Another Stallion Suggestions - With pics

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
I really don't think Mouseinthe house is a troll. I think she has been quite mature to stay out of this awful thread that has slated her horse and her decision to breed from her. She seems to have removed the pictures of her mare and I can't say I blame her, I would have done the same. I really think you should remove the photo of her horse from your post Magic, she would have every right to be furious that you have posted it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OP, don't be disheartened, what ever the temptation, ignore the experts, and do as you will. Who's horse is it anyway? ;)

Quite! I, for one, do not feel every breeder needs to carry the custodianship of bettering British Breeding... What does bettering British breeding mean anyway when there are so many people wanting so many different things from so many different types of horses???

I do not believe mouseinthehouse had any intention. I think this thread was started by a coward who wanted to start an argument, because this forum is incapable of debating. I had already noticed that they were in & out monitoring this thread yet only made 2 posts. I kinda guessed something was off, but never mind I have learnt something these past couple of days & I am now going to be a bit more careful about who I accept as a friend.

So well done mouseinahouse, lets hope you dont stumble into someone elses trap!!

I've been "in & out monitoring this thread " as well - call it morbid fascination as it descended into new depth of the ridiculous... :eek:

Paranoid, obtuse, mad & box of frogs spring to mind, as well as a few others :eek::eek::eek:

Adorable Alice, I hope you have lots of fun with your lovely girl & Mouseinthehouse too, when yours is born :D

Last edited:

AdorableAlice

Visit site
aa, i must admit your mare is a heavy one, i like something lighter personally, but, that foal is super, the last one i had that looked like that grew into a champion working hunter cob, perhaps he was a bit lighter though.

who is the father of the foal,? he looks in superb condition and very well cared for, hope he has a great future!

Thank you, it's a little filly by Avanti Amorous Archie RID.

The picture of the mare is the poorest I could find, if you saw her in the flesh she is actually very correctly put together and moves really well, biggest fault is a very thick gullet. She is thought to be by a small Shire out of a cob, but the breeding is unknown. She rides/drives and has a golden temperament.

I used the poor picture to highlight how bad a horse can look in a photo and I felt very sorry for they way the OP had been spoken to, and also to illustrate that a ordinary mare can produce a useable pleasure horse as long as research is done before choosing a mate.

I have shown hunters and quite like a bit of showing but the foal is destined to be a hack for my old age. She is 14.3 and is a yearling now so she won't measure in as a cob but she may be good enough to do maxi cobs, maybe, if she throws back to the Shire in the dam, she might grow on into a hunter.

She was specifically bred to have alot of bone, I am no stick insect and people just don't seem to bred horses with bone anymore.

GinnieRedwings

Visit site
AA, I thought she was an Archie baby. He does stamp them, doesn't he?

She's lovely & if she is anything like him, she will truly be a horse of a lifetime :)

tristar

Visit site
AA, the one i had was part shire too! he was a very light, balanced and good mover too, same colour as your foal, how lucky its a filly.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
AA, the one i had was part shire too! he was a very light, balanced and good mover too, same colour as your foal, how lucky its a filly.

Ask me in 3 years ! I have never ridden a mare. Here is a better picture of the dam, do you think she is half Shire ? she is only 15 hands but is very deep. This was taken the evening before she foaled.

440.jpg

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I don't usually reply on these topics as I am not in the Sports Horse world and don't know any of the stallions. However I always notice on this type of thread similar responses, such as the one from Magic104. How often do we hear that there are plenty of nice well bred foals out there to buy? Who breeds these? (Perhaps people who push the idea of buying them...??)

Magic104 I see from earlier threads that you have bred a foal this year, and I am pleased that your mare got over the complications that arose, but if you are breeding one yourself then I am sorry who are you to tell someone else to go out and buy one instead? You seem to have a rather direct approach to any confo critique, which I applaud as I hate asking for someone's opinion and just being told what they think I want to hear, but to dismiss the OP with such strong phrases and then to sum it up as representing all that is wrong in British breeding is not helpful just patronising.

