Another foreign rescue infected with Brucella canis

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am very against foreign dogs being bought over here mainly because of the disease element..i am another who tried to get a rescue dog but was not successful, i gave up and bought a crossbreed puppy. i see a few of these foreign dogs and the people tell me straight away that they are rescues like its a badge of honour and they look down on anyone who doesnt rescue...many of them are very nervous and scared of people which isnt surprising and i agree with a previous poster who think its cruel to subject them to a long journey and then expect them to live in a house. a friend of mine adopted a romanian dog and it was petrified of everything. it was really scared being in the house and only wanted to stay hiding in the garden, it took her months before she allowed my friend to give her a treat and she was really frightened of her husband and never accepted him at all. eventually my friend, an experienced dog owner, felt she didnt have the knowledge to help this dog and she has now gone a dog behaviourist who is going to keep her. my friend has now said she will never adopt again as she feels so useless....

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wouldn’t rehome from abroad and the disease risk is one of the reasons. Another is the fact that almost daily there’s one that’s escaped that then goes missing for weeks. It’s also very difficult to sort the reputable suppliers from the low end dealers.

A relative has taken on a failed 'rescue' from abroad. The woman he was with hadn't a clue. The organisation that brought him from Spain had obviously not done much to find him an appropriate home, or to support the rehomer. I don't think they know where the dog is now. He will be fine, he is living with other dogs and a very experienced owner and seems to have settled well, although he certainly hasn't been allowed off lead, except in a secure space.

DressageCob

Visit site
I looked at getting a foreign rescue before I bought my dog, but then started investigating the disease risk and it just wasn't worth it. I can understand why people get tempted, with sob stories of conditions abroad and photos of the sad dog and stray dogs on the streets. But I'd like it to be banned, or otherwise very heavily regulated. I'm all for supporting rescue centres, investing in making conditions better abroad etc. But we need to protect the canine population here.

I feel the same about all the cropped and docked mastiffs and dobes people import too; in fact, I suspect they get even less testing than the rescue dogs.

skinnydipper

Visit site
When adopting a foreign rescue then screening before adoption should ideally include:

Brucella canis
Leishmania
Babesia
Heartworm
Ehrlichia canis and anaplasma
Hepatozoon canis

Ask for proof of testing - this would be a copy of the lab reports.

Rabies vaccination and preventative treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis) must be given before travel.

The rabies vaccination must be at least 21 days before travel.

Travel from some countries requires a blood test 21 days following the rabies vaccination to check the antibody level and confirm vaccination was successful. You must obtain a copy of the test result.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I was contacted recently by a departmental vet looking for an address so they could do a post-import check on a pup (private sale) and the destination address wasn't legible on the paperwork, naughty naughty. All sorted, thankfully.
Someone also came looking for training a while back, they turned up without the dogs because the two dobes they had imported from Romania had been impounded and quarantined because their paperwork wasn't right. Hard nope.
I remember being at a competition years ago and the whole Russian team was sent home because their rabies documentation was incorrect. I can't understand when the rules are so tight for private/competition dogs but not for rescues. I have to take dogs out of my vehicle and chip them individually and hand passports over to staff either in kiosks or in terminals, how does that work for a van full of nervous rescue dogs with people they may not know? I have been stopped randomly on the way in and out of terminals also so that people could look inside and get barked at, I suppose it is apparent that there are dogs in my vehicle and I always display the PETS tag.
And based on my last experience of travelling abroad back in 2019, I wonder if they are routinely being let out to clean themselves during long ferry journeys because no one came down to a big white van full of dogs on the pet deck the last time I sailed, during the journey.

Clodagh

Visit site
Why would anyone not want to check that their potential new friend had been tested for disease endemic in the country of origin? Disease that would make the dog ill and possibly humans too. Crazy.
Head in sand and saving the little fluffy.
People genuinely interested in foreign dog welfare can support ethical charities that address the issue (humane pts, neutering) in the country of origin. However that isn’t so obvious that you are a good person.
Off to pat my puppy farmer cockerpoos now ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Head in sand and saving the little fluffy.
People genuinely interested in foreign dog welfare can support ethical charities that address the issue (humane pts, neutering) in the country of origin. However that isn’t so obvious that you are a good person.
Off to pat my puppy farmer cockerpoos now ?

exactly this, i would be happy to contribute to humane pts,neutering etc to help the dogs in foreign countries but it seems that the rescues have an unlimited supply of puppies that they are selling so neutering wouldnt be popular with them..

Smitty

Visit site
I expect that there are a lot of well meaning people embracing the 'Adopt Don't Shop' stuff that is going around and maybe not wanting a larger bull type breed typical in the rescues in my area, that go for the rescues from abroad.

I expect they have absolutely no idea of the diseases prevalent abroad and trust the rescues implicitly.

In all fairness, I doubt the majority of these well meaning people would wish to bring a dog into their family that had a limited lifespan.

The problem is that there is not the 'hype' out there with regards the problems and possible diseases.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Why would anyone not want to check that their potential new friend had been tested for disease endemic in the country of origin? Disease that would make the dog ill and possibly humans too. Crazy.

an awful lot of people don't know that there are diseases to be worried about apart from rabies (which is the one I am least worried about). And the charities are not telling them or the charities tell them that the diseases are asymptomatic/easily treated (in the case of leish).

Honestly, I think a big public campaign with lots of close ups of eye worms might help.

Smitty

Visit site
an awful lot of people don't know that there are diseases to be worried about apart from rabies (which is the one I am least worried about). And the charities are not telling them or the charities tell them that the diseases are asymptomatic/easily treated (in the case of leish).

Honestly, I think a big public campaign with lots of close ups of eye worms might help.

What the bl×××××dy hell is an eye worm??

turkana

Visit site
I have a Romanian rescue (I actually feel embarrased when I tell people as I don't want to be lumped in with the people who like to brag about it) she had a similar experience as the poor dog Clodagh's post. She was rehomed but that home didn't work out, so the person advertised her for sale for £500, not sure who they expected to pay £500 for a Romanian stray! Nobody bought her so they approached me when they found out my dog had recently been put down due to cancer.
They were so keen to get rid that the dog was given to me; she is much loved & is a super dog but wouldn't be for everybody as she's a mixure of guarding & hunting breeds. I hope that poor dog is as lucky as mine

rara007

Visit site
It’s a weird industry. And yes I do think the majority are commercial not genuinely working for the welfare of the dogs (which could be much better supported for the population via in situ neutering than importing). Both disease and behaviour wise the vast majority of the adopters seem totally clueless about, or have been totally misled and not through innocence.

skinnydipper

Visit site
Fosterer infected with brucella

"The recent case of human Brucella, if confirmed as the Canis strain, poses many questions which can no longer be ignored. If not Canis or Abortus contracted from the foster dog, it must be considered that it could have been and lessons must be learnt.

The rescue involved messaged adopters after a foster was hospitalised and tested positive for Brucella. A sample is being cultured to confirm the strain but as this rescue brought in several pregnant bitches to foster, including one who aborted and I am led to believe the person who was hospitalised had fostered the dog who miscarried therefore, Canis must be considered."

Read more here:

https://www.facebook.com/barnabyslaw

Last edited: