Another "eventing cob" question.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Following on from the other thread and a real life situation, for those who event "cob types" with more traditional neck sets and movement and with buzzy temperaments, what bitting arrangements have you found successful? Horse in question can be very strong xc but quite difficult as can fold its neck up when the rider comes on with the hand but will also stand on the hand when it's tired or bowling along. One bit isn't going to address both issues but rider would be more likely to let the horse move on, thereby lessening the tension, if the brakes were a bit more effective. Currently in a Dutch gag (I know, not a gag) which, despite the fact that I'm not a fan, has been the most successful option thus far.

Obviously schooling is part of the equation but the horse has been ridden like this for some time in a previous home and tends to light up in the great wide open in a way that's not always reproducible at home and doesn't show up out hacking.

Just curious to know what others have used successfully with similar horses.

FlyingCoo

Visit site
I tried various bits from waterfords, tom thumb & pelhams, and now have found that the Neue Schule Tranz Angled Universal is the winner by miles and wished I had found it sooner!!

kit279

Visit site
Maybe a Cheltenham gag - I've used one successfully on a very strong horse who had a very nice mouth in all circumstances except hunting and he was the most polite in that without a lot of curling up or head chucking.

ihatework

Visit site
My little chap wasn't a problem in the XC,

But hunting , once he knew the game, was seriously problematic.
Didn't go enough to solve it but the next on my list was a cheltenham, combined with grackle and potentially with a waterford mouthpiece.

BeckyD

Visit site
After a lot of trial and error (and a lot of help from both bit hire places, plus Neue Schule and on here, and a lesson with someone new who made the suggestion), I have finally settled on a low ported Myler with hooks. I use that with a grackle and I have a feeling I shouldn't, but he's a b*gger for crossing his jaw when he wants to bear down on your hands, even in this bit.

He's lighter weight than a traditional cob, but still quite a thug in personality and will take advantage. He panicked and ran through the Universal, a waterford was great the first few times then he leant on it and pulled my arms out, Tom Thumb he leant on or went hoppy up and down with his ears up my nose, running gag he leant on very badly, jointed pelham was OK the first time but then he got very angry and puts ears up my nose again, nathe dutch gag is great for SJ but no good for XC as he does like to take a firm hold but gets angry doing it with that one (ears up nose).

The Myler sometimes winds him up but generally I have enough brakes that I feel comfortable galloping as I know a small tweak and he will come back to me, but he is also happy to take the contact and go into it. Also schools beautifully in it.

Worth a try I think for anything with a heavy neck and a tendency to bear down on the hand.

TarrSteps

Visit site
Thanks for the idea, guys! Kimberwick and Pelham have already been tried but the horse jams up behind them. I have suggested trying with a leather or elastic curb though. I have a Myler similar to the one you describe, Becky, and would be interested to try it, I just need to reclaim it. My gut says a Universal might be the way forward - will add that to the rental list.

Any further thoughts greatly appreciated.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
What sort of pelham did you try? I hunted my last horse (ISH not cob, but with the exact same behaviour you described in your OP) in a single jointed pelham with 2 reins. Not ideal and certainly not "correct" but it seemed to do the job. He wouldn't accept a straight bar. I also used a leather curb strap (a flash strap lol) with a waterford dutch gag, and did try that with 2 reins a couple of times too. All with a cavesson and flash - again prob not very correct but did the job.

fairhill

Visit site
Thanks for the idea, guys! Kimberwick and Pelham have already been tried but the horse jams up behind them. I have suggested trying with a leather or elastic curb though. I have a Myler similar to the one you describe, Becky, and would be interested to try it, I just need to reclaim it. My gut says a Universal might be the way forward - will add that to the rental list.

Mine used to curl up with Pelhams too. I was going to suggest a Waterford mouthpiece but a few others have beaten me to it :)

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
On a heavy native (14hh full up Fell pony) who went in a way rather similar to how you describe, I found the happy mouth american gag suited best (after shed loads of trialling as I usually resort to Kimblewicks/Pelhams 1st & then Waterfords etc).

Meant daughter could have control x/c & also drag hunting - pony was a different soul in it, but we did just keep it back for 'busy' activities. (a double also worked well, but this was kept in the 'armoury' for WHP classes)

CambridgeParamour

Visit site
Mine is in a 3 ring dutch-gag with double reins, on the snaffle and bottom rings. This seems the best set up so far.

Tried both a kimblewick and a pelham before this, and she really didnt like them.

Lolo

Visit site
Cheltenham gag- one rein for stopping, one rein for going! What worked best On Al's old coblet who had to be ridiculously fit to cope with the work level, but was completely high off that level of fitness.

dafthoss

Visit site
Mines not a cob but native with a fairly thick neck. Started in a dutch gag with 2 reins and a cavesson noseband when he was prone to rushing but he wasn't ever that happy with the action of it. Then moved to a scrob board snaffle and a grakle when he got a bit full of him self and thought he knew every thing, now in a full cheek with a copper roller with the grackle. He swaps from strong to over sensitive very quickly and his evasion of choice was to set his jaw and neck and go in the direction and speed he wanted. Found the grackle really helped with this as it helped stop him setting his neck which then meant I could keep him happier in his mouth.

Morganlafaye

Visit site

Personally, I'd try the Universal. I'm an NS convert. I have an event cob - previous owner used an American gag on him all the time as she found him strong. He wasn't keen on it - he was always hollow and was nervous of the contact. I moved him to a Universal and then to an NS snaffle. He can be strong in company and can tank with his head on the floor in a snaffle, but he's normally ok in the Universal. They both have the same losenge mouthpiece.

Last edited:

paddi22

Visit site
i second the ns trans universal. i have one with a leather curb. absolutely love it, and it works great on my tank. he takes the contact and he stretches really well over jumps, doesn't seem to affect his jumping (unlike some other bits)

Badders

Visit site
We tried all of the above with our thug and without a doubt, the Universal was the most successful. A kineton noseband worked for a while, and we thought that a waterford would be the answer but it wasn't at all. Eventually we stayed with the same ns lozenge mouthpiece and varied the sides according to the discipline and his moods! Always the universal for jumping though, & for that little bit of extra help cross country, the leather curb worked wonders...

vic07

Visit site
Tom Thumb with double reins- mine isn't a cob, but he likes to shorten his neck, tuck his chin to his chest and go at warp speed. Has a tendency to lean when tired!

I use this for show jumping- http://www.horsebitbank.com/-loose-ring-snaffle-reversible-132.phtml

Gag didn't work, universal gag didn't work. Tried rubber snaffle which did help, myler was helpful with a drop - but both not enough. Rubber snaffle was to help prevent him tucking up on me! Rubber snaffle 3 ring though was worse than useless! Was thinking of trying a Waterford, but he gets a sore mouth easily..... Also tried these- http://www.horsehealth.co.uk/equipment/gel/gel-accessories/gel-bit-guards which were marginally helpful.

georgiegirl

Visit site
Another vote for trying the universal. It gives you enough to say 'oi' with but not so strong that they back off it completely. I like control xc but I also like being able to feel like Im getting taken into a fence!

Snapdb

Visit site
Another vote for the cheltenham gag. I showjumped her in a KK pelham as the gag was a little too much as we needed all the help we could get to make the striding comfortable for her choppy canter!