Another idiot motorist

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
From Northamptonshire Police.
A horse rider was injured when she was thrown from her horse after a motorist deliberately beeped his horn as he sped passed her on Saturday.
The woman was riding on the Weston to Helmdon road in South Northants, when it is alleged a car drove up at speed behind her. She stopped the horse on the grass verge at which point the car went passed with the motorist continuously beeping his horn as he went by.
The loud noise caused the horse to rear-up and throw the rider into a hedge, resulting in a deep cut to her leg and whiplash injuries.
The vehicle failed to stop and drove off at speed.
The car was a faded red VW Polo, possibly a Y registration, with a loud exhaust, tinted rear window and passenger windows. It had a yellow and green bumper sticker on the driver’s side and contained four white young men, aged in their late teens.
The incident took place at some point between 6.10pm and 6.20pm on Saturday, 23 April.
Officers would like to speak to anyone who may have witnessed this incident or who may recognise the description of the car involved.
Witnesses or anyone with information about this incident can contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I really dont understand why someone would intentionally try to upset a horse and risk causing serious harm to a person and animal - why?! The world would be a much nicer place without people like this :(

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Someone did something similar to me the other day, car coming towards me, passed slowly and a long beep of horn as they drew level. Luckily the tb only jumped a little and carried on his way while they laughed. Was so quick and I was so surprised I didn't get reg or anything.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Horrid, simply horrid. :( I am glad the horse was uninjured and hope that the rider will recover soon. Those doing such things should be put behind bars or at least heavily fined!!!

I was inches away from a serious accident in a similar situation. When out hacking, the revving noise of an engine came suddenly from a bend in the road ahead of us and seconds later a sports car flew out of it straight at us, roaring! My horse, as safe in traffic as he is, reared, spun and went galloping homewards, probably saving us from a certain collision. I tried stopping him, but to no avail, as we were flying down the edge of a huge field and another field with barb-wire fencing was approaching fast. :( Looked back and understood why there was no stopping him - the blasted car was FOLLOWING US, two guys sitting in the front seats and laughing their asses off!!! Bloody idiots!

I did the only possible thing to save us from crashing into the barbed wire fences and the flooded, swampy field behind them, and turned my horse on the road, in front of the car. Terribly risky, but I had no other choice and it worked - they stopped and had to let us pass, showing me the bird and laughing all along. The car had distinct markings, but the police never got them.

I still get nervous thinking about that day, and my gelding, who used to be bombproof in traffic, now is nervous whenever he hears engines revving. :( :mad:

Catherine94

Visit site
I don't understand what can cause a person to think that endangering the safety of an animal or a person is funny. The concerning thing is that these incidents seem to be occurring more and more frequently. It's hearing about things like this that made me buy a helmet camera, as unfortunately some people seem to think it's acceptable to leave a living being lying injured in the road. Just last week, in the next village over from me, a persons reckless driving caused a teenager to be thrown from her horse and break her arm, and the driver just drove off and left her there. Seriously don't understand how it can be in anyway amusing and anyone who leaves a person injured is nothing but a coward in my opinion.

Criso and Sleipnir, I'm glad you're both okay, and I hope the rider involved in this incident makes a good recovery.

atropa

Visit site
Horrid, simply horrid. :( I am glad the horse was uninjured and hope that the rider will recover soon. Those doing such things should be put behind bars or at least heavily fined!!!

I was inches away from a serious accident in a similar situation. When out hacking, the revving noise of an engine came suddenly from a bend in the road ahead of us and seconds later a sports car flew out of it straight at us, roaring! My horse, as safe in traffic as he is, reared, spun and went galloping homewards, probably saving us from a certain collision. I tried stopping him, but to no avail, as we were flying down the edge of a huge field and another field with barb-wire fencing was approaching fast. :( Looked back and understood why there was no stopping him - the blasted car was FOLLOWING US, two guys sitting in the front seats and laughing their asses off!!! Bloody idiots!

