Annoyed and upset after tonight's ride :(

be positive

Visit site
She was awful again tonight :( didn't even get quarter way round our route. Had the spinning and rearing before I even got out the yard, didn't help that she's in season and the yearling was galloping about trying to get to us. She cantered on the spot trying to get back down to the yard again. I led her out and got back on again when we were on the lane away from the yard, same again, so led her and she was fine, heard the others neigh and got a bit wound up. Tried to get on her again, didn't change, carried on leading, tried to get on again to continue another three times in different spots further down our route and just had the same thing. I didn't want to push her in case she reared really high again and risk flipping over! So I got on and just headed home, she trotted the whole way home as jolly as anything! I don't know what's the matter with her at the moment! Is it the weather? Grass?

Trotting home will compound the problem by allowing her to think it is ok to turn around and go home faster than she went out no wonder she was jolly, if you do have to give up and turn for home ensure you walk at your pace and ideally do something once you get back, otherwise you are contributing to the problem, it would be better to do loops if you can but if ever you go back the way you set out always walk home, do some transitions to halt to establish some basic manners with a few circles to break the pattern, she may have excuses to behave badly but unless you ride consistently and do some work on the basics any amount of calmers, diet changes etc will make no difference to her general behaviour.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It sounds more like napping to me as she does it on the way out and you have already mentioned she is fine in company, I know you have had previous issues with this horse and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if she is feeling some sort of pain or discomfort somewhere, rearing to that extent is quite an extreme behaviour response and a dangerous one at that.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
She was awful again tonight :( didn't even get quarter way round our route. Had the spinning and rearing before I even got out the yard, didn't help that she's in season and the yearling was galloping about trying to get to us. She cantered on the spot trying to get back down to the yard again. I led her out and got back on again when we were on the lane away from the yard, same again, so led her and she was fine, heard the others neigh and got a bit wound up. Tried to get on her again, didn't change, carried on leading, tried to get on again to continue another three times in different spots further down our route and just had the same thing. I didn't want to push her in case she reared really high again and risk flipping over! So I got on and just headed home, she trotted the whole way home as jolly as anything! I don't know what's the matter with her at the moment! Is it the weather? Grass?

I agree with be positive and really don't understand why you didn't lead her the whole way round if necessary. What is matter with her is that she knows that she can push your buttons and you won't be consistently firm with her. Can you get someone to help you lead her round your hacking route? Then to help you to long-rein her round the route? And then to lead her while you ride?

Ellietotz

Visit site
It sounds more like napping to me as she does it on the way out and you have already mentioned she is fine in company, I know you have had previous issues with this horse and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if she is feeling some sort of pain or discomfort somewhere, rearing to that extent is quite an extreme behaviour response and a dangerous one at that.

We went out with others on Saturday and she was good as gold so it can't be pain can it? She has never been this bad and I'm worried that it's going to become a regular thing.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I agree with be positive and really don't understand why you didn't lead her the whole way round if necessary. What is matter with her is that she knows that she can push your buttons and you won't be consistently firm with her. Can you get someone to help you lead her round your hacking route? Then to help you to long-rein her round the route? And then to lead her while you ride?

I was going to lead round the whole way but it was getting dark by this point. She was absolutely fine when leading minus when the others were neighing when closer to home. I don't know what to do when she starts messing around, I can't push her on as she gets more wound up. :(

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was going to lead round the whole way but it was getting dark by this point. She was absolutely fine when leading minus when the others were neighing when closer to home. I don't know what to do when she starts messing around, I can't push her on as she gets more wound up. :(

Get off and lead her, insist that she goes where you want her to go, always go on a circular or 'lollipop' route, leave yourself plenty of time to deal with her and please get someone to help you before one of you gets seriously hurt.

ETA Just had another thought!

You have just taken her off sugary food, haven't you? My mare went absolutely crazy when I did that! My advice is to give her a week off, just leave her in the field as much as possible, to allow her to get over her withdrawal symptoms. I am sure that when she gets over the sugary feed, she will be a much happier horse.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
If there's no physical issue, then it sounds like she has your number. She knows just how to behave so that you give in.

Time for experienced help. :)

Ellietotz

Visit site
Get off and lead her, insist that she goes where you want her to go, always go on a circular or 'lollipop' route, leave yourself plenty of time to deal with her and please get someone to help you before one of you gets seriously hurt.

