Annoyed box rester

Visit site
My horse is on week 3 of 8 weeks box rest after having arthroscopic surgery in his right knee. Stitches came out last Tuesday and under surgeons instructions he's having at least 1 at most 2 5 min walks a day. When we leave he's perfect but when we return he starts to get fidgety and shaking his head and squeaking. He has reared up a couple of times usually when he gets in the gateway. I'm sure it's because he just wants a proper hack and to back to his field where he lives out. Anyone have any suggestions on how to nip this in the bud please??
Thanks

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I would ask the vet for some sedation a few mls of sedalin will take the edge of him and make him easier to handle, my horse had nearly 5 months box rest he was also fine on the way out but was a real handful as soon as we headed home, I just used the sedation for the in hand walking as he was more settled when we started riding.

michelledud

Visit site
Can you walk him 2 mins or so to some grass and hand-graze for a while then 2 mins back to his stable? Poor pony, it might make him a bit happier and feel less like he's been shut up all day (grazing in hand, if he is sensible and will stand rather than mess around, can't be much different to standing in his stable)?