another question re.semen quality

Janetterose

Visit site
Hi
I was advised that if I were to use AI to use a young stallion with high fertility. Is is just that the age is linked to fertility - its just that I'd like to use Weld if possible who has over 90% fertility but he is 21.

sallyf

Visit site
Dont forget he will be 22 next year and although he might have 90 % fertility natural cover you need to know what his fertility rate is like with chilled semen.
Semen density declines as a stallion gets older particularly in TB's and although he may be ok natural it doesnt mean he will be ok for chilled transported semen.
Find out what his stats are for chilled semen and how many cycles it took to get said mares in foal.
If it was my mare and she had fluid problems i would personally look for a stallion that has a proven record with chilled semen over a reasonably large book of mares and preferably one that has a high 1st time conception rate .

seansheep

Visit site
I used a 25 yr old stallion, a 21 yr old stallion and a 17 yr old in the past, all by AI and in all cases the mare took first time

part of the thing is down to the mare after all.................

It's not the age of the stallion - it's whether his semen takes to being chilled and if it does take chilled it must be happy mixed with the extender.

A good stud shouldn't try and use a stallion chilled (or frozen) AI unless the semen takes to this method with a good motility.

AndyPandy

Visit site
We regularly have a visiting stallion who is fairly old (24 I think), and his semen is very good for chilled. I think with everything, it varies from stallion to stallion, and as said above - the mare is quite an important factor too
smile.gif

Re: motility - motility is not the only measure of fertility. You can have a stallion whose semen is extremely motile, and will have very low pregnancy rates, and vice versa. You just need to make sure that you're inseminating between 500 Million and 1 billion progressively motile sperm in total, whatever the motility.