I did the only possible thing to save us from crashing into the barbed wire fences and the flooded, swampy field behind them, and turned my horse on the road, in front of the car. Terribly risky, but I had no other choice and it worked - they stopped and had to let us pass, showing me the bird and laughing all along. The car had distinct markings, but the police never got them.

I still get nervous thinking about that day, and my gelding, who used to be bombproof in traffic, now is nervous whenever he hears engines revving. :( :mad:

Absolutely unbelievable and despicable behaviour! My blood is boiling for you reading that.

Sleipnir

Visit site
It's been 2 years, atropa, and I still haven't been able to live it down fully. It will stay among the most terrifying accidents, related to traffic, in my experience, and I doubt I'll feel comfortable on the roads ever again.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I really dont understand why someone would intentionally try to upset a horse and risk causing serious harm to a person and animal - why?! The world would be a much nicer place without people like this :(

I had it done to me while I was out riding. Luckily no harm done, but my horse could easily have veered off into the path of the cars behind the offending one, who had no idea what was going on. She lived near a scummy council estate, and the youths from there are notorious. Of course it is highly amusing to see a "snooty" horse rider dumped on their backside in the road, yep, hilarious. The thing that frightened me the most that they came from behind. My horse was only 15.1hh and that was down to very high withers, and I am only 5'4" and was a size 8 at the time so could easily have been mistaken for a child if seen from behind. I did report the car but it the plate was unregistered. Second pointer to scummy council estate.

pansymouse

Visit site
I had a motorist that routinely terrorised me and my thankfully docile horse some 20 years ago; I reported every incident to the police and they were fantastic; they let me know that I wasn't the only rider he picked on and it was their policy to stop him every time they saw him and make his life equally difficult. I did once kick his car with my foot still in the stirrup; a fact I may have over looked telling the police. He was a well know nutter who drove a very large expensive car with a private plate.

Sandstone1

Visit site
I had it done to me while I was out riding. Luckily no harm done, but my horse could easily have veered off into the path of the cars behind the offending one, who had no idea what was going on. She lived near a scummy council estate, and the youths from there are notorious. Of course it is highly amusing to see a "snooty" horse rider dumped on their backside in the road, yep, hilarious. The thing that frightened me the most that they came from behind. My horse was only 15.1hh and that was down to very high withers, and I am only 5'4" and was a size 8 at the time so could easily have been mistaken for a child if seen from behind. I did report the car but it the plate was unregistered. Second pointer to scummy council estate.

I've lived on a "scummy council estate" I'd never drive like that and nor would most people who live there.
In fact the worst drivers are those in 4x4s.
You're very rude and very prejudiced.

fatpiggy

Visit site
I've lived on a "scummy council estate" I'd never drive like that and nor would most people who live there.

You don't know the people who live there - I do. I have friends who live adjoining it and they can't sell up and move because of the reputation of the area. Houses can be bought for under £40K if you are brave enough to try. I agree, not everyone is like that but they do tend to attract each other and the decent people move out.

You seem equally prejudiced about 4x4 drivers.

Rollin

Visit site
There are so many incidents, it is time the British Government did something to protect horses and riders, after all they installed a National Cycling network to protect cyclists.

It is no better in France, our Shagya stallion completed 3 x90m endurance for his stud book performance and is now a talented SJ. Our stable jockeys never ride without me in a car to protect them. Last summer Under Milkwood our stallion was chased by a huge tractor with a trailer behind, who honked his horn to tried and make the jockey move off the narrow road. I sat behind horse and rider in our Cleo to stop the farmer. Unfortunately for farmer the jockey was a Gendarme who had been part of the Republican Guard in Paris. We made sure EVERYONE knew the tractor and also that we now carry cameras with us.

