Another reason to ban dogs from horse events...

Acolyte

Visit site
at Broadway yesterday I was appalled to see a mother and daughter driving off in their nice horse lorry..... with their terrier still tied to the middle of the front bumper. Thank goodness the people parked next to them shouted at them until they finally stopped, having very nearly crushed the terrier under the front wheel of the lorry in the meantime.

Granted it is a long day at a horse event, and I am sure it will be commented that 'anyone can make a mistake', but I could NEVER "forget" that I had brought a dog with me and drive off in that way. If they are that forgetful, leave it at home where it will be safe!

Tinkerbee

Visit site
shocked.gif

omg that poor dog!!! Thank God someone told them
crazy.gif

atot

Visit site
So stupid - but bet they won't do that again! Do you think dogs who are always under control should be banned? We always bring our little dog to Badminton, and she is so perfectly behaved, and loves 'chatting' to people who come up and say hello. She's never once been a problem, and she hates being left at home. Obviously if the weather is too hot we leave her at home tho.

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
So stupid - but bet they won't do that again! Do you think dogs who are always under control should be banned? We always bring our little dog to Badminton, and she is so perfectly behaved, and loves 'chatting' to people who come up and say hello. She's never once been a problem, and she hates being left at home. Obviously if the weather is too hot we leave her at home tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

On reflection perhaps just stupid, irresponsible or forgetful dogs owners should be banned! I did take my lurcher yesterday, he had a lovely time, bearing in mind he craves attention 24 hours a day he had lots of people making a fuss of him, he thought he was in heaven! Obviously it was nothing like as busy as Badminton so I could even take him round the tradestand area (adjacent to the SJ ring) without any problems, and he doesnt like other dogs or crowds much.

I am undecided about Badminton TBH - I have taken my dogs in the past (if it has not been really hot or really cold weather) but I have always avoided the busy areas, never been round the tradestand areas, or if I do want to go to those places then the person I have been with has held onto the dogs out of harms way. That to me is the ideal compromise I suppose
smile.gif
smile.gif

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Bad title for a post IMHO.

I can't agree more - that was an absolutely horrible thing to happen to the poor dog and it can't be excused. Although you might say that people are only human and, as there are plenty of people who have driven off with the ramp still down on the lorry, I suppose its possible to forget about ANYTHING
confused.gif

However, for many, many people (me included) dogs and horses go hand-in-hand and I would never EVER want the two separated. You can't possibly impose 'nanny state' type rules on the tens of thousands of responsible horse/dog owners for the sake of the odd idiot. Thats as crazy as banning cars because sometimes people crash.

Do you have dogs?

FarthingwoodFox

Visit site
Acolyte does have dogs
smile.gif
gorgeous ones too!

I dont agree they should ban dogs - you are quite right, why let people spoil it for everyone? Its simply not fair and not the kind of society we want to live in.

Acolyte

Visit site
So sorry, I will endeavour to ensure that my posts are correctly titled in future
smile.gif
- perhaps I should have made it clearer that (although I was horrified at what the people did) this was meant to be a slightly tounge in cheek title following the numerous 'ban dogs at Badminton posts' which have appeared recently.

Yes, please see above (and numerous posts in All about Dogs, Soapbox, Picture Gallery etc) - I have had dogs all my life
smile.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
to clarify I do not think dogs should be banned from events, merely irresponsible, selfish or forgetful dog owners

Thank you
smile.gif
smile.gif

ETS - oh pants, thought this would change the title all the way through, obviously not
frown.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have dogs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, on reflection - those are dogs in my sig, all belong (ed) to me!

Miss Tipps

Visit site
Duh - sorry Acolyte (am looking at the dogs in your sig now
blush.gif
). Think you maybe just touched a raw nerve. Didn't mean to cause offence - I'll reel myself back in:)

Acolyte

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Duh - sorry Acolyte (am looking at the dogs in your sig now
blush.gif
). Think you maybe just touched a raw nerve. Didn't mean to cause offence - I'll reel myself back in:)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry too - no need for me to have gone off on one like that - I'm a bit over sensitive about making silly mistakes like that cos actually I agree with you, I should have phrased it differently
blush.gif
Apologies!

atot

Visit site
A very good compromise indeed. The decent dog owners shouldn't be punished because of the irresponsible ones.
smile.gif

Acolyte

Visit site
OMG no I hadn't heard that - we were there Sunday afternoon, I didn't hear any major falls or course stops while we were there
frown.gif
frown.gif

taffy2

Visit site
I agree!!! I went too Badminton this year and apart form me and a few others everybody had a dog or two!!! Two dogs got loose and chased the horses, thank god the horses didnt take a blind bit of notice of the dog attached to its heels!!

I wonder how the dog owners would feel if we took the horses to CRUFTS!!!