Another Foal..... More Opinions!

Always-Riding

Visit site
Thank-you to those who commented on my last post with the palomino filly. I've weighed up the pros and cons and ideally I would need to go see her but due to my working pattern, it doesn't look likely for a couple of weeks when I can book time off..

I came across this little colt on a walk and tracked down the owner who would sell him. He's out of Multicolor GF (ZFDP) but a coloured cobby type mare. First photo is a couple of weeks ago during the heatwave we had.

14738642-b1e0-4e2c-ba95-d06526c6e202_zps4211f04f.jpg

2013-08-08134231-1_zpsf7c98191.jpg

2013-08-08140511-1_zps5262eb9d.jpg

So, is there anything sticking out to you, good or bad?

twiggy2

Visit site
with the mare being 15.1hh and the stallion being 16hh the foal is unlikely to make the 16.2hh you want.

also to my eye the stallion has a massive shoulder and a weak back end (not ideal). on the stallions write up it says, up till 2009 he was following an eventing career, it mentions no success at that career and nothing else he has done or been successful in. i would keep looking

Adopter

Visit site
What a lovely looking foal, nice markings as well.

He looks big by his Mum, so there is a good chance he will be at least as big as her if not bigger. My two have grown 4inches between 1and 2 years and are still growing.

*sprinkles*

Visit site
What would your plan for the future be for this foal OP? I think at lot of the to-buy-or-not-to-buy question depends on that. You'll need a very different horse for say, hacking compared to, for example three day eventing. :smile4:

RealityCheck

Visit site
Don't like the stallion, like the foal even less.

One has to question why a warmblood touted as being well regarded in germany, and having a reasonable performance record has such a low stud fee? Reasoning: no one seems to know what he is (some advertise him as a Danish warmblood, a sports horse, zfpd etc), half the foals seem to have problems with registration and getting their papers in order, and his so called performance record can be described as poor at best (http://www.britisheventing.com/asp-net/Events/Results.aspx?HorseId=78804).

So lets face it, using that on an average, unproven mare, is never going to provide an amazing foal. Photos are unclear, but I would not trust the legs on it, dislike the head too.

Crugeran Celt

Visit site
Pretty foal but it depends on what you want it for. If you have a set target in mind wouldn't you be better off looking for a foal that has been bred for the job you need it to do, bred from proven parentage. I don't know the stallion and to be honest don't have much of a clue about breeding as my horses are purely for happy hacking and the enjoyment of owning horses.

Hot_Toddy7

Visit site
IMHO Stallion looks better built for Dressage. Sires full brother (Multicolor II GF), looks to have done well in foal gradings, and competing at Elementary BD, with a fairly good record. Guess it depends what you want him for.

Alexart

Visit site
I preferred the palomino too - this one just says ordinary to me and the sire isn't great, and coloured cob dam - well there are good and bad cobs and most are not breeding quality imo, so unless the mare is outstanding then I doubt the foal is going to be either. If the stallion wasn't coloured I doubt he'd have his nuts, and really doesn't scream breeding quality to me at all, especially with there being so much top notch choice available now at reasonable prices. Wasn't someone else looking at buying a foal by the same sire yesterday with a blue eye? - also not a great example either.

Always-Riding

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.. I do really appreciate it :)

I have decided I will take the risk and buy the pally without seeing her as her price is right for the market and plus I've always wanted a pally!!

Spring Feather

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.. I do really appreciate it :)

I have decided I will take the risk and buy the pally without seeing her as her price is right for the market and plus I've always wanted a pally!!

That's what I'd do :smile3: I'm not keen on the youngster above but I liked the palomino. Let us know how you get on!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
ooo, exciting - I liked that pally, it was nicely built and its face had something about it. This one, not so much.