Another 'nearly fell off' story

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Spooking is an indicator of discomfort .
And a horse that's always spooked may well have always been in discomfort .

FAR from always. I bought a mare back at 7yo - she'd been totally spook proof when we sold her at rising 4. She had got into the hands of a total idiot (who only wanted her because she was a matchie-matchie for her daughters pony!) When we got her back, she was grossly fat and had the manners of a wart hog and was almost terrifying to ride. She was checked out by the vet, and the farrier - nothing found. She got her a*se smacked more than once. It took 3 months to restore her manners to those she'd had as a baby - and now she is near perfect.

When a horse is frightened, I always start by giving it the benefit of the doubt But with some - it doesn't work!

We have a young gelding who WOULDN'T stay on the outside track of the manege on the side nearest the woods (and they were within 6' - a chainsaw has changed that!) But he hacked through those woods like a kid's pony. We gave him the benefit of the doubt for too long - then got tough on him. Now he's nearly perfect.

I'm not saying that getting tough on the OP's horse is the way to go - I don't think for a moment that it is with this one. But they're all different. Pain is more likely to cause general bad manners (i.e. bucking, rearing, even lying down.)

Goldenstar

Visit site
I should have put can be .
It's my experience that horse even well disciplined ones will spook when something is sore .
I think it's two things one displacement the horse spooks to get the riders attention away from the thing that difficult to do .
Then with some it's because they see something they don't like and on top of the discomfort and it all gets too much .
I always deal with spooking by leg yielding or shoulder in it gets them past the offending thing and is I feel a more positive way of dealing with it that using the whip
Applecart, just a thought might he be easier in hacked in a draw rein until your through this stage not ideal but it might just make things easier for you .

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Agreed with JG, spooking IME is rarely related to pain.

And anyone who has never given a strong forwards aid (ie walloped) a horse when they're misbehaving has either never had a tricky horse, or is kidding themselves frankly.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
As with everything horsey timing is everything. It sounded from the op the horse was walloped once it had turned to face the other way. Whether you agree with walloping a spooking horse or not, by then it's far too late anyway.

I had a good lesson yesterday and had asked my SJ instructor what to do when my horse focuses on some monster at the side of the arena instead of my aids. We did some exercises to combat this and really it was all about correcting the horse before it thought about spooking and keeping her focused on me.

Previously I would be trying to correct her once she had started the process and it's not easy to correct a solid necked cob when it thinks (knows!) it's right. Using his suggestions, she didn't even look at the things because I was on the case before it had entered her head.

Lightbulb moment for me I hope.

popsdosh

Visit site
Agreed with JG, spooking IME is rarely related to pain.

And anyone who has never given a strong forwards aid (ie walloped) a horse when they're misbehaving has either never had a tricky horse, or is kidding themselves frankly.

I agree however there are times when its justified however never after the event ,as I said the most important aid is between the riders ears as experienced riders know in most cases you feel the horse just change under you and thats when you push forward as much as anything to give the horse confidence . It is no good sitting there letting a horse do it and then 'walloping' it in my experience all you achieve is a horse that shies and then bolts because of what its expecting to happen. I see it so many times riders who resort to the stick usually turn out to be very nervous riders who take out their insecurity on their horses.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Trouble is, some horse i know, if you start to anticipate that they will spook, they then start to look for the thing to spook at! No amount of preparing for (in this case) my sisters horse to spook at a fence would not make him spook, it would make no difference to him at all! You could kick, kick, and apply the whip aid (wallop) all you like, he would still slow to a stop. May as well not bother and let him do it in his own fashion lol Again, eyes and health tested, jumped Newcomers successfully, PC teams with 3 riders, but still when you get to a spooky fence, he would slow/stop before jumping! He's the same now if he knows there's something to spook at. No jumping these days :)

Auslander

Visit site
Disagree that spooking is pain related. My horse is a world-class spooker - because he's sharp and silly, not because he's in pain. When eh was rehabbing from suspensory problems, I stuck him in draw reins for our own safety. He tried to spin once, realised it wasn't an option, and didn't try it again. Might be worth thinking about.
I have smacked him for spooking too - as he starts to think about it. I've also smacked him after a spook when he has considered not going past the spooky object. If I fanny about patting him and telling him everything is fine - he gets far worse, as he thinks I'm worried abotu the spook-provoker too

