annular ligament constriction and steroid treatment

JenniferR

Visit site
My horse has just been diagnosed with annular ligament thickening in both hinds as far as we can see not as the result of any injury. The annular thickening is constricting other tendons/ligaments and making her lame, one leg is worse than the other. She was 2/10 lame with worse leg on outside of circle. When that leg was blocked out, other leg was 1/10 lame. So ... vet has suggested either keyhole surgery to cut annular ligament or injections of steroids to see if this helps. I see quite a few posts on this forum about the surgery but wondered if anyone has experience of steroid injections and their success for this condition. If anyone would share their experiences (positive or negative) I'd like to hear whether the injections worked and for how long.

Kazza777

Visit site
Hiya, sorryto jump on an old post, but what did you decideto do? Did you find anyone who had treated with steroids instead of the surgery?

sz90168

Visit site
I found the steroids only last a few months when my then horse had problems. I opted for surgery and it was the best thing I could do. Horse still sound 4 years later.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Kazza I treated with steroids which did show some improvement as it wasn't my oldies (24 at the time) only issue, and I moved him to a flatter area of the country. He carried on hacking for about 18 months before other issues meant I retired him.
With a younger horse I would operate.

windand rain

Visit site
The surgery has come a long way since my old girl had it done 16 years ago She is doing great and has only had a few intermittent lameness episode during those years so I would operate too

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine had the op on both hinds at 19 and he’s still hacking at 24yrs.

He had a dose of steroids about 4 months after the surgery I believe to reduce adhesions.

Bon bon

New User
Visit site
My friends horse had op on both hind legs and done other tiding while doing op all for same price . He now back riding as normal thst was about 3 years ago he’s 25 now