ANOTHER bitting thread!

loopiesteff

Visit site
I apologise now! But yes, it's another bitting thread, and no, I'm not that knowledgable on bits! I'm going by what my instructor has recently suggested...

Up until last week, I ride Bob in the following:

Dressage: in a french link full cheek snaffle, with normal noseband and flash.
SJ and XC: same bit, but on a mexican grackle bridle.

He's recently been hanging more and more on the bit in the flatwork, so decided to try a loose ring with lozenge (with same bridle). He is a lot softer in this, and seems a lot happier working in it, but I'm still not 100% convinced it's the best possible bit for him - and if I'm honest, I'm not even sure why I'm not sure?!

Was contemplating trying one like this: http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=958&xSec=43 with the lozenge with rollery bit in the middle (sorry, technical terms here! Can't seem to find the exact one anywhere!)

How does that compare to what he's in currently? (the loose ring with lozenge)

For his SJ and XC, the more he's doing, the stronger he is becoming - not so strong that I have no control, but stronger than I would like. We've been talking about waterfords as an option, and a friend of mine suggested a cherry roller loose ring? What are the differences between both, and which would you suggest trying first?

Many thanks!

spacefaer

Visit site
It's so hard to advise on bits without knowing so much more about the horse (and the horse/rider combination) how old is he, what level of schooling? What's his mouth conformation like? How good are your hands?

If he's getting stronger in the hand on the flat, then he needs to be lighter in the forehand through transitions and work to engage his hindquarters, rather than backing off the bit.

If you are finding him keen jumping, (then again, it comes back to better balance on the flat) but it wouldn't hurt to try a Waterford mouthpiece, either with a loose ring that he's used to, or with cheek pieces which will keep it stiller inhis mouth.

Depending on his mouth conformation, a cherry roller can be quite bulky and normally only has one joint, so can be quite severe with the nutcracker action of the single joint. A Waterford mouthpiece conforms to the shape of the horse's mouth, so can be more subtle. Some horses hate the multiple joints* while others relax into it.

Last edited:

loopiesteff

Visit site
It's so hard to advise on bits without knowing so much more about the horse (and the horse/rider combination) how old is he, what level of schooling? What's his mouth conformation like? How good are your hands?

He's BD Elementary, jumping 1m+, got a good mouth, he's 17, in decent work 6 days a week now. Has previously evented to Novice and the previous owners used to jump him in a gag.

If he's getting stronger in the hand on the flat, then he needs to be lighter in the forehand through transitions and work to engage his hindquarters, rather than backing off the bit.

Since I've been trying the new bit for flat work, he's been a lot lighter, and his general work is a lot better. A lot softer, rounder, pushing from behind more etc.

If you are finding him keen jumping, (then again, it comes back to better balance on the flat) but it wouldn't hurt to try a Waterford mouthpiece, either with a loose ring that he's used to, or with cheek pieces which will keep it stiller in his mouth.

I think that's what I'll try, a loose ring waterford and see how we go.

Thanks for your help, I know how hard it is to advise when you can't see the horse!

Lolo

Visit site
I used a copper roller snaffle on my old horse who was similar. It wasn't strong but was just a bit more than a plain snaffle. We used a Cheltenham for a while too but I preferred the copper roller.

loopiesteff

Visit site
For anyone who cares, I had a brain wave on Wednesday and thought, before trying the Waterford, why not try the loose ring snaffle with lozenge on the jumping bridle?

So did so yesterday, did some arena XC practice, and OMG, amazing. So much softer in the hand, never got strong with me, kept the rhythm all the time. Very impressed. Will try it at the hunter trial at Ely on Sunday and see what it's like XC!