Another shoe removal update

Archie73

Visit site
Hello

Not been on here for a while but though I would just add an update as I had Archie's shoes off April 2012 and tried to start a rehab at home on a farm with so many rules and one of the known richest pastures in Kent.

Last post here: http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=533105

Before I go further horse is sound in fast trot on tarmac although does feel stones on smooth (like I did when I ran out to car un shoed last night). and if left to too much grass will go footy then lame.

He was diagnosed as Navicular Disease with damage in both feet to DDFT, Impar ligament, collateral ligament, pedal osteoarthritis. There were a few more bits but not got MRI's to hand.

I was told it was a matter of time before retire after remedial shoeing failed him and then PTS. I asked about barefoot and support to Rockley and was told it would not work for Archie by vet, farrier said nothing to lose by trying barefoot but as he took off sole with shoe removal I decided not to go with him, open minded as he was. Horse was sound in wedges and pads when shoes off.

Lucy Priory was the trimmer Pines of Rome on here put me in touch with (thanks POR:))and she saved my horses working life by educating me too as well as attending to him feed and foot wise.

My boy is currently ridden twice weekly to Elementary level dressage (not by me lol) is jumping on surface and hacks out at all paces (loves a gallop on a stony/grass farm track) and all terrine, some times with front boots some times not. I do not do enough bare roadwork.

The feet look ok but not where I want them although I can do what I want so who cares :)

Oh and he self trims and I do roll the edges :) no chips no splits and on one foot no frog at apex as he sliced it off in field!! Last pro trim August 2012.

The downside- he is in a muzzle (I hate this and cried but was persuaded to try- he seems to think its a game!) to go out for 6 hours atm as can only handle a little of our grass right now but as he is high up in the herd of 30 and the farmer wont accommodate further and I live and work in Central London, I don't have much choice. I tried overnight turnout and he goes lame at 7 hours out (midnight to 7am) which is really hard on me!!

Other then that I had 7 month of not being able to give him full attention due to a family disaster so overall this is a bit of a happy post.

I will get pics up soon if any interest.

Thanks to all BT on here as without you I would not be having great times on my boy.

The downside of this is I am now a feed and foot guru on my yard and am constantly asked questions so I give the advice and get ignored lol oh well!

pines of rome

Visit site
So nice to hear from you, glad things are working out ok for you! Lucy is so good at what she does, she was still giving me advice from her hospital bed.
Like you, we can trot on a nice smooth bit of tarmac, but need boots for anything else, but I can live with that, I am just glad to still have Romeo and be able to ride him!:)

ALO

Visit site
Thank you for your post, I'm currently experiencing a similar situation, we are about one month in and are hacking and schooling. It's good to see that you can jump yours and all seems well as I'd hope to get mine back jumping again if I can!can I ask how long you left it post injury before you started to introduce some jumping?do you ever jump him on grass?or just stick to a surface?
Thanks!

Archie73

Visit site
Thank you for your post, I'm currently experiencing a similar situation, we are about one month in and are hacking and schooling. It's good to see that you can jump yours and all seems well as I'd hope to get mine back jumping again if I can!can I ask how long you left it post injury before you started to introduce some jumping?do you ever jump him on grass?or just stick to a surface?
Thanks!

Hi ALO

I found the schooling a bigger achievement then the jumping as soft tissue damage and small circles are not meant to mix. Travers, Shoulder in at trot and counter canter on 15m circles are things I never thought Archie would be able to do again!

I would not be worried about jumping on grass at all, only the hardness of the ground below it and the level of grip we may have depending on weather conditions but these are factors I think all riders should consider regardless of hoof circumstance. A surface will always be better IMO.

Personally I don't believe the damaged ligaments caused Archie any pain, I think it was simply a compromised laminie that did not hold everything in place so his pedal bones dropped and with his thin soles, i think it showed up more on turns when the hoof was obviously having to load unevenly in order to turn that caused issues.

If your horse is landing heel first then I can't see a problem myself.

As for time, as long as it takes for consistent heel first landing (I still don't have this due to lack of road work but 20mins schooling brings it on fine) so maybe i should not be jumping but has not done any harm yet and Archie is loves it! (he bounds at every pole!).

I check my boy every day, his pulses, any signs of filling swelling, hoof tempreture and a test walk, this method has not failed me yet and all i do is go back a step if he is not correct, like a day in off grass with a higher work level, he has been lame (1 tenth, i foot) for 2 days this year.

As we don't have VETS guiding us its all trail and error! Best of luck!!!