Another nosey thread

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
Was just wondering what you all pay for your horseys shoes? Been quoted anywhere from 50 to 75. The guy I chose stated 70 but has a really good rep in the area. And would you choose reputation over cost?

Donnie Darco

Visit site
£75 for a set - not the cheapest around here ...:rolleyes:

And yes reputation over cost - he was recommended by my vet many years ago.

Plus he is reliable, calls if early/late, was patient with my stiff old man and is now patient with the leaping youngster. And is always on the end of the phone if there is a problem :)

Horsehead

Visit site
Definitely, at the last yard I had my mare at I trusted them when they said they had a regular farrier who comes evey Friday to do the horses feet, so I let him do mine and the shoes lasted about 2 weeks at a push. They were £50 but then when I got a good farrier in to re shoe her he was £65, I'm happy to pay that but that £50 I spent was money down the drain. She's TB but her shoes last 6 weeks, and when I got her her feet were quite overgrown and out of shape and my original farrier took time and patience to get them looking good and as her feet should be. The cheaper farrier ruined all that in 2 weeks. Only after did people at the yard start telling me they wouldn't let him near their horses feet! Annoyed

Anyway I digress, I'd rather pay more and know I'm getting a good job is what I'm trying to say!!

MissChaos

Visit site
Yup, I would (and do). For the sake of the extra £10-15 per full set, it's a no brainer to me - I don't mean that to sound like I'm rolling in £ (I'm not!) but feet are a biggie. I think a full set works out around £65-70 all in for mine and he's got an excellent history.

Last edited:

brown tack

Visit site
I pay £50 for a full set with road nails all round. It does help that I've known the farrier for donkeys years and he gives mates rates in return for a good cuppa and choccy biscuit! :D

Plus his the best farrier in my area, his normal rates are around the £75-80 Mark

Spotsrock

Visit site
£30 but mine are all only shod in front, he does trim the back for that too though. Talk to your farrier, few horses need back shoes and it keeps your costs down in other ways too, We've not had a vets bill for a field (kicking) injury since we left the back shoes off.