IMO one problem with British breeding is that too many 'performance' horses are bred. Who breeds just ordinary, everyday best friends? To me the mare above may have her faults, but they haven't stopped her from leading an active useful life and a great temperament is a huge attribute on it's own. For the stated objective of the OP, pleasure rides, beach hacking, a little RC competition, the mare looks a good candidate. If the OP is not looking to sell then whether *to* breed is not a factor it is *what* to breed that counts. And if in future the foal ever would need selling then a good tempered allround with less then perfect conformation will outsell and highly strung, well bred, performance type confo blueprint.

As far as stallions go, as I have said I don't know sports horse sires, but I would look for a stallion that is short-coupled with plenty behind him and well sprung pasterns. A neat, quality head but not too light of bone. Maybe QH, Anglo or even one of the bigger Connemara's?

Well said!

tristar

Visit site
AA, i love mares, mind you i love all of them really, and she looks half shire to me, not that i take that study shires, except when i do see them i think what lovely things they are, and usually a very nice shape.

that photo is much better.

carole parsons the dressage rider, who competed at the olympics in dressage with an anglo-arab has two shire cross horses, one's called giddy, forgot what the other's called, and i think i'm right in saying they both work at grand prix

Visit site
For everyone who has posted on this thread with your very informed advice, suggestions and very kind support, thank you very much for taking the time - it is appreciated.

I posted photos of my mare who means the world to me for constructive criticism about her conformation and possible stallion suggestions. No, they aren't the best photos, like myself she is not very photogenic, her feet are actually a work in progress, her pasterns aren’t quite as upright as the photos show, and in hindsight I should have persevered for better pictures.

To set the record straight, I am not a troll, nor a coward - I have only posted twice, as I felt the thread was getting out of hand and I didn’t want to get drawn into the ‘discussions’. I have also removed the photos for the same reason. Magic please remove the photo that you have put up in one of your later threads.

Magic 104 - your first post, as I have said previously, didn't offend me as I took it as exactly what I asked for - constructive criticism. However since that first post you have seemed hell bent on shoving your opinion down everyone's throat. That is why everyone else has taken up with trying to bring you down a peg or two – even when they actually agree with you in principal!

I don't appreciate how you have turned this so nasty, it was certainly never my intentions. I also do not appreciate and will not reply to personal messages of such a threatening nature. I have not **** stirred anything up - you've done that all by yourself!

jamesmead

Visit site
Have to say that I am really impressed by mouseinthehouse's good sense and dignity in handling this thread. WHAT an introduction to this forum and to breeding and breeders!

For the record, in the OPs position I would breed from my mare; I'd consider carefully what, if anything, I wished to change or improve and I wouldn't ask anyone's permission!

For this mare, to keep the substance, I'd also check out some of the modern Knabstrup types; I also remember reading about a Criollo (can't think of his name offhand; maybe someone else can remember it?) standing in Scotland whose soundness, toughness and capacity for work - performance tested in his homeland to a degree that is simply not seen in this country - should recommend him to anyone wanting to breed a useful sort.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Have to say that I am really impressed by mouseinthehouse's good sense and dignity in handling this thread. WHAT an introduction to this forum and to breeding and breeders!

Hear, hear!

Sportznight

Visit site
Have to say that I am really impressed by mouseinthehouse's good sense and dignity in handling this thread.

Completely agree!!

I also remember reading about a Criollo (can't think of his name offhand; maybe someone else can remember it?) standing in Scotland whose soundness, toughness and capacity for work - performance tested in his homeland to a degree that is simply not seen in this country - should recommend him to anyone wanting to breed a useful sort.

This chap! http://www.chamfronstud.com/arrayannuma/

lurcherlu

Visit site
Hiya,

First of all, I'm gutted i missed the photos, I like my chunky cob types. I have an exmoor x ID type mare and am always thinking shame shes not a stally so i could cover my coloured cob x mare with her lol. A ID x would be nice i think. You can never gaurentee anything, just because you buy a weanling/yearling etc doesnt mean they will make it to 4 years old. My 2 and 3 year olds test their suicide ideas daily. What ever you choose to do I am sure you will end up happy with what your mare produces..... all foals are cute- its the grown up beggers that are the problem! Good luck sweetie and enjoy every minute of the mares pregnancy ?(when you choose something good nough for your young lady ) and enjoy every second of the foal :)

greasedweasel

www.chamfronstud.com

For the record, in the OPs position I would breed from my mare; I'd consider carefully what, if anything, I wished to change or improve and I wouldn't ask anyone's permission!