Goldenstar

Visit site
Spooking is always the first indication that J's dicky jaw needs attention it was the first indication that my little hunter Sammy was going wrong .
Of course horses spook for other reasons as well but it's defiantly something you need to ask yourself , being silly to travel ( another thing that J does if his jaw troubles him ) is another thing that flags up the possibility of problems ahead to me I had to old hunters with spavins one became reluctant to load and the other silly to travel .

LCH611

Visit site
Disagree that spooking is pain related. My horse is a world-class spooker - because he's sharp and silly, not because he's in pain. When eh was rehabbing from suspensory problems, I stuck him in draw reins for our own safety. He tried to spin once, realised it wasn't an option, and didn't try it again. Might be worth thinking about.
I have smacked him for spooking too - as he starts to think about it. I've also smacked him after a spook when he has considered not going past the spooky object. If I fanny about patting him and telling him everything is fine - he gets far worse, as he thinks I'm worried abotu the spook-provoker too

I agree! I had a little horse that was the most fabulous schoolmaster and won countless rosettes for everyone I lent him to - from clear round & gymkhana games right up to being very successful as an FEI event pony. Put a complete novice on him and he would plod down the road without batting an eyelid at any kind of scary stuff, put someone who could ride on him and he would have the time of his life teleporting, whipping round and generally thoroughly enjoying himself. To him it was a great sport and getting smacked for it meant that he was getting a good reaction as it was best to try not to get infuriated and just ignore it - which could be hard when you were ricocheting about all over the place! Op in your position I would either be longreining or borrowing the company of a steady nanny to hack out with (or have you got one you can ride & lead off?). You obviously need to get some work into him and not let this become a "thing". In the meantime cut out all hard feed. If it makes you feel better mine are all nuts at the moment!

AandK

Visit site
I think it CAN be an indicator of pain if it is worse than normal or out of character. My TB is a good spooker, always has been and I have had him since 5yo (is now 19!). I know that when jumping if he gets much, much worse than the standard spook, then he is not happy. This happened at an event a few years ago, nightmare SJ and nightmare XC. Thought he was being a t*t, but got the physio out to check him over anyway (he had/has a known issue) and he was quite sore. Treated him and the next event a month later he went double clear!

applecart14

Visit site
Spooking is an indicator of discomfort .
And a horse that's always spooked may well have always been in discomfort.

Well by your amazing reckoning that would mean that half the horses in the country (and all the people who have said on this discussion that their horses are spooking) are in discomfort then. He spooked when I tried him out in 2004 yet he went on to pass two vettings. Amazing. He must have been very uncomfortable to have managed that. Yes pain can cause spooking, but so can about 50 other things not pain related.

Goldenstar do enlighten me (as in my previous post) why was he still spooking on 3 bute a day, whilst on the bute trial. Would you please answer me this?

He is already on Magic which has been incredible for his spooking. However, since he has been on reduced turnout, gone down from trot/canter/jumping/dressage, and fed a different diet he has been spooking badly.

He is already on joint supplement for his joints, pink powder for his gut and magic as a calmer so I cannot afford anything else at present I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion.

For the record this is a video of my poor old lame hard doneby horse who is in such pain being ridden by my friend. This was October and was sent to the vet who agreed I could start jumping him again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJdyQQtWrg and here he is again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV0YvouNeA0
and here he is after recovering from his first and second suspensory branch injury https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ELFI_j7Yjk

So please stop suggesting my horse is in pain as you are talking utter rubbish and it really is very upsetting.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
I think it CAN be an indicator of pain if it is worse than normal or out of character. My TB is a good spooker, always has been and I have had him since 5yo (is now 19!). I know that when jumping if he gets much, much worse than the standard spook, then he is not happy. This happened at an event a few years ago, nightmare SJ and nightmare XC. Thought he was being a t*t, but got the physio out to check him over anyway (he had/has a known issue) and he was quite sore. Treated him and the next event a month later he went double clear!

