Another flipping flipping loose dog at Burghley...

kerilli

Visit site
chasing one of our very own HHOers, too. Fortunately she and the horse coped magnificently and didn't lose their focus at all, it chased them for 3 or 4 fences.
Jeeeeez, honestly, is someone or is a horse going to have to get ****ing killed when being chased by a loose dog before someone in authority starts taking this seriously?
I think they need to impose a major fine on anyone who lets a dog loose (there was another one in the background loose on one of the earlier vids too, luckily it stayed outside the ropes) and a HUGE fine of, say, a thousand pounds, if someone's loose dog chases a competitor. I'm sick of seeing this, it happens every year.
Utter morons who can't keep hold of the end of a lead. Jeeez.
Sorry, rant over. As you were. Choc chip cookies to anyone who agrees with me! ;) ;)

Shipley

Visit site
agree It really annoys me, which video was it in ?? as I was thinking that I had not seen any this year! I have always managed to keep my dog on a lead

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
They get really arsey if you suggest that they put their damned dogs on leads. We were up at 11 and there was a couple playing with their dog, throwing the dog toy between them and it was running loose to catch it within around 30 feet of the course. There were various other people who seem to feel that their dog is so well trained that it doesn't need to be on a lead maybe so but that then encourages others whose dogs are not so well behaved.

Seth

Visit site
I agree - totally inexcusable! Don't bloody take them if they yap at horses either!

Who was the rider it chased?

diggerbez

Visit site
not seen this particular incident but do agree that its ridiculous that this seems to happen all of the time :mad: my dogs are very naughty (i know they 'look' angelic...but they aren't :rolleyes:) and would leg it if i let go of the lead...so i keep hold of it...not difficult really :confused:

teapot

Visit site
Annoys the hell out of me too.

That said, dogs in general at events as big as Badminton or Burghley really annoy me. They're TOO busy and crowded for being safe for dogs. Being constantly tripped up/caught up by leads and trying to avoid paws does my nut in.

ElleJS

Visit site
Totally agree, it is totally irresponsible of people to take b****y dogs they can't control! Agree with the fine, to ban dogs will stop a lot of people going but perhaps a fine will make people more careful.

kerilli

Visit site
I agree - totally inexcusable! Don't bloody take them if they yap at horses either!

Who was the rider it chased?

It was a black dog chasing Hannah Kirkhill, around fences 12-13-14, then a spectator tried to intercept it but it dodged his feet.
Makes me LIVID.
There was what looked like a golden retriever playing loose to the side of the track in one of the earlier vids, I saw it clearly and thought "hope they put that ****ing thing on a lead."
Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, I have 5... that I wouldn't take to Burghley if you paid me to! ;) ;)

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Totally agree. But they probably wont do anything about it until someone gets injured.
There was a horse at our yard with a tendon injury, was being lead around the outdoor when one of the liveries dogs came running at it and went for its legs. Horse went mental and owner had to let go of the horse. Dog chased it round and round the arena for ages, the owner was ready to kill the dog literally screaming and trying to kick it :S was all very dramatic, horse ended up with extra box rest and a large argument between said liveries!! Not the same thing but sure :eek:

MandyMoo

Visit site
i saw that lose dog today - REALLY makes me angry :mad: :mad: stupid idiot people who can't keep a hold of their ****ing dogs!!!

i agree a seriously big fine should be introduced, and an even bigger one if it chaces a competitor. its so damn dangerous!!! thank god the competitior today didn't lose their focus!!

urgh :mad: angry!!

MissySmythe

Visit site
So unbelievabl selfish! I wouldn't dare let my dog off the lead at an event. He's a star but gets excited in company like most 'hunters'. I hate to say it but surely these people who do this are not horse people?

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Does this always seem to happen at Burghley? I seem to remember it happened last year, but I'm not sure I've ever seen one at Bramham (my local and most frequented event) although that might be because its not as televised?

