Another Sarcoid Thread!

Always-Riding

Visit site
I've read through some previous threads about sarcoids but for some reason I need to start another one.

I bought a mare a while ago with a couple sarcoids but it didn't worry me as the owner was adamant that they've never changed. However, they have gradually got bigger and now has another type - the flat type (occult) in between her back legs and a new verrucous type one has appeared on the girth area.

Luckily she isn't getting ridden at the moment as I have't got a saddle!

I'm thinking of starting her on Sarc-ex to improve her immune system.

Is there anything worth putting on the sarcoids as well?

Ditchjumper2

Visit site
I just used Sarc Ex and the small ones on her lips have gone, and so has the flat lumpy one on her shoulder. Took 5 months.

Last edited:

Bedlam

Visit site
My advice on this is alwasy the same. Take photos of all of them and get your vet to send the photos to Liverpool where the world expert on sarcoids in horses resides - Derek Knottenbelt.

Liverpool will Rx cream of the correct variety to get rid of all them once and for all, or will advise the best course of action otherwise. If it doesn't work first time they will keep working with you until they are gone.

It's quicker and probably in the end cheaper to do it this way rather than work your way through various herbal remedies that may or may not work and if they don't will make things worse and harder to treat.

I KNOW that there are people on here who have had success with high fluoride toothpaste - there is fluoride in the Liverpool Cream, by the way, so it's not news that fluoride helps - but I would want (and have had) my horse treated with the best thing available first time round to get it sorted quickly and with the best longterm outcome. There is considerable scientific proof that the more attempts you have to get rid of a sarcoid the harder it becomes to get rid of - hence wanting to get it right the first time if at all possible.

HelenS

Visit site
I'll be interested in other people's experiences as well. My rising 4 year old has a couple around his sheath, and perhaps another few starting. They have grown very slowly over the past 18 months.

I've bought a tub of Sarc-Ex this afternoon, and I'm looking at Thuja cream and pills.

His mum also had sarcoids at the same age. I used the Liverpool cream that time through the vet and although it was successful, the swelling and discomfort upset me, so I would rather try non-invasive treatment first if possible. :( It may or may not work but I know I can always fall back onto the veterinary route if not.

I've also considered Crest toothpaste which seems to have had some success :). There are so many different ways of dealing with sarcoids I'm beginning to get thoroughly confused :confused:

Always-Riding

Visit site
I've used Liverpool Cream previously and like HelenS I didn't like the discomfort it caused and trying to avoid it at all costs.

Reading all the reviews on here, I think it's worth trying.

kaiserchief

Visit site
My pony is currently having his sarcoids treated homeopathically (by a homeopathic vet that my regular vet referred me to). We chose this route as my pony is rather high strung, hates vets and is a total drama queen if he's sore, so the traditional treatments were immediately ruled out (although Liverpool cream was kept as a fallback on the understanding that the pony would have to be sedated for each treatment and on bute after each treatment to minimise his discomfort).

He's been on the homeopathic remedies for 3 weeks and already two of the sarcoids have shrunk by almost half and the third has turned black and is growing a neck so I'm hopeful it will drop off very soon.

I'm delighted with the results and Kai's not at all upset or worried by the treatment, so I'd recommend speaking to your vet and asking for a referral to your nearest recommended homeopathic vet.

Futureformerlawyer

Visit site
I've used sarcx and thuja (cream and tablets) for 10 months and the sarcoids have in the most part gone. One tiny one left and some were quite big. Also use global herbs detox 4x a

Persephone

Visit site
My advice on this is alwasy the same. Take photos of all of them and get your vet to send the photos to Liverpool where the world expert on sarcoids in horses resides - Derek Knottenbelt.

Liverpool will Rx cream of the correct variety to get rid of all them once and for all, or will advise the best course of action otherwise. If it doesn't work first time they will keep working with you until they are gone.

It's quicker and probably in the end cheaper to do it this way rather than work your way through various herbal remedies that may or may not work and if they don't will make things worse and harder to treat.

I KNOW that there are people on here who have had success with high fluoride toothpaste - there is fluoride in the Liverpool Cream, by the way, so it's not news that fluoride helps - but I would want (and have had) my horse treated with the best thing available first time round to get it sorted quickly and with the best longterm outcome. There is considerable scientific proof that the more attempts you have to get rid of a sarcoid the harder it becomes to get rid of - hence wanting to get it right the first time if at all possible.

The voice of good sense :)

Maisy

Visit site

This was how I felt....My gelding had several sarcoids....one looked like a marble, that was treated with cryotherapy and then liverpool cream and 5 warty looking ones on his face that have been treated with liverpool cream and have recently been lasered. His poor face was a complete mess and I am sure he was in pain....but I wanted to treat them as quickly and effectively as I could in the first instance and whilst the insurance was running. If they come back and he is no longer insured, I will consider the less scientific methods.....

Cooperfam

Visit site
Had my horses sarcoids photographed today so going to follow the advice about Liverpool Doc.

My Vet recommended we go this route as it has the greatest chance of success. He said if it was his horse he wouldn't hesitate....good enough for me.

springtime13

Visit site
So difficult isn't it. The youngster I've got at the moment has 4 or 5 between his front legs, they have a horn like appearance, are quite small and don't seem to give him any bother. However, I asked the vet to check them to double check they were sarcoids and now we have 12 months to sort them, before the exclusion on the insurance - even if we don't treat them. The vet himself said he would probably leave them. I'm worried about putting the youngster through possibly pain and discomfort, especially during the fly season. Decisions, decisions :(

Tiggyde

Visit site
Hi, my boy developed a few sarcoids and I was going to leave them until one presented under his girth area which interfered when ridden. I had the Liverpool cream treatment and it worked fantastically at clearing that one and another on his sheath. The cream was very aggressive and the area was not very nice for a while after but eventually cleared up. However the sarcoids on his chest it made an absolute mess of, didn't clear them and left a lot of scar tissue. He had two courses of Liverpool cream treatment which cost around £1500 in total. Since then I have put him on zinc tablets in his dinner having read that they helped. A few small sarcoids that had come up after his Liverpool cream treatment fell off and now after a year of having the zinc tablets the ones on his chest have cleared along with all of the scar tissue left by the Liverpool cream and he has not developed any more! It has been fantastic and he will now stay on Zinc tablets!

poniesanddogs

Visit site
Hi
We successfully treated a Point to Pointer many years ago who had Sarcoids on his eyelids with Thuja cream and Thuja Capsules, both bought from a chemist.
This horse had various treatments with previous owners that hadn`t worked. Thuja does work but it does take time - good luck !

texas

Visit site
Pony had a sarcoid last year, left it alone all summer cos it was small and didn't change. Grew to more than 4 times the size in 6 weeks over the winter, had the vet out. Went in for a minor op to have it cut off (it had a very small root big head) at the end of January and VET recommended aciclovir cream for 6 weeks after healing and any subsequent sarcoids when I first notice them develop. We shall see what happens with this one now that it is healed.