Hi A&K Its not out of charachter at all , hes been spooking since I have owned him although better since being on the Magic. It is not a pain response, it is his normal way, hence why he spooked when I trie dhim out in 2004, why in 2012 I got his eyes checked and why in 2013 I put him on Magic calmer.

I would just like to add that I came on this forum to ask if anyone had any suggestions to help me with my spooky horse as I was struggling and upset as I was getting frightened. I did not come on to get peoples opinions on whether I should continue to ride my horse or not, or whether he was in pain or anything else. Thank you.

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
OP, you are far too defensive on here. Where did I say anything about your horse spooking as a pain response? I agree with others that spooking is, more often than not, just how a horse is - as my post says, my horse is like that! But as a few people have said they don't think it is due to pain, I wanted to share my opinion, and story, that it can be if worse than normal/out of character.

AandK

Visit site
Hi A&K Its not out of charachter at all , hes been spooking since I have owned him although better since being on the Magic. It is not a pain response, it is his normal way, hence why he spooked when I trie dhim out in 2004, why in 2012 I got his eyes checked and why in 2013 I put him on Magic calmer.

I would just like to add that I came on this forum to ask if anyone had any suggestions to help me with my spooky horse as I was struggling and upset as I was getting frightened. I did not come on to get peoples opinions on whether I should continue to ride my horse or not, or whether he was in pain or anything else. Thank you.

I see you have edited your post.. I gave some advice on cutting out hard feed and sugary treats, yet you have ignored that and chosen to jump on those who have suggested your horse may be uncomfortable (and also those that haven't in my case!)
Perhaps you would be better to ignore any comments you perceive as negative.

ImmyS

Visit site
My horse who is recovering from a slight sprain of his suspensory branch (lateral) is a nightmare to ride at present. He is obviously feeling very well due to the unseasonal mild weather we have been having, as have a lot of horses and the fact that he was quite fit when he did his injury (ironically shying from something in a dressage arena). He is resigned to walking and trotting in straight lines for the next four weeks before proceeding to cantering and schooling movement and appears to find the whole thing laboriously boring. THe vet has offered a good prognosis.

Last Sunday he shied violently at something left in the verge (thank you Mr Fly Tipper) and we ended up facing the other direction although he doesn't bolt thank goodness. He got a good wallop and we managed to pass it eventually. On arrival back at the yard I jumped in the car to retrieve said item form the verge!!

Last night he shied violently twice in the school! Someone had jumped during the day and had used a filler that is hung on the menage fence and hung it back up differently to how it had been hanging, thus showing a different design to what he was used to seeing. It beggars belief. Most horses wouldn't have even noticed the filler, let alone that the design was different.

This is a horse that is happy for a combine harvester to trundle towards him down a lane, passing within a couple of feet of him and is often confronted by three abreast cyclists around a bend in the lane, without even flinching. Yet the sight of a different pattern on a filler, a dock leaf blowing in the wind or a piece of boot lining deposited on the verge will send him into near hysteria.

I am not ashamed to admit when I am scared and it rarely happens these days as I have owned him for nearly 12 years (and have not fallen off him in a shy as yet) but last night I was frightened and actually ended up in tears. I spoke to the YO and she suggested I reduce the amount of Good Doer that he is on. I have already reduced the pink powder as its a feed balancer, reduced the carrots and the apples he eats, and also reduced his pature mix and pony nuts to half a mug a feed! He appears from the front like he is fat and carrying weight but to be honest, I think this is just a gassy belly from the hay (he is not on grass and hasn't been since November) and the fact that his tummy muscles aren't brilliant due to his way of going and my lack of skills as a rider. You can also slightly see his ribs when he stands to the side. I've asked the YO to replace the barley water (run off from boiled barley) with water to wet his feeds.

I feel totally desolate, my partner is coming up tonight to support me but I feel like I have really asked him there to assist when I fall off (which I am expecting to). All this shying isn't helped by the winds we have been having lately and the fact that the sheep like to hide under the tree line next to the menage, which terrifies the life out of him.