For this mare, to keep the substance, I'd also check out some of the modern Knabstrup types; I also remember reading about a Criollo (can't think of his name offhand; maybe someone else can remember it?) standing in Scotland whose soundness, toughness and capacity for work - performance tested in his homeland to a degree that is simply not seen in this country - should recommend him to anyone wanting to breed a useful sort.

Totally agree with the comment about Mouseinthehouse and thanks for the recommendation (and to SN for the link) Don't know if he'd be big enough for the OP though (he's 14.2)? However if I can help with photos of his progeny or anything else please do give me a shout.

Also agree with the Knab suggestion what about something like - http://www.tresaisonstud.co.uk/Stallions at Stud.htm

mellissa

Visit site
I have to say that I think this kind of thread was coming.

This is a breeding forum and is supposed to bring together people with an interest of breeding horses- experts and novices.

I for one have been so dismayed lately with the number of posts about "stallion suggestions", and inevitably someone jumps in saying their mare shouldn't be bred from as it has bad confo/pedigree/head/name whatever. I think this kind of backlash was coming as people are getting pi**ed of with being told to buy something else as it's cheaper.

We all feel passionately about what we do. It is not the breeding of horses that is clogging up the rescue centres, it is the economy. There has never been a time when more consideration has gone into breeding, people don't have the money to keep them.

I dont consider myself a breeding expert, but I have an equine degree and have been competing British showjumping for many years. I use top class international stallions on competition mares. I can ride what I breed. I doubt that many posters who say that mares shouldn't be bred from unless they have a high level performance record could actually ride the resulting animal, and ensure it fulfills expectation that it's genetics suggest.

I have learned much from my limited breeding experience, and enjoy coming onto the forum to see foals and relate the excitement the other members are feeling whilst awaiting the arrival of their foals.

It is disgusting the first experience the OP has of a forum is a bad one. It is the advice that is priceless on a forum like this.

There are a surplus of horses currently due to the economy. Market prices are bad and not likely to recover for a long time. In view of this real consideration must be taken before breeding and good attributes must be present in both mare and stallion.

Yes it is cheaper to buy than breed in many circumstances. But you could be wasting your money on something else like buying a brand new car and driving it off the forecourt.

Breeding has given me real pleasure that money can't buy.

Please guys, when someone asks for advice on a forum please find a way of putting it across.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have to say that I think this kind of thread was coming.

This is a breeding forum and is supposed to bring together people with an interest of breeding horses- experts and novices.

I dont consider myself a breeding expert, but I have an equine degree and have been competing British showjumping for many years. I use top class international stallions on competition mares. I can ride what I breed. I doubt that many posters who say that mares shouldn't be bred from unless they have a high level performance record could actually ride the resulting animal, and ensure it fulfills expectation that it's genetics suggest.

Please guys, when someone asks for advice on a forum please find a way of putting it across.

Very very well said and a breath of fresh air on the 'shall I breed from my mare puzzle'

The OP, myself and many other family mare owners will read this post with relief. We want to breed for ourselves and to ride the offspring and the research we do ensures we produce as far as possible, the type we want, not the next Badminton winner that scares us pleasure riders silly.

Our young cobs or middle/heavyweight horses will do everything I want and probably more if required and if I fall off my perch earlier than planned I am sure the steady neddy will be loved and enjoyed by someone else.

Kaylum

Visit site
Many people on here are very experienced and the advice they give is their point of view. As we know with horses we never stop learning, so often something has happend in your horse life that has never happenend in other peoples. Its a passion and passion is therefore expressed sometimes not in a way others can understand.

Its trying to help people to avoid making the same mistakes and having the same heartbreaks. Thats why sometimes it gets nasty and rude but I am sure it is passion based.

OP please dont be put off posting. I have learnt so much and keep learning everyday.

amy_b

Visit site

Good call!! I really like this guy, not big enough for us sadly as our mare is only 15.2 and we want to put height into the mix but if one of them was bigger I would seriosuly consider this boy! he has some really nice foals on the ground and his owner who is on here sent me a really nice PM pointing me in the direction of pictures when he came up last time. :)