Another bit question - a 'halfway' house needed for strong horse

SueAllen

Visit site
Neddy been going nicely on flat and hacking in Dr Bristol. When hunting needs a gag. Showjumping is a new one for us and the Dr B is not quite enough to stop him storming into jumps. Will be doing some schooling (exercises thanks to H&H forum mebers!) to help get over this but I think a slightly stronger bit than the Dr B might help when in the ring. He wants to throw his head up and rush so has anyone got any ideas???? Please and thankies.

katiejaye

Visit site
I find a waterford very useful. My boy runs into jumps too and I was finding that any bits that were too strong were upsetting him and interfering with his rythm. I now use a loose ring waterford and it just stops him from being able to grab the bit and go and he seems quite happy in it.

SueAllen

Visit site
TBH I am trying to avoid the gag in an sj situation as it tends to upset him a bit - if he throws his head about out hunting its not so critical as when he is approaching a jump. Would like to ditch the gag for hunting too really as I only really use it because it is the bit he came to me in and not sure what else to use to stop him. We're doing a lot of flatwork in the Dr Bristol which is suiting him so well I would really like to keep it simple for him. Somebody suggested a hanging cheek snaffle for the added poll pressure. Any thoughts?

mrdarcy

www.rockcrunchers.co.uk
Not sure a hanging cheek would give you much more control as the poll pressure is minimal. I'd recommend the Myler Combination - fantastic bit, which rewards the horse for giving and softening but has stopping power if you need it.

Nari

Visit site
If you can cope with two reins then I'd try a pelham, if not then I'd second gedenskis_girl's idea of a Myler combination.

SueAllen

Visit site
Mmmmm - i've looked at the Myler combination..it looks really tempting..but the price doesn't!! I'm sort of asking myself if I ought to learn to be a better rider before I start trying different bits but then the two can go together can't they? I tried him in a Happy Mouth pelham with roundings once and he didn't like it at all. Would the two reins make a huge difference? Ihave no real experience with two. Myler have a bit bank don't they? Perhaps I should try one - I really do like the sound of them. Umming and ahhhing tonight - not feeling very decisive - Sorry!
crazy.gif

Nari

Visit site
I find the two reins make a massive difference SueAllen. My horse hates a pelham fitted with roundings - drops the contact, overbends, plunges & opens his mouth - but put two reins on the same bit & he's wonderful in it. In fact if I'm teaching a new school movement & he's stressy I put the pelham in as he relaxes more than in his snaffle! With two reins I only use the curb when it's needed whereas with one it's in constant use & he finds that unacceptable. If he's getting too onward bound & strong he will accept the curb rein & fights it far less than the snaffle so we stay lighter & more balanced
smile.gif

tinatina

Visit site
what about tom thumb u can use it with or without roundings i had problems jumping sec d i rode tom thumb was very good as you still have steering with it hope this helps
smile.gif