Another horse - should I?

Hack4fun

Visit site
Anyone else got the itch to expand their herd? I only have three at the moment and I do fancy another one Perhaps I should get my CLydesdale mare covered, or just 'acquire' one and incur the wrath of my spouse. Anyone else struggling with this?

JJS

Visit site
I have the opposite problem. I never wanted to go over two, but ended up with four. Not so bad in the summer, but come winter or unexpected vets bills... 😫

Northern

Visit site
Currently have that itch and casually looking for a second again. My situation was similar to Leo Walker, got a second and the first broke badly and was eventually PTS. Down to one and I find myself browsing ads most days to find a summer project! So I will enable you, do it! :)

Visit site
I wouldn't put your Clydesdale in foal. There is too much risk - even to your average horse the mares have hard foalings and have one of the highest rates of problem births amongst any breed of horse.

Buy/loan/rescue another instead!

meleeka

Visit site
I have the opposite problem. I never wanted to go over two, but ended up with four. Not so bad in the summer, but come winter or unexpected vets bills... 😫

Same here.

I liked having two riders that were total opposites. I had a wizzy one and a plod so could hack whichever depending on what mood I was in. Of course there was always a spare too if one went lame.

starfish8

Visit site
Yes. Because I am seriously considering a second (currently have one tricky creature & lost my lovely sensible boy three months ago) and it'll make it way easier to justify to the husband if I can say everyone else is too. Especially those with 'only' three :)

Asha

Visit site
Yep, felt that way. The feeling just wouldn't go, so I did the only thing I could do and buy another.( well another and a bit, shes in foal :D )

So now have 6 and a bit, I feel soooo much better. that empty stable was mocking me.

catkin

Visit site
I'm the opposite.
We had 3 for many many years. We are now down to two, and it is just so much easier (the little things like carrying 2 buckets 1 in each hand, 2 wet rugs drying etc etc etc). Also the jobs don't take so long so more time just to hang out and enjoy the ponies we do have.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I have 5 and a messed up knee at the min. But have spotted what looks like a lovely confidence giving mare just up the road......I promised myself no more horses than stables (I have 5 1/2 stables) and can't even ride for possibly another 3/4 months......

Doubt she'll still be for sale in the spring but kinda hoping she is 😏

Antw23uk

Visit site
DEAR GOD NO!!! I do look at horses for sale all the time and occasional enquire on a price of a nice minimally handled and definitely not backed youngster BUT two is more than enough with my measly three acres, determination to never stable and working full time. I cant do two justice let alone a third!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I'm the opposite.
We had 3 for many many years. We are now down to two, and it is just so much easier (the little things like carrying 2 buckets 1 in each hand, 2 wet rugs drying etc etc etc). Also the jobs don't take so long so more time just to hang out and enjoy the ponies we do have.

This is exactly what I've just done. I'd say having one less is HALF the work (the one that has left us was the high maintenance one, and a filthy pig in the stable too). I couldn't face into another winter with 3.