Another 4x4 towing thread, sorry! Mercedes question.

myhorsefred

Visit site
Hi all,

Following on from all the other towing questions, got me thinking. We are picking up a Mercedes ML 280 CDI (diesel) on saturday. And I was wondering, is this any good to tow with in your opinions?

The man in the dealership said, yes it will tow a house etc etc, but then you guys know more than him. It is an automatic gearbox, but the man told me you can also use the gears like a normal manual gearbox.

Towing ok with this?

thanks all

Farma

Visit site
I towed 2 horses with a friends ml and couldnt even feel the trailer on the back, had to keep reminding myself I was towing and that was an auto.

I now tow 1 horses in an ifor single with a mercedes car (auto) and that is a dream as well.

myhorsefred

Visit site
Thanks both.

Rog - looked at the tabs and I see where it says 3500 braked. but only 750kg unbraked.

What does braked and unbraked mean? sorry to be thick!

BigRed

Visit site
Modern trailers have brakes. Your horse trailer will be a braked trailer. The ML ought to have plenty of guts to tow with. However when I tried one, it was gutless and I decided to go for the Jeep Cherokee instead - which has the same mercedes engine and gearbox in it, is also and auto and cn tow 3500kg. It is very lively to drive and tows very well.

Kallibear

Visit site
We've got one and it's fabulous to tow with. Smooth and powerful. Literally don't even notice the trailer behind you and it gives the horses a really easy journey. Not cheap on diesel though :eek: Two big horses brings to down to about 17mpg at best :(

VERY IMPORTANT: does it have a tow already fitted? If not it will cost you a fortune to have one fitted :eek: If it's been factory made with a towbar than all the suspesions and brakes have been altered to balance for towing.

ROG

Visit site
Rog - looked at the tabs and I see where it says 3500 braked. but only 750kg unbraked.

What does braked and unbraked mean? sorry to be thick!
Unbraked is a trailer with no brakes at all - max permited in law = 750 kgs

All trailers over 750kgs MAM must have brakes by law

Trailers up to 3500 kgs are allowed ot have overrun brakes

Trailers over 3500 kgs must have their own independant braking systems like air brakes for example

IsabelleJ

Visit site
I have an ML270 which I adore! Lovely and comfy to drive day in and day out, and tows fabulously. Everyone who comes with me comments on the smooth ride and how easily it seems to tow. Compared to other cars I've towed with, I don't really feel as if I have anything on the back.

Just use the automatic gearbox - when it comes to servicing, mention that you have been using it to tow as my Mercedes guru said that it may need the gearbox fluid replacing more often if used for towing.

Love my beast :)

Isabelle

myhorsefred

Visit site
Thanks again for your replies.

Getting very excited about tomorrow now. Need to buy a trailer now! Have borrowed a friends previously, but might look into getting my own now.
x

NicolaC

Visit site
We have a ML420 and it is brilliant. We love it. Ours didn't have a tow bar on but we bought one and fittd it ourselves. Cost about £500. x