Annular Ligament Injury

NicolaC

Visit site
My mare has been diagnosed with this injury and is going back to the vets for the injections into the fetlock. Has anyone else's horse had this treatment and how long did it take before they came sound again? Also how many weeks box rest did they have to have? I know I will find this out when we go for the injections but would like to hear other people experience with it. xx

Hoopsa

Visit site
Had a mare with hind leg annular ligament lameness but over twenty five years ago so my experience is now well out of date.... The injections in the fetlock worked initially. I can't remember how long she was off work but she returned to compete in dressage. However the problem returned a year later and she had surgery to section the ligament. I had to start riding her pretty soon after the op so the ligament didn't mend itself. Unfortunately she didn't become 100% sound so she was retired to grass. Within a year she was absolutely sound in the field and I did some light hacking but never went back to competing her for fear that she would break down again. She lived for many more years and was never lame again. Sorry I can't tell you that everything worked really well but I think it was pretty new surgery at the time and things will have progressed by now. Very best wishes that all goes well with your horse.

frozzy

Visit site
I had a pony do his hind annular ligament. Was rested for eighteen months. Put back into slow light work and was lame again within a week. Was a paddock ornament for the rest of his life. Sorry not the news you are looking for.

mandyroberts

Visit site
My boy was diagnosed at 22 yrs - had cortisone jab into fetlock - sound virtually immediately, lasted 2 years, another jab, lasted a year, another lasted nearly 2 years and then adjacent tendon severed from rubbing against inflamed ligament. No box rest as he climbed the walls and vet agreed he would do more damage than going out, but 3 days off each time and then walking out starting at 20 mins and adding each day. You don't say how old your mare is?

NicolaC

Visit site
Frozzy if she doesn't come sound it will not be the end of the world as she will be put in foal for myself.
She is only 10 so will be keeping my fingers crossed.

dotty1

Visit site
My old cob mare injured her annular ligament, she had 2 steroid injections into it. She didn't do any box rest (doesn't do much other than eat out). She then was put in foal and not ridden until foaly was about 6 months old. She has not had any problems with it since, but only does a bit of hacking 3 -4 times a week.

She was non weight bearing on it when she did it, I can't remember how long after the first injection was but she was approx 80% sound shortly after that and then shortly afterthe 2nd injection she was sound.

MizzPurpleKitten

Visit site
My boy had annular ligament problems, he initially had the op and then had a few cortisone injections into the fetlock too. He had about 8 weeks box rest following the op itself but after each injection it was only a couple of days. He was 100% sound shortly after, but he did have some adhesions following the op (hence the injections) and again came 100% sound :)

scramble_cam

Visit site
Hi
My 15 year old horse had an enlarged annular ligament that stayed enlarged and pressing on the tendon even with antiinflam. injections (and she stayed lame) so we had it operated on and cut to relieve the pressure. This was last June. She was brought back into work in August after a few months of box/small paddock rest and walking. I gradually increased her work and she is now hacking, schooling and doing abit of jumping and touch wood she is staying sound.

jillanddaniel

New User
Visit site
My horse is about 6 weeks out from annular ligament surgery on his right hind. He isn't sound. The vet is coming out this week to have another look and do some injecting. Over the phone he said that he should have been better within a couple of weeks. He's fine at the walk, but always has been. He's seemingly no better at the trot. Today was our first day of trot and I was told that if he doesn't get any better within the next two weeks then he's officially done. :-(

Anyone whose horse has had surgery...how long did it take them to come sound.