I wonder if it's best to just leave that route for a while to regain her trust in me when I'm on. I don't want to make things worse and I don't want her to think she can get the better of me. Would that be best? I haven't tried going another way since last week's situation but if she does it again then, I don't know what to do. Ride her out with others for a bit perhaps? Just more stress. :(

catroo

Visit site
I don't think 'trust' is the issue, if definitely not pain then I'm afraid she sounds like she's taking complete advantage of you. She'll probably keep on raising the stakes because she knows you'll back down and she'll get her own way.

You need expert help to deal with this, the longer you leave it, the worse it will likely get

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wonder if it's best to just leave that route for a while to regain her trust in me when I'm on. I don't want to make things worse and I don't want her to think she can get the better of me. Would that be best? I haven't tried going another way since last week's situation but if she does it again then, I don't know what to do. Ride her out with others for a bit perhaps? Just more stress. :(

I'm not sure if you have seen my edit abut withdrawal symptoms from the sugar?

Ellietotz

Visit site

ETA Just had another thought!

You have just taken her off sugary food, haven't you? My mare went absolutely crazy when I did that! My advice is to give her a week off, just leave her in the field as much as possible, to allow her to get over her withdrawal symptoms. I am sure that when she gets over the sugary feed, she will be a much happier horse.

No I hadn't seen the edit! Yes, taken off it 3 days a go. I didn't even think they could have a withdrawal impact like this! I'm starting to think she is showing all signs of ulcers again so I'm torn between waiting a week or scoping asap?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
We went out with others on Saturday and she was good as gold so it can't be pain can it? She has never been this bad and I'm worried that it's going to become a regular thing.

well if you completely sure it's not pain related it sounds like she is napping when she is on her own, I have one that naps it's a pita some days his really good others his a horror but my horse has had very minimal hacking in his 12 years, so I know his behaviour is due to lack of experience and confidence on his own, I tend to hack with others as my life is easier and he is happier I think some horses just never truly like being hacked alone, I have done a lot of on foot walking with him which really helped and a few very short rides he copes with, maybe just ride with others for a while and just lead her when you have to go alone and see how it goes.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
No I hadn't seen the edit! Yes, taken off it 3 days a go. I didn't even think they could have a withdrawal impact like this! I'm starting to think she is showing all signs of ulcers again so I'm torn between waiting a week or scoping asap?

I would wait, tbh. She may have a return of ulcers but having experienced completely off the wall behaviour from a horse who was being fed sugary food (it's a very long time ago - I learned better) and then withdrawing from it, I wouldn't rush to spend the money on the scoping just yet. Honestly my mare's behaviour was much worse than yours - I had stopped riding her long before I realised what was wrong with her, a week later and she was like a completely different horse!
Do keep yourself safe and don't ride her for a few more days.

LadySam

Visit site
I don't think 'trust' is the issue, if definitely not pain then I'm afraid she sounds like she's taking complete advantage of you. She'll probably keep on raising the stakes because she knows you'll back down and she'll get her own way.

You need expert help to deal with this, the longer you leave it, the worse it will likely get

The horse has a history of this. And Ellie knows how much her own personality and bearing plays into this.

Ellie, I just googled trainers in your area and there are a few good prospects. You've done a great job so far on your own bringing her on from where she was, but a professional on the ground helping you out, who can see the horse and what she does first hand, would be invaluable. It's a little bit of help that would go a very long way.

We always knew she was a hard case who would need you to be very consistent with her. She's the kind of horse where issues like this are going to pop up all the time. Some coaching for both of you from a good problem horse trainer (not a riding instructor) who can teach you how to manage her behaviour will really set you up.

Ellietotz

Visit site
The horse has a history of this. And Ellie knows how much her own personality and bearing plays into this.

Ellie, I just googled trainers in your area and there are a few good prospects. You've done a great job so far on your own bringing her on from where she was, but a professional on the ground helping you out, who can see the horse and what she does first hand, would be invaluable. It's a little bit of help that would go a very long way.

We always knew she was a hard case who would need you to be very consistent with her. She's the kind of horse where issues like this are going to pop up all the time. Some coaching for both of you from a good problem horse trainer (not a riding instructor) who can teach you how to manage her behaviour will really set you up.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate this. She is being scoped in the morning so if it isn't ulcers, then I can rule it off. I have been consistently firm with her and what worries me is after the other day when I tried to push her and be strict with her, she nearly flipped us over on the road. She has never been nappy and only ever hacked out alone when she was younger which makes me feel like there is another problem. She is spooky but not like this. I really hope there is a somewhat simple answer to it all. :(