Annular operation.

Sarah&george12

New User
Visit site
Hi there.

My 12.2 cob went in for surgery 6 weeks ago, to cut the annular ligament.

He was box rested for 3 weeks. He was absolutely loopy so surgeon said I can put him in stable size paddock outside. Which has settled him.

Just had our first 6 week check up and he’s still lame!! I’m so worried. ( could be his leg is still weak??)
Vet mentioned that sometimes the ligament can attach to something else in the leg. This is now my fear.

I haven’t managed to do his x2 a day walks. Mostly but some days it’s been so wet and muddy that it’s not been safe!

Has anyone else gone through this? I have no one to talk to.
Thank you in advance 🙏🏻

meleeka

Visit site
I did with my cob. It was 10 years ago
now so things may have moved on. I think the walking is pretty essential and mine had to be sedated twice a day. They normally come sound pretty quickly so I’d want it looked at again. When mine didn’t come sound I took him back to Liphook where they found a bone chip (possibly done while he was doing his acrobatics whilst in hand walking 🙄). He went on a high dose of bute for 10 days, to bring the swelling down and the chip was left where it was. He never had another days lameness in his life, so it did work. It was very stressful at the time and put me off box resting anything for life!

AandK

Visit site
For a successful outcome the rehab must be done.
Agree. My boy had box rest for 2 weeks and then into a pen and walking commenced, I was religious about doing it every day. He also had another ligament injury to contend with (had PRP at the time of the op), he was almost sound 2 months post op and fully sound at 4 months.

Hallo2012

Visit site
if you dont have safe hand walking facilities he will need to go on livery at a rehab yard IMO.

not mine but a friends had the op, they did the hand walking to the minutes and he is back out at medium, ready to go adv medium.

the early days hand walking is key from what i know.

Sarah&george12

New User
Visit site
The controlled walking in hand is what will help strengthen the leg, increasing distance and time every few days as per vets instructions.
Can you get access to level surface (road, lane?) to march him on?
I have a road, thank you.
I got told 5min twice a day. But might do what’s you’ve suggested xx

Sarah&george12

New User
Visit site
if you dont have safe hand walking facilities he will need to go on livery at a rehab yard IMO.

not mine but a friends had the op, they did the hand walking to the minutes and he is back out at medium, ready to go adv medium.

the early days hand walking is key from what i know.
U
Without wanting to do one upmanship on whether I had to rehab in Feb 2022 with all the storms. We missed the day our shelter blew apart in 100mph but otherwise I hauled us both up a busy road twice a day to avoid mud and even did circuits of my small yard.
omg your field shelter ha ha!

Our issue is the mud. Vet said the suction of pulling his foot out was not worth it. Xx

Sarah&george12

New User
Visit site
If you only have mud, then I’d second a rehab yard.
Unfortunately we just can afford it.
Insurance didn’t pay for everything so we’ve had to pay a lot.
But I’ll chat to vet again, now his stitches are out and wounds healed nicely.
I normally just walk him round his field.
I have walked him out on rehab! Only a few times I couldn’t.
Think I’ll take him out on the road more, and increase the distance slowly

Sarah&george12

New User
Visit site
What did the vet say about the lameness on your check up? I think the walking is to stop adhesions forming.
Nothing really. Just said give him a bigger paddock now and see in another 6 weeks.
I have been walking him out. Think I didn’t right my post clearly. Only missed a few due to weather.
I just wondered if anyone else horse was still
Lame after 6 weeks

SEL

Visit site
I just walked on the road - it was too muddy for any off road stuff.

I got a high viz horse walker rug and chucked a tonne of high viz on myself and we did out and back each day. Pocket full of treats in case we needed to park up for any lorries.

Boring but had the added benefit that when she was back under saddle she was totally traffic proof!

Zoeypxo

Visit site
A friends horse had the op and unfortunately never came sound and was pts . His fetlock was very arthritic aswell ,the surgery and box rest made him so sore.
They tried arthramid twice and loads of hand walking 2x a day it just didnt work. He was 20ish. He was the sweetest horse.