Annular Ligaments and Surgery

whiteflower

Visit site
Yes, my old pony was lame with annular ligament damage. Box rest and gradual return to turnout then work and she was sound and stayed sound into old age, ridden. Into her late 20's. I think it would depend on the site and type of injury with the ligament. Mine was many moons ago and surgery wasn't even given as an option

Lyndab22

Visit site
Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of an annular ligament healing without resorting to surgery?

Thank you.
My cobs has the surgery 6 weeks ago, so far he’s doing canny, he wudnt have been able to have been left without the surgery, we are up to ten mins walking inhand twice a day, and a small tales of area of paddock for two to three hours turn out, then back in stable
I’ve noticed he’s stiff today , so I’ve left the walking and gave him some devils claw, hopefully he’s just overdone a bit by being out longer yesterday

AandK

Visit site
I think it would also depend on if the damage is primary, or secondary to another tendon/ligament issue. Mine was initially thought to be primary, but I opted for the op anyway, was then found to be secondary to sesamoidian ligament injury so the op was the right choice as rest/steriods alone wouldn't of helped long term. Horse had the op 11/08/15 and has had no issues since, made a full return to work (eventing at 80cm), he was 18 when he had the op.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think it would depend on the type of damage too, Frank's annular ligament damage was all old minor damage adding up at 23. He did have a steroid injection and more turnout meant that the associated swelling (above the annular) subsided and his lameness from it reduced. After about a year the swelling had returned and lameness wise it's rather hard to tell as he is a bit stiff all over now.

nikkiclarke

New User
Visit site
Hi my horse had annular ligament surgery about 10 years ago and it has been pretty good since then until last week when he went lame on the other hind leg and I suspect he has done the same injury on this leg, I will find out on Thursday when we go for scans.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think it would also depend on if the damage is primary, or secondary to another tendon/ligament issue. Mine was initially thought to be primary, but I opted for the op anyway, was then found to be secondary to sesamoidian ligament injury so the op was the right choice as rest/steriods alone wouldn't of helped long term. Horse had the op 11/08/15 and has had no issues since, made a full return to work (eventing at 80cm), he was 18 when he had the op.

Similar to a horse of mine, but no surgery and she came sound with box rest and appropriate rehab.

Lyndab22

Visit site
My cob had surgery a yr ago gone August, he’s sound now, and out hacking again, he did get left with a small swelling , this goes down when he is worked etc, he’s had three lots of hyraulonic injection, and it did great for him, you wouldn’t even know he’s had surgery, as he has big feathers up legs and they hide the small swelling mg

Darbs

Visit site
I am interested in this discussion, my daughters pony went slightly lame (2/10) in the middle of Pony Club Camp at the end of July, after field rest and different tests the vets have diagniosed him with annular ligament desmitis and traumatic tenosynovitis.

It is not a severe injuy, with the vet commenting that there was 'nothing catastrophic' on the ultrasound (he has had x-rays too). He has been injected with anti-inflammatories and is now on 6 weeks box rest.

However the vet did say that this was step one, and if it didnt cure it then there were other longer term options including surgery.

Louby

Visit site
Meeeeeee :( well Im currently doing the rehabilitation. Mine is a 5yr old Sports Horse, it was caused by trauma to the area after basically being battered in the field in June. Its been really hard, she did 4 weeks box rest, inhand walks 3 times a day towards the end, individual turn out in a small area, increasing it in both time and space. She is now still alone but has a decent sized area and is turned out all day which has made life easier. Up until a couple of weeks ago she wore stable bandages every night, Ive iced it, hosed it, magnetic boots, booted her in the field, basically bubble wrapped her!
She has been scanned every 6 weeks and has healed remarkably quick according to my vet, we had a blip mid way when she became a candidate for surgery after she had a mad 5 mins in the field and made it much worse but we rescanned 2 weeks later and amazingly it was looking much better and my vet said it would be unethical to cut the ligament as although unlikely things could end up worse as she was barely 1/10th lame. She does have a swelling at the back, it went like a golf ball when she made matters worse but doesnt really look bad at all atm.
She hasnt been badly lame at any time (touching wood!!) and was 100% sound 2 weeks ago so I was given the go ahead to ride her in walk for 20 mins a day building it up. Im now struggling and havent been able to keep this up due to lack of help on the very small yard Im on plus no facilities but we have been walking her in hand.
What I find hard is he said she could end up back to square one at any point if she does something silly in the field and after completely wrapping her in cotton wool, spending hours watching her, Ive had to finally let go for my own sanity and accept what will be will be.