It was spinning that did his leg in, in the first place, after spraining the branch galloping around on the lunge on a twisted shoe, although we weren't aware of this at the time. What hope have I if he continues in this trend?

Any advice??

I personally would cut out all hard feed for the moment. Only feed hay. If he NEEDS supplements then I would give him a handful of chaff with them, nothing else.

I would also work him twice a day where possible and would take him out either in hand or long rein with an assistant. Eliminate the risk of him spinning and causing more damage.

applecart14

Visit site
OP, you are far too defensive on here. Where did I say anything about your horse spooking as a pain response? I agree with others that spooking is, more often than not, just how a horse is - as my post says, my horse is like that! But as a few people have said they don't think it is due to pain, I wanted to share my opinion, and story, that it can be if worse than normal/out of character.

A& K I am sorry you have misread my reply. The first paragraph was directed at you. THat s why I put A&K. I was not being defensive at all (with you).

The second paragraph was directed to those who were commenting about my horse being in pain when all I want is some advice on how to deal with spooking.

Sorry you misinterpreted it in the way you did. In retrospect I should have put the second paragraph on a new reply but I assumed you would read it in the way I intended.

Last edited:

applecart14

Visit site
I personally would cut out all hard feed for the moment. Only feed hay. If he NEEDS supplements then I would give him a handful of chaff with them, nothing else.

I would also work him twice a day where possible and would take him out either in hand or long rein with an assistant. Eliminate the risk of him spinning and causing more damage.

Hi Immy S, I can only ride once per day as I am at work for 7.15am and its a journey of half an hour to the yard, and an additional half an hour to work from there so its really impossible for me to go anymore than once per day. I can ride twice at weekends, so I may start doing that.

As for the assistant idea, I can only have an assistant when my partner can get up to the yard due to work, and there is no one who could/would help. Its still too dark for me to hack after work on the roads. I doubt I would have very little control on long reins, if he spooks he would be off like a shot and I would not have the strength to hold him as he is a big 17.1hh horse, although I am willing to try.

Last night my partner came and watched me and took a couple of videos for the vet. On the whole my horse was pretty good, but there was no winds; the first night for weeks when it was actually calm and the sun was just going down. When the sheep started running under the tree line next to the school he started to misbehave and spook so I took him in and as another livery wanted to lunge in the school at the time and because I can only do straight lines I had to come in anyway.

applecart14

Visit site
I see you have edited your post.. I gave some advice on cutting out hard feed and sugary treats, yet you have ignored that and chosen to jump on those who have suggested your horse may be uncomfortable (and also those that haven't in my case!)
Perhaps you would be better to ignore any comments you perceive as negative.

A& K if you read my OP you will see that I have already stated that I have cut down on hard feed and carrots, apples and pink powder. Sorry you feel the way you do, I am little lost at the moment and just begging for some help. I often edit my replies as I add or take something out to make it read better, its not for the purpose of catching anyone out or being devious or any other reason. Sorry you feel the way you do.

Do you know what I am leaving it here. I am upset enough, but some of the people on here just don't know when to stop. If I am 'big enough' to admit I am scared and ask for help it would be nice if people wouldn't insist on 'jumping' on me all the time (not you A&K).

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
OP I wouldn't be riding him at this point, not least for your own safety, but also because I don't believe in riding a horse until it is fully over an injury. I would be long reining him both out on a 'hack' (if safe to do so) and in the arena. I would build this up gradually and incorporate some trotting. It's tiring but good for you! I do it with a horse here that is recovering from hock pain. I do a half hour session, mainly at walk on the long reins but also some trot where I am running. You can do occasional very large circles and rein changes that way which does not strain the legs (at least not the horse's!). I have a large 25 x 60m arena and I am knackered by the end of it, but it saves me having to go on the cross trainer that day!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I think A+K meant cut out, not just cut down his apples/carrots and hard feed. The apples and carrots certainly don't bring anything to his diet and it doesn't sound like he needs anything more than a bit of chop for his supplements atm.

If you aren't feeling confident enough to ride him at the moment then work him in hand or on long reins, straightness training has a fair bit online for in hand work and is all about using themselves correctly which would be great for him.

Bernster

Visit site
I think A+K meant cut out, not just cut down his apples/carrots and hard feed. The apples and carrots certainly don't bring anything to his diet and it doesn't sound like he needs anything more than a bit of chop for his supplements atm.

If you aren't feeling confident enough to ride him at the moment then work him in hand or on long reins, straightness training has a fair bit online for in hand work and is all about using themselves correctly which would be great for him.

I was although thinking this - would you feel more confident doing stuff on the ground, long lining and ground work? Would help take the pressure off you, might help your confidence in him, and would probably be v helpful for his rehab (although I don't know your plan/treatment etc to know that for sure). I'm quick to get someone else to help when I have a set back, I find it works best for me to call for help early on rather than struggle on and shake my rather wobbly confidence further! Even just to have someone on the ground for me to talk to and focus on in the short term.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I have also smacked mine for spooking- it was at a wheelie bin and he's seen them before but it was in the road and he did a 180 degree spin. I'm sure he'd rather get a smacked bottom than end up under a car next time.

Re the filler it is believable that he can spot the different design - mine can we have a filler at the yard that has rainbow colours one side and purple spirals that look like they are moving on the other. He spooked a couple of times at the colour side but is far worse with the purple spirals and sounds very like stencil faces sisters horse will spot any changes to a fence and grind to a halt especially if there is a filler. I haven't ever gone to competitions because of his inability to box but I doubt we'd get round a course. However I think part of it was me anticipating the fact he may stop if the fence changes so I'd immediately ride quite defensive then tense- therefore confirming his belief it's changed and is now going to eat him - following lessons from yo who sjs I'm realising I did use to do this and still do at times! However he's a lot better about going first time though we haven't done fillers lately so think that may still cause stops. Are you perhaps riding defensively or tense understandably anticipating a spook so confirming his belief there's something to be scared of?

Mine will also happily walk through puddles and ponds but a small trickle of water down the road is terrifying as is a piece of different coloured road or sand in the school - he will freeze and snort at it having been pootling along.

His hair on the floor after I've trimmed his legs is absolutely the most terrifying evil monster that is totally going to eat him.

Last edited:

Fun Times

Visit site
OP, I too know the difficulties of rehabbing a horse that can only be permitted to do certain activities and movements. I know you are meant to only go in straight lines but sometimes the vets ideal rehab programme is far from achievable in reality...well, not without prejudicing your safety. So with my horse I cheated a bit. I hired a huge arena that we are fortunate enough to have locally and pottered about in that. Its a about 75 x 60m so I figured that there were no more curves and bends than he would probably face on a normal country lane. I use a short track next to our stables that runs through a field and has no traffic. And I also hired a local gallops (not when the racehorses were there!) and hacked him up there. All of these tbings made me feel significantly safer than tackling him on a road with traffic. I also like the idea of long reining that people ha e suggested.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Yes pain can cause spooking, but so can about 50 other things not pain related.

Goldenstar do enlighten me (as in my previous post) why was he still spooking on 3 bute a day, whilst on the bute trial. Would you please answer me this?

So please stop suggesting my horse is in pain as you are talking utter rubbish and it really is very upsetting.
I don’t know about the details about your horse and his injuries.

BUT bute is not an absolute painkiller. I think it works by reducing pain through reducing inflammation. I think it’s quite good on muscle and joint pain.

But in longer term nerve / tendon / ligament / Sacroilliac pain, bute is often not effective all, or barely effective. I think it depends if local inflammation is the cause of the pain. Bute did nothing for my horse’s sacroiliac pain or suspensory pain, which my vet said was not unusual.

Whilst a bute trial gives you information, it does NOT allow you to conclude your horse is not in pain. Some types of pain are just not relieved by bute.

Please do not rely on a bute trial to tell you your horse is not in pain.

Please call or text your vet, he WILL confirm the above is true.

The bute trial works thus:

If your horse improves on bute, and deteriorates when you stop the bute, there is almost certainly a pain cause of the problem.

If your horse doesn’t improve on bute, you CANNOT conclude horse is not in pain. As could be pain types that don’t response well to bute.

I have a lot of sympathy, I have rehabbed injuries through a level of pain and discomfort, and it is hard work, mentally tough, and heartbreaking. You have to trust your gut instincts, the honesty of your friends, and the team of bodyworkers, trainers and professionals that make up your support team. There are a lot of things that with time and slow consistent quality work will improve, sometimes beyond what is expected, if you put the time in. but it is a tough call when it is right to do so.

My rehab horse was long term spooky and nappy even before he broken down the first time (underlying issues I now think. Now he is more comfortable, he is a lot braver to hack, spooks far less. However I have also realised he becomes spookier, and thinks about napping when he is in pain / not right. e.g. had mouth abscess we were slow to find last year. This horse if carrying a level of pain or discomfort becomes a lot less brave to hack, and more spooky. Now I know it is sign, and always find an underlying issue.

I don’t think all horses that spook are in pain / discomfort. But I think more of them are in pain / discomfort / mental / physical tension than we give credit to. Same as when you get a bit intense as a rider schooling, trying to get something right, and the horse out of the blue starts spooking. It can be a reaction to being a bit physically tense or mentally uncomfortable.

I have a different horse with some issues I’ve yet to resolve, who spooks / leaps randomly and regularly, and I do think there is something underlying as he improves post bodywork, but doesn’t maintain improvement, but doesn’t change on bute. Vet cant see anything. But am still trying to figure it out.

applecart14

Visit site
I don’t know about the details about your horse and his injuries.

BUT bute is not an absolute painkiller. I think it works by reducing pain through reducing inflammation. I think it’s quite good on muscle and joint pain.

But in longer term nerve / tendon / ligament / Sacroilliac pain, bute is often not effective all, or barely effective. I think it depends if local inflammation is the cause of the pain. Bute did nothing for my horse’s sacroiliac pain or suspensory pain, which my vet said was not unusual.

Whilst a bute trial gives you information, it does NOT allow you to conclude your horse is not in pain. Some types of pain are just not relieved by bute.

Please do not rely on a bute trial to tell you your horse is not in pain.

Thanks but I think you are mistaken and a bit confused. The bute trial I was talking about was over 20 months ago now. The horse gradually became sounder the less bute he was on, until he reached a maintenance level. I then put him onto 'no bute' due to reasons of my own.

He is on 1/2 sachet of bute a day now for maintenance and will remain on this until I put him back on the 'no bute' that he was on before.

I rode him again last night in the school and he shied in the same two places each time, one under the tree line where there is a pile of sheef wool and he presumably thinks its a sheep, and the other point at the filler which was turned around on the fence line. His trot is great, he is lovely and sound, I am still concentrating on straight lines, and only trotting down the long sides,with the odd short side and introducing two long sides every other day. In a couple of weeks I will be doing more short sides and large circles as agreed in the programme with the vet, the same programme that worked so well on two previous occassions.

A friend from my yard who events and hunts is riding him tonight for me and will stand no nonsense from him, the general consensus is that he is being naughty and trying it on, he is certainly not in pain, I know my horse inside out and when I see him want to break into trot on hacks, and trot, canter and fa*t in the sandpit, eat up his feeds, stand on three legs to scratch his ears, he looks hapy and is bright and interested in his work, I know he is not in pain, particuarly when I know of the times when he was in pain in the past and this was acted upon immediately.I will be sending a video to the vet for reassurance and to confirm this next week but going on the last two occassions I know that he will be very happy with his progress.

My partner who watched me for the last two nights says the horse is clearly bored, frustrated at not being in work, obviously has too much energy and is just trying it on with me. If he was in pain he would be shying at different things, all the time, the very reason he shies at the same point everytime we go round the school, on either rein proves the point. He is just feeling too well.

I am not going to comment on this post further but want to thank each and everyone of you (well, nearly everyone of you) for your comments.

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
A friend from my yard who events and hunts is riding him tonight for me and will stand no nonsense from him, the general consensus is that he is being naughty and trying it on, he is certainly not in pain, I know my horse inside out and when I see him want to break into trot on hacks, and trot, canter and fa*t in the sandpit, eat up his feeds, stand on three legs to scratch his ears, he looks hapy and is bright and interested in his work, I know he is not in pain, particuarly when I know of the times when he was in pain in the past and this was acted upon immediately.I will be sending a video to the vet for reassurance and to confirm this next week but going on the last two occassions I know that he will be very happy with his progress.

My partner who watched me for the last two nights says the horse is clearly bored, frustrated at not being in work, obviously has too much energy and is just trying it on with me. If he was in pain he would be shying at different things, all the time, the very reason he shies at the same point everytime we go round the school, on either rein proves the point. He is just feeling too well.

My instructor, YO, farrier etc, etc, as well as 2 saddle fitters, the dentist and a chiro all said the same about mine, as well as most of HHO when I kept posting random threads thinking there was something wrong. To be fair he was fine with my instructor on board and was fine with everyone out hacking. Turns out the saddle was too long and had knackered his shoulders and hindquarters :(

Hes fixed now finally and hes a different horse. I cant put my finger on exactly what it is, the same way I couldn't put my finger on exactly what it was when he was spooky and difficult. Hence all the posts worrying about it! But hes a different horse now. I think sometimes the experts can tell you there isnt an issue, but most horses arent spooky or badly behaved for no reason. Obviously some are hot and spooky, but some have a reason and are whispering to you so quietly that you just cant hear it.

There surely cant be any harm in a second opinion in this instance, especially given the question mark over his eyes

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine also did all of the good things yours did, and continued to move exceptionally well for his type, which is fat cob :lol: Mine was happy to do things that must have been uncomfortable, so long as it was something he wanted to do.

KautoStar1

Visit site
I would agree with those who suggest cutting out all hard feed and perhaps soak your hay too. Take him right back to basics feed wise. A few weeks on just good quality hay won't do him any harm & if that helps then you can start to reintroduce the necessary vits & minerals. I feed mine st Hippylte Equigard because he's a fatty but I've heard a lot of reports that it's helped spooky horses.
Mine has a loathing of the hedge that runs along the long side of our school and his spooking has had me off before & it doesn't take long for your confidence to hit rock bottom. And mines bomb proof in virtually all other circumstances. There is no rhyme or reason for the things they find spooky. The acavalo gel out seat saver might be worth getting. Will help your sore back too.

Michen

Visit site
I am astounded that people are suggesting horses only spook because of pain or that this MUST be the reason this horse is spooking. Also astounded that Some people believe walloping a horse for spooking is always unacceptable...... Have you never ridden anything with a bit of a sense of humour?!!!!!!

applecart14

Visit site
Quick update. My friend rode him last Friday after work before it got dark. Right from the start he spooked past the filler on the fence and then spooked at it every time thereafter no matter what rein he was on. He also spooked by the tree line, in exactly the same place as he spooks with me. This just proves the point I was trying to make. My friend says the horse is not in pain, far from it, if anything the way he is moving (is sound) and his excitability and spookiness is just proof that he is fresh and wants to move up a gear. She feels he needs lots more work, and feels fit and keen. She said no way to the long reining, she feels he would just tank off when he spooked which I agreed with, he would just undo all the hard work galloping around the menage loose with two long reins attached to him, I wouldn't have a hope in h*ll of holding him back when he shied and it would be when, not if.

I still have to stick to the rehab programme the vet agreed with me, but I am introducing two long sides a time in the school or one trot uphilll on the lanes extra every other time I ride.

Saturday I went for a 3/4 hour hack, he spun once. Sunday we went for an hour and a quarter hack, lots of snorting and small shies, but no spins or massive spooks so I was delighted. Whenever we came to a hill he wanted to trot and was happy and forward going. Going to try and do a video this week for the vet so I will see what he says, but I am sure he will be more than happy with his progress.