test. Amazing
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm sorry, she doesn't, because that isn't how it works! It may be how you'd like it to work, but it isn't!
having said that, looking at the scoresheet here
http://www.fei.org/Disciplines/Dressage/Organisers/Documents/GPF03_2006_E.pdf
it has to be said that with the coefficients and the 200 for artistic interpretation, it appears the judges are quite within their remit to just hand it on a plate to the person they like best.
I think what would be good would be if we'd all understood that, and not felt that technically correct was a factor.
However, i do think they get confused, because this is NOT true of the GP or the Speciale, but the same logic seems to have been applied!
Ducking and running also!
laugh.gif