I was there with my friend and her dog today, and we did let her off the lead (dog, not my friend :D ), but after the xc had finished, miles away in the car park with no-one else around, and within about 100m of the car - no chance that she could get up to anything. Ok I know thats not the perfect answer, but its an honest one :)

Mogg

Visit site
My sister and her family have gone to Burghley and left their dog (Perfect Poppy) with me for the weekend as she just didnt want to take the risk of Pops escaping and how she'd cope with the crowds (she's only 5 1/2 months)

Trouble is i don't want to give her back, shes such a sweetie and gets on great with my dog :p

tractor

Visit site
What winds me up about this is that it will be the actions of the minority that ruin it for the majority - as usual.

We take our two labs to Badminton & Burghley pretty much every year. OH and I share dog walking, and one of us waits outside out of the way whilst the other goes into busy areas/marquees.

Today, our two were on their leads all day - even when we had a picnic by the car.

As others have said, it really isn't rocket science to keep hold of a lead - surely they would manage it if they were walking down the M25??

I'm all for fines - for letting your dog loose in a dangerous area (ie on/near course) AND for letting it poo everywhere. Stops the troublemakers but lets all the responsible people keep enjoying the event with their dogs.

Rant over :)

lizzie_liz

Visit site
Sadly I do think it is going to take a serious accident for something to be done about it. We never take our dogs to big horse events, our old dog (sadly no longer with us) detested being on a lead and hated crowds and our current dog yaps as horses go by. Ours remain at home and are perfectly happy to spend all day alone in the kitchen.

Firewell

Visit site
It is awful!! So dangerous!! I can't abide people who have dogs they can't control around horses.
We have about 8/9 dogs at our livery yard and when they are all there at once running around, barking and causing havoc it really pees me off. They will cause an accident one day. They run all round my horses feet, destroy stuff, **** everywhere. They pop out ofthe hedge when your trying to school/jump and race around giving me ( and my horse) a heart attack.
If I had a yard I would limit the amount of dogs off the lead at once. We have more bloody dogs than horses.
If they irritate me like they do when I'm just schooling or trying to groom my horse in peace I can't imagine how awful it would be to be chased while trying to complete a course like Burgley or Badminton. Crikey it's awful. Well done to the rider for managing to stay focused, an extra challenge she would not have needed!

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
My farrier has a beagle which runs round with a lead attached (so he can catch her as she flies past, she's a loony) and I was a little worried when the lead was wrapped around my horses legs the other week, when he had one foot up on the stand to be rasped. Luckily my horse is such a dude, I'm not sure he noticed, let alone cared!

My friends dog we took today, although a bit rubbish on the lead, doesn't make noise and isn't fussed about horses, and needs tiring out so shows are great for her :)

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Urgh, WHY?! If you are stupid enough to not have your dog on a lead/not hold onto the lead around the XC then you shouldn't be there... if the dog is strong enough/so inclined to rip the lead off you and chase after a horse then it shouldn't be there.

I took Tink to Burghley today, she yapped twice at the beginning :eek: and then was content to just sit and watch. We went around the tradestands at 8.30 am when it was still dead and didn't go back when it was busy, except to walk through to get elsewhere. I don't agree with banning dogs from the big events, the majority are well behaved, Tink and I had a great day out, she is now flat out on the rug after a day of recieving compliments and cuddles from randomers. :)

Agree with the fine idea, I hope something is done before the worst happens. :(

wellsat

Visit site
Not only is it stupid to take your dog and not hold on to it but I lost count of the number of JRTs and similar small dogs that I nearly trod in in the crowds. Surely its not a pleasant day for your dog if people tread on their paws and fall over their leads.

Orangehorse

Visit site
My own dog frightened my horse (husband had let it run down the field without realising that I was schooling horse at the bottom.) He bucked, I went into orbit and then the dog proceeded to chase my horse round and round. I think I would have killed him if I had caught him at first as I had visions on my horse galloping into a fence, over the hedge into the road, etc. etc. In the end I managed to rugby tackle the dog and the horse was puffed by then so stopped. And I didn't kill him or OH! I was seriously shaken though and thanked the stars that I had bothered to shut the gate to the field when I went in it, something I have since remembered whenever galloping a horse in a field.

