Annual Boosters

Tarragon

Visit site
I used to have their annual booster and teeth done early May. They would be well on their way to having a summer coat, and be clean and presentable and in time for all the summer activities. Because you have to get the booster done before this anniversary, and I try to fit in with the Saver Day discount, and around my availability and the availability of the vet, each year this date is slowly moving back. Now it is really early in April, and I have two muddy yaks in the field. In a few years time it will be mid winter! I think it is ridiculous that you cannot have say 5 days either way, so it stays the same time of year.

Fieldlife

Visit site
I used to have their annual booster and teeth done early May. They would be well on their way to having a summer coat, and be clean and presentable and in time for all the summer activities. Because you have to get the booster done before this anniversary, and I try to fit in with the Saver Day discount, and around my availability and the availability of the vet, each year this date is slowly moving back. Now it is really early in April, and I have two muddy yaks in the field. In a few years time it will be mid winter! I think it is ridiculous that you cannot have say 5 days either way, so it stays the same time of year.
Surely it only move back a day or two each year? So take a fair while to slip back a month?

MissTyc

Visit site
I did the same, letting it creep back for the cheaper zone visit. Then I needed the 6-month booster for a championship so I timed that as a hard reset to a more convenient time of year where I can normally get a day off to pop to the clinic. This means the creep is stalled lol.

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Our vet does zone days every Friday so we only lose a week, going to try and tie in with our neighbour and do all four at the same time.

I listened to a podcast by Dr David Marlin about vaccines and essentially there are only 2 types (i think) one of which doesn't even cover every strain, apparently immunity is less as they get old which is the opposite of what I thought, I've actually restarted my mare as she had missed the 365 deadline a few years ago. I think I just secretly like paying the vets all my money!

zoon

Visit site
Mine was a month late for flu this year. Busy life at the time meant the reminder email was forgotten about. Since I never compete this horse, she vaccinated him as normal and said it won’t make a blind bit of difference.

sport horse

Visit site
Problem then is if you say 12 months +/- 7 days someone will miss by 8 days and say well it is only one day over the limit so that should be OK too?

Melody Grey

Visit site
Mine was a month late for flu this year. Busy life at the time meant the reminder email was forgotten about. Since I never compete this horse, she vaccinated him as normal and said it won’t make a blind bit of difference.
Mine too- I had the date last year’s was due written down but had them done a week or so early, so missed y date this year 😩 we don’t compete and my vet said the same. Not restarting three over it!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I missed one by a month a few years ago but she started being funny with needles.

A few weeks ago she was sedated and immediately started stumbling around before lying down for over an hour. No more injections for her anymore. She goes nowhere.

Hallo2012

Visit site
mine have to stay on every 6 months for stud work AND have EHV....if i dont keep both ponies on the same date and keep that date VERY consistent its so easy to lose track!

SEL

Visit site
Surely it only move back a day or two each year? So take a fair while to slip back a month?
I'm going to be a week early this year because of vet visit dates tying up with work schedule. She'll be done around 14 April but when I look in passport she was end of May 9 years ago!