Another eye infection 3rd one this year

Field04

Visit site
My horse has another eye infection, its the third one this year and the 5th since I have owned her (2 years).

I think this may be the reason she spooked so badly the other day at a dog, which resulted in me being left on the floor and her galloping home 2kms. She has been getting more and more jumpy and spooking more. When I say spooking she has always jumped a little to the side but recently she has turned 180 and tried to gallop off. Until the other day I have managed to sit it out, but I am just worried it may be her eyesight. Isn't it excessive to have this many eye infections. Today her left eye is less swollen but with a white film across it. I have antibiotics to treat her with, but wonder if we should investigate more in depth.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Have you had the vet see her for any of these infections?

You don't mess about with eyes, and I wouldn't be self medicating personally. My friend's horse lost an eye this year and that started off as repeat infections. Yours may be nothing, but get it checked to be safe!!

Field04

Visit site
Have you had the vet see her for any of these infections?

You don't mess about with eyes, and I wouldn't be self medicating personally. My friend's horse lost an eye this year and that started off as repeat infections. Yours may be nothing, but get it checked to be safe!!

Yes he was out just last month and left the extra antibiotics for me. I am going to phone them to see about investigating further as it doesn't seem right to me. This is the only one I haven't called the vet straight out for, but thats because he left me the antibiotics.

I have just let her up from the day field to her night paddock, where I lead her over to her water trough and she started drinking and then just charged off, like she had seen something spook her. There was nothing there. I am extremely worried that it is something very serious and she may loose her sight.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Fair enough, yes I would ring them again. You'd think there must be a cause for it all.

Ps,my friend's horse that lost her eye is doing really really well with one eye and seems to have adjusted fantastically..

Another ps, my mare has been more spooky this year, and it turns out she is starting with cataracts.

Field04

Visit site
Fair enough, yes I would ring them again. You'd think there must be a cause for it all.

Ps,my friend's horse that lost her eye is doing really really well with one eye and seems to have adjusted fantastically..

Another ps, my mare has been more spooky this year, and it turns out she is starting with cataracts.

I was thinking moon blindness or cataracts.

ChesnutsRoasting

Visit site
My horse has another eye infection, its the third one this year and the 5th since I have owned her (2 years).

I think this may be the reason she spooked so badly the other day at a dog, which resulted in me being left on the floor and her galloping home 2kms. She has been getting more and more jumpy and spooking more. When I say spooking she has always jumped a little to the side but recently she has turned 180 and tried to gallop off. Until the other day I have managed to sit it out, but I am just worried it may be her eyesight. Isn't it excessive to have this many eye infections. Today her left eye is less swollen but with a white film across it. I have antibiotics to treat her with, but wonder if we should investigate more in depth.
Definitely vets for eye problems.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

Sorry alarm bells ringing, get the vet out again to check or a different on you need to asap this sounds like Uveitis ( periodic opthalmia/moonblindness )or Reoccurring ulcers which in Uveitis you need vet medication to dilate the pupil to reduce the damage.

check the info out the longer you leave it the worst the result and if it is confirmed sorry to say if you do not nip it in the bud on the first warning signs the end result is blindness and or eye removal in some case. My late mare always started shaking her head at the beginning of an attack and vet left me optrivine to get in it asap and I manage to catch it each time, also kept a diary of the weather/wind/ brightness etc to try and see what the trigger is. I hope it is not one of the above but having had two horses with it and one ended up being 90% blind I know the stress it causes. Insist the vets check for one of the above do not get fobbed off, my ex vet did two years running for laminitis fob it off as her breathing, I have now lost my mare of a lifetime

check this out >>> http://www.horsemask.com/uveitis.html

Also here is a quote from the web
In cases of uveitis there will be a blue or white cloudiness

In the meantime till vet comes leave a fly hood on 24 7 to save brightness and grit and flies irritating it.

Last edited: