Another fatty Welsh diet plan thread

muff747

Visit site
I've taken on a rescued Sect C at 13hh and with a big (floppy) crest and pot belly. He's early twenties, more than likely Cushings and had lami way back in the past but non to be seen now according to the farrier.
The rescue centre kept him in most of the winter on limited rations and only ridden by volunteers once a week. I was very surprised he didn't get lami on that regime!
So when I got him to my place with our own paddock of approx. 1.5 acres of poor grazing, I turned him out to get exercise and burn off some fat but with a muzzle on whenever in the field.
He's been coming in for a few hours to rest from the muzzle and had a small handful (dry) of soaked Ready Fibre Mash with added Metabalance and small handful of Readgrass Gold and about half a flap of soaked hay, or none if only in for an hour or so.
Had to keep him in for a few days in between because he grazed his nose and make it bleed so had to wait for it to heal and then he had three flaps of soaked hay double netted for during the day and overnight split up over the day.
I weighed taped him about 10 days ago and he was 329 kilos but when I weighed him yesterday he'd gone up to 340 kilos!!!
Should I not feed him anything when he comes in except his supplements or is he getting too much grass even when he's muzzled?
I got him for my grandkids to ride when they come to mine which is only on the lead rein and twice a week learning to ride and my daughter has ridden him once for 1.5 hours. He's too small for me to ride.
Any suggestions would be welcome please

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I'd think he is probably still getting too much grass for his exercise levels tbh.

First thought options, track your grazing so he has to move more.
lunge/long rein him?

muff747

Visit site
Ok thanks. I really thought (probably naively) the muzzle would be enough!
I haven't tried lunging yet, not sure if he does but I will try and we are about to section off the paddock to weed killer it but will try the track option once that's done and we don't need the fencing anymore.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
track round ours was a god send when frank was lame and only being walked out a couple of springs ago, they definitely do more and can combine it with some muzzling if necessary. Good luck with the lunge trial :)

STRIKER

Visit site
are you sure you put the weigh tape in exactly the same place as the time before, also put it on the girth behind elbows and back of withers not on withers to get weight.

muff747

Visit site
Yes sure because I was shocked and disappointed that it had gone up when I thought I was being very careful so I made sure it was round the narrowest part where the girth goes :(