Makemineacob

Visit site
The standard of driving and behaviour towards horses and riders is the reason I refuse to ride on the roads anymore. It's all very well to stereotype the type of people who are just downright arrogant towards horses, it depends on where you live as to the type of vehicles you will encounter and encounters can be from anyone from any background so it's wrong to single out certain "types" of people. I am please to see the BHS campaign but have to ask has anyone actually seen it being promoted anywhere? I saw a snippet on the local news one night and then absolutely nothing, apparently they've leafleted cycle clubs and put adverts on fuel pumps somewhere but whenever I've asked anyone "non horsey" no one seems to have heard anything on it. It is all about re-educating drivers and getting the message out there as it's the non horsey folk that we need to educate.

Lizzie66

Visit site
You don't know the people who live there - I do. I have friends who live adjoining it and they can't sell up and move because of the reputation of the area. Houses can be bought for under £40K if you are brave enough to try. I agree, not everyone is like that but they do tend to attract each other and the decent people move out.

But to describe the whole estate as "scummy" is bigoted and insulting and certainly helps reinforce the stereotype of those who ride horses.

sunshine100*

Visit site
I agree the roads are getting worse-everyone using back roads as shortcut and driving like lunatics round blind bends...its nice if you have a byway or bridleway next to you (although byways have been used by scramblers and 4x4's for a long time which you can avoid if you don't use them at weekends...)

I agree everyone on a horse getting a camera-save up of whatever and then you have evidence for the police -oh and they are usually local according to the police so quick drive round local area yourself and you will know where these tikes live :mad:

Damnation

Visit site
I just can't get my head around it.

What would be the driver's excuse if the rider ended up dead as a result of their actions as a driver? That could end up in jail time for them, why risk it???

Annagain

Visit site
We were out on Saturday, on a single track road surrounded by tall trees which is quite twisty. It leads to our yard and 3 houses although it has two entrances off the main road so creates a circular route. Very few people have any cause to go up there and it's usually very quiet.

M had taken a couple of lame steps so I jumped off to see if I could see anything and then heard this almighty roar that was getting closer, fast. Realising we had nowhere to go I put myself in front of him and got as far out to the middle of the road so the driver would see me sooner. Luckily we were towards the top of quite a steep hill so when this giant matador truck came flying round the corner, the hill helped to slow him down. He must have been doing at least 25mph on a lane where the norm is 5-10mph The screech of brakes (we're talking a 7T, 50yr old vehicle here) was horrendous though and M was worried. I was so thankful I was off him as he's not 100% with big things coming towards him but running isn't in his nature, thankfully and A didn't care, as usual. Had I carried on and not got off to check his hoof we'd have met it right on the bend.

Although I wasn't off M because of the vehicle, the driver thought I was and was pretty surprised to see a woman dressed head to toe in hi-viz yellow standing in the middle of the lane, holding a horse with her hand out in a very bossy manner! He did apologise and said "It sounds a lot worse than it is, you don't have to drive it aggressively for it to be really loud." I just laughed and said, "all the more reason not to drive it aggressively then, the brakes made as bad a noise as the engine." He looked sheepish and drove off. He was clearly having a bit of a play in his giant boy's toy and didn't expect to meet anyone.

pennyturner

Visit site
We have to share the roads with all kinds of noise and nastiness, so it is on us, the horse-riders to do our best to get our horses used to this kind of thing.

I can't do anything about the Jewson truck which overtook on a blind bend on Saturday last (anyone coming the other way would have been dead, no question), but I was able to calmly nod hello to the 30 'hog' type motorcycles and trikes which we met the next day. Pony trusted me to keep him safe.

Not saying that there aren't some idiots out there, but it is on us to do our best to prepare our horses for the unexpected - and traffic noise, beeping horns and air brakes are normal. When an ambulance comes screaming past me with the sirens on, I don't want my horse's lack of training to be the reason it doesn't get where it's going.

Makemineacob

Visit site
We have to share the roads with all kinds of noise and nastiness, so it is on us, the horse-riders to do our best to get our horses used to this kind of thing.

I can't do anything about the Jewson truck which overtook on a blind bend on Saturday last (anyone coming the other way would have been dead, no question), but I was able to calmly nod hello to the 30 'hog' type motorcycles and trikes which we met the next day. Pony trusted me to keep him safe.

