Another isolated case of CEM...

Alec Swan

Visit site
AndyPandy,

assuming that this stallion is a recent import, which would explain the routine test, according to the website offered by Groomsbridge, then it makes one wonder if the horse was tested before leaving the EU state of departure.

When we had cases of Blue Tongue in ruminants in GB in '08 & '09, sheep, but generally cattle, were testing positive upon arrival, but not on departure.

Surely on the Continent they apply the same protocol to testing as we do? Another question, can sexually transmitted diseases be passed on at the time of AI?

Alec.

AndyPandy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
assuming that this stallion is a recent import, which would explain the routine test, according to the website offered by Groomsbridge, then it makes one wonder if the horse was tested before leaving the EU state of departure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unforunately, the test for CEM that is generally used (a 7 day bacterial growth) is not 100% accurate. Also, sampling techniques used on the stallion vary from vet-to-vet so there is little control, and a carrier stallion can be missed! This, I believe, is the reason that the USA require 3 sets of CEM swabs, at least 72 hours apart for stallions whose semen is being exported there...

[ QUOTE ]
Surely on the Continent they apply the same protocol to testing as we do? Another question, can sexually transmitted diseases be passed on at the time of AI?

[/ QUOTE ]

They most likely do, but as I say - CEM can be missed
smile.gif

Semen extenders are designed to help cells live longer... that includes bacterial cells and viruses, unfortunately. Hence, CEM and EVA can be passed from animal to animal via AI...

Antibiotics are included in most commercial semen extenders for this reason (and to prevent general bacterial growth), although there is some debate as to which antibiotics are most effective against the CEM organism - Taylorella equigenitalis.

laugh.gif

Thefuture

Visit site
Does anyone know whether it is a stud with more than one stallion? It does put you off importing if these things can be missed on first checks and with more and more people standing stallions brought in from abroad which dont get swabbed at all before covering/AI I wonder how many mare owners actually understand the associated risks.

sallyf

Visit site
If people stand stallions that arnt swabbed they must be pretty unreputable as both CEM and EVA are transmissable in shipped semen.
We take great care to have our stallions tested to both BEVA and HBLB codes of practice and personally i think it should be compulsary to test all mares and stallions before they can cover or be covered/AI'd