Another Headshaking One!

Brummyrat

Visit site
Sorry I know its been done to death but i cant find anything exactly the same as my boy. I’ll keep it brief but Sec D 10 yrs old, perfect health and in the 8 years ive had him he has never been a headshaker. Then the farmer next door planted rapeseed and he’s had a miserable two months. All the classic symptoms, however he doesnt rub his nose on the floor because during an attack he cant lower his head at all, even for his tea. Vet recommended anti histamines so he’s been on 30 a day for a month but tonight its worse if anything. However he is fine once out of the stable and he’s able to work in the school as good as before its just when he’s inside.... anyone got any advice until the trigger goes away? Luckily he settles when it gets dark and his haynet is always gone in the morning so i’m well aware he’s not as bad as most!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My horse reacts badly to tree pollen and it makes him breath quite heavy and this year was really bad everything was covered in yellow powder from the trees, someone recommended Cavalesse its mainly used for sweet itch but apparently it can help with allergies and allergic reactions.

You are meant to start it early around March time so its there system before any symptoms, I didn't start mine until mid June as that's when I heard about it, I must say I think my horse is a bit better his breathing is only laboured when he works so energy levels drop but I think he has been a bit more energetic.

Its about £52 but it lasts a long time have a look on line it tells you how to feed it and there are some quite good reviews ?

Lovely jubbly

Visit site
I’ve had years of coping with head shaking I found equine America shaker hard worked for my horse. Spirulina is great and Boswellia…MSM they are all in the supplement mentioned. Cutting out all alpha in feed which is another trigger…keep potassium levels as low as possible feeding salt can help as well. There is a fantastic group on Facebook called Head Shaking UK loads of advice on there.

Brummyrat

Visit site
Thank you Nic, I have ordered the Hilton Herbs HS liquid as Ive used them before when my old horse suffered, this is going back years and he only did it sporadically on frosty mornings, it helped him enormously so Im giving it a go but I'll try the Equine America one if that doesn't help, Ive only got a months worth, good to see that you had a positive result because at the moment Im feeling thoroughly pessimistic about the whole situation. Im on that FB group, if you're still on it I'm the person with the Dun who has posted twice in the last week :(