Not saying that there aren't some idiots out there, but it is on us to do our best to prepare our horses for the unexpected - and traffic noise, beeping horns and air brakes are normal. When an ambulance comes screaming past me with the sirens on, I don't want my horse's lack of training to be the reason it doesn't get where it's going.

Very well said. We have to accept that the standard of driving is unlikely to ever improve and have to take every effort to keep ourselves and our beloved four legged friends safe.

Annagain

Visit site
Very well said. We have to accept that the standard of driving is unlikely to ever improve and have to take every effort to keep ourselves and our beloved four legged friends safe.

Totally agree and I wouldn't take any horse on the road whom I couldn't trust to deal with the vast majority of things we come across. As I said M isn't 100% with big things coming towards him, but all he does is freeze and shake. He is far better than most horses on the road but I won't call him 100% because I've been spoilt with A who, in 11 years has never even given any vehicle, no matter how big or unusual a second look. I wouldn't even call A 100% as I don't believe you can ever trust any animal 100%. I do know there's not a horse out there I could ever trust more than A though.

I wasn't worried about the horses' reactions more that the truck would hit us!

patchwork puzzle

Visit site

Excuse me!!! The worst drivers are Not those in 4x4's! I drive a 4x4, and a number of my friends drive 4x4's and not one of us would drive like this.

The worst drivers are those who would behave that way regardless of the wheel they are behind.

I too once had a car come past me beeping all the way. It was over 20yrs ago and I was a child on a riding school hack. Luckily my pony did not flinch but another bolted.....oh and it was a small hatchback 😕

Sandstone1

Visit site

I'm not prejudiced, I deliberately said that about 4x4s to prove my point!
Clearly went above your head though!!
Not nice when people make assumptions is it's

Rollin

Visit site

Yes, we do have to get horses used to all sorts of situations but the only way to traffic proof a horse is with traffic. We don't teach people to drive a car in a field and then expect them to cope with traffic. Drivers should show respect for vulnerable road users the road is called a 'carriage way'. If we continue to say the responsibility rests with the rider and the horse, then our roads will become no go areas. I drove a 1,000 miles a week for my job over 20 years and never felt the need to show anything other than respect for other people on the road - never done for speeding on the basis I was in a hurry!! People are very selfish.

Makemineacob

Visit site
I think it's safe to say idiots can be behind the wheel of any vehicle.

What worries me more than anything and this may be because I haven't researched them enough and I may be going off on a tangent but what about the era we are appearing to begin to enter, i.e driverless cars. I cannot begin to comprehend how that will ever work with horses being on the roads.

Edited to add- I'm sure I read somewhere that in the event of any type of accident, the software would be considered to be the "legal driver"????

Sandstone1

Visit site
Totally agree and I wouldn't take any horse on the road whom I couldn't trust to deal with the vast majority of things we come across. As I said M isn't 100% with big things coming towards him, but all he does is freeze and shake. He is far better than most horses on the road but I won't call him 100% because I've been spoilt with A who, in 11 years has never even given any vehicle, no matter how big or unusual a second look. I wouldn't even call A 100% as I don't believe you can ever trust any animal 100%. I do know there's not a horse out there I could ever trust more than A though.

I wasn't worried about the horses' reactions more that the truck would hit us!

How do you do this without going on the road though?

Sandstone1

Visit site
Excuse me!!! The worst drivers are Not those in 4x4's! I drive a 4x4, and a number of my friends drive 4x4's and not one of us would drive like this.

The worst drivers are those who would behave that way regardless of the wheel they are behind.

I too once had a car come past me beeping all the way. It was over 20yrs ago and I was a child on a riding school hack. Luckily my pony did not flinch but another bolted.....oh and it was a small hatchback ��

Quite, which is why I said it, you can't say one group of drivers is any worse than others. Saying it's people from "A scummy council estate" is prejudiced and rude. It also gives the impression of horse riders being snobbish, upper class and arrogant.
We all know this isn't true but that impression doesn't help.