So it is quite likely that a loose dog could seriously frighten a horse at an event and cause an awful accident. Since most people manage to keep their dogs on a lead I think a hefty fine for a loose dog would be a very good idea.

loopyloop

Visit site
We were there and actually saw the woman reclaim her dog!

She laughed and made a joke out of it to her friend!! If that was me I wouldn't have been able to reclaim my dog and I'd have been leaving pretty damn quick!!

MerryMAL

Visit site
100% agree, on the fine idea as well. I think it is non-horsey spouses, friends and children of spectators who let dogs off the lead - either that or very stupid and not-thinking-of-others (correct word has vanished from my brain) horsey people.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site

She laughed and made a joke out of it to her friend!! If that was me I wouldn't have been able to reclaim my dog and I'd have been leaving pretty damn quick!!

If it had been me I wouldn't have collected the dog at all! I would have been so ashamed and embarassed :eek:

suzysparkle

Visit site
Just terrible. One year when I was jump judging at Burgie I gave someone a real mouthfull for letting her 2 dogs off the lead. She thought it was ok because they were running to meet another family member and couldn't understand my annoyance. I was at the big Trakehner and the last thing any rider would want is a dog running in front of that!
I remember that same year another loose dog and it did chase a Horse. Commentator insisted on a £50 donation to an equine charity of the owners choice. Maybe imposing something like that (allbeit a larger amount) would be an idea? And make it the injured riders fund maybe????
I took our Collie to Blair one year and he was on one of my walking belts that I use for the huskies. Meant I could be 'hands free' and no chance of escape. He was a pain for the trade stands so never again - though he did have a fun day!

kerilli

Visit site

I wish I'd been there, I'd have given her the biggest mouthful she'd ever heard.
Laughing? Jeez, just how DUMB are some people? *shakes head in utter disbelief*

I hope she hears about this thread.

In fact, I hope H&H notice it. Loopyloop, please can I use your words in a letter to H&H for the letters page...?

Luci07

Visit site
Ouch, have to agree with the sentiments - a dog geniunely getting away is understandable but I find it unbelievable that people actually let their dogs off the lead. I might be making a bit of a sweeping statement here but by and large, most "equine" dogs have learnt to stay well clear of horses and not to chase. Younger staffie, courtesey of a lucky strike with a dandy brush when he first tried to dart at my horse - now won't actually go into the barn at all if Goose is tied outside his box!

I am going to Burghley tomorrow with both of mine and my friend is taking hers. The idea is to have an amble to see the XC fences close up and then we will take it in turns to shop. This has worked well before. I wouldn't take them on XC day (and don't do so at Badminton anymore either) as the crowds are now so heavy that it is simply no longer a pleasure to try to navigate with dogs around.

One advantage of have staffies, people do tend to retrieve their dogs when we come along!

Hels_Bells

Visit site
Did anyone else watching that round feel the need to pop a cap in that dawgs ass!!!!??!? :D I certainly did. OR maybe the owners'!!

And what a fence for it to happen at!! She handled it beautifully! Plus it was a lovely round to watch, her horse seems lovely and very honest. Well done to them both for not letting it phase them!

loopyloop

Visit site
Kerelli- Course you can, if I remember rightly she was joking about how Betty (the dog) had upstaged another dog!!! She was smiling when she caught her and laughing when she said it!!!

loopyloop

Visit site
Pleasure!

I just can't understand some people! I'd have been mortified, we took our dog, she was an absolute saint! Although it was rather embarassing when she started barking at one of the model people or maybe the man on the crutches (not to sure!) thankfully there wasn't a horse in sight!!!

I also saw a lot of people with dogs that were clearly not very friendly, why on earth would you take them to such a crowded area and spend all day telling them off?? One gentleman said, after his dog went for ours, if he does it again, I'm putting him in the car!! WHY!!!!!