Another ‘ name needed’ post

GreyMane

Visit site
I always wonder with names that you need to know how to pronounce, do you then spend years wincing at shows as your horse's name is mangled over the P.A. ?
Old memories of Raymond Brooks-Ward saying "Tea-Soulaiky" ... whose horse was that? :)

ArklePig

Visit site
I always wonder with names that you need to know how to pronounce, do you then spend years wincing at shows as your horse's name is mangled over the P.A. ?
Old memories of Raymond Brooks-Ward saying "Tea-Soulaiky" ... whose horse was that? :)

Not the same, but there was a racehorse called Orlaith (Orla) at one stage, and my sister called Orlaith angrily tweeted a commentator with a lesson in pronunciation ?

ArklePig

Visit site
Brian in Irish is still spelled Brian but pronounced Bree uhn. Alternatively there's Briain- but this is more commonly used as a surname, for example Dara O'Briain.

Brián isn't really a real name at all, it's an affectation of people trying to Irish up an already Irish name by sticking a fada (accent) where it doesn't belong. As blue waves said it would be Bri awwwn as the fada lengthens the vowel. So Cauda is quite right.

Sorry for derailing your thread Meredith, and thanks for coming to my Gaeilge lesson.

only_me

Visit site
For some reason I saw his face & expression and instantly thought “moose”

quite like that as a barn name tbh!

otherwise

Barney
Blue
Gerald
Oisin - pronounced osh-een
Monty

tbh you don’t really want a name that people have to ask how to pronounce. faff!

FireCracker238

Visit site
Oran after the Coleraine F.C. manager

Google gave me this:
Oran as a boy's name is of Aramaic, Irish and Gaelic origin, and the meaning of Oran is "light; pale".

Thought it was apt with him being a grey ?

Visit site
Brian in Irish is still spelled Brian but pronounced Bree uhn. Alternatively there's Briain- but this is more commonly used as a surname, for example Dara O'Briain.

Brián isn't really a real name at all, it's an affectation of people trying to Irish up an already Irish name by sticking a fada (accent) where it doesn't belong. As blue waves said it would be Bri awwwn as the fada lengthens the vowel. So Cauda is quite right.

Sorry for derailing your thread Meredith, and thanks for coming to my Gaeilge lesson.

Brian is an English name not Irish, pronounced Bry Ann, I am very very funny about spelling and the pronouncement of names as mine gets buggered up everyone of every walk of life, so much so I use a different name all together to avoid the hassle

Fred66

Visit site
Finn (means fair in Irish - apparently some ancient warrior got nicknamed this when his hair went grey) or Connor (hints at Connemara)

Both names are from Irish descent

cauda equina

Visit site
Brian is an English name not Irish, pronounced Bry Ann, I am very very funny about spelling and the pronouncement of names as mine gets buggered up everyone of every walk of life, so much so I use a different name all together to avoid the hassle
It was Irish enough for Brian Boru, High King of Ireland (died 1014)

Fred66

Visit site
Looked it up and Brian is of Irish descent and has numerous spellings. The English version is Bryan/Bryon.

But irrespective its irrevocably linked in my mind with Monty Python and should always be followed with “he’s not the Messiah, he’s a very naughty boy” ?

ArklePig

Visit site
Connemara is my favourite place in the whole world, with many happy memories so I can't get away from names that link to the place. Has Corrib been suggested? It's the river that runs through Galway. Other names that have a link to the region- Flaherty, Marble, Diamond, Ben.

Visit site
Bruce, Barney, Barley, Buddy, Buzzby, Ben, Benji, Benson, Harry, Henry, Hank, Harvey, Harley, Jack, Jake, Jeffr,Jarvis, Jason, Jackson, Marty, Marley, Marvin, Mervin, Monty, Morris, Pete, Peter, Perry, Percy, Patrick, Paul, Pedro, Ron, Reg, Ray, Ralph, Raff, Rubeus, Albus, Severus, Saracen, Dan, Dave, Dez,