Another FB video for debate..

LHIS

Visit site
I find it bizarre. You'd think people who's horses are their livelihood should know better. Or perhaps I'm crediting them with too much intelligence (disclaimer - I'm sure there are some very good dealers out there! I just don't think these guys are one).

Sealine

Visit site
That horse is a saint.

This reminded me of the owner of a BHS riding school demonstrating to me how to frog leap onto a horse from behind. She did it without the aid of a bucket, she just took a run up. I was very impressed at the time particularly as the owner must have been in her 60s!

As I child I used to frog leap off after riding the horses to the field bareback (headcollar and ropes, no hat!). I would turn around facing the tail and then frog leap off. My excuse is I was young and stupid and it was the 70s with no concept of safety. I am now older and wiser.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
Hell - there's far more on FB worth debating. Quiet pony, not hurt or upset, obviously not a kicker - what's the problem??

the issue for me is that mounting from the ground puts too much strain on a horses back, so basically leap frogging and smacking down on a horses back isn't going to do it any good is it!

SecretAgentBilly

Visit site
The dealer is from around my area, haven't heard many good reports! Have to say though the horse doesn't look bothered at all, how're certainly not what I'd do and I'm not sure it displays the correct level of professionalism for running a business. But then, each to their own!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
We used to do that all the time as kids, albeit just from running and jumping on, and loose in the field lol.

Horse doesn't look that happy, and she might be a bit big to do that to that pony, but can't say I've not done similar!

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Not great but not worrying/welfare issue. (Although it's back doesn't look great!)

BUT, terribly unprofessional in all senses. Would sure put me off ever doing business with them!

Last edited:

twiggy2

Visit site
well I spent many years hopping on and off in all sorts of manner, she jumps up onto the ponies bottom not his back so probably better than mounting from the side using a stirrup.
My kids used to run up and jump on the pony whilst she was grazing i the field, I did yell at them but that was more because the were in their pyjamas, no shoes (let alone boots), not hat and no head collar on the pony-the pony just carried on grazing and if she had ever had enough she used to just move as they ran up!
I would not do what they are doing in the video but I really don't see any harm i it

pennyturner

Visit site
A pony that will stand quietly for this will also stand quietly when a car squeaks past him, or a dog runs out behind him, or a child passes on a scooter...
I'd rather have a kids pony that's up to this kind of thing, than some professionally produced wonder-pony that's scared of its own shadow.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's not standing happily tho is it. You can tell from its posture and ear position that it's long suffering rather than not bothered.

Yes we've probably all done something along those lines as kids but it's not professional to use on a dealers page and that's it really.

A pro softly vaulting onto a trained fit muscled horse, isn't really comparable to that little scruff having a sack of tatties